Block for base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block for base

Has anybody used 6"x8"x16" block instead of the 8"x8"x16" block for the base of the wfo ? I'm collecting materials for a Pompeii oven at this time.

I have built retaining walls around my property using the 6" block, I live in San Diego County and the county building standards (codes) say you can build a wall four (4') feet high using the 6" wide block. If you go higher than four (4') feet high, you have to use 8" block.

Anybody have any ideas on this or have used the 6" block for the base ?

Thanks, Gary
    "You can tell a dutchman,
    but you can't tell him much"

Re: Block for base

Hi- I used 6x8x16 inch blocks and they seem perfectly adequate to me. The only thing that didn't occur to me is that you end up with a couple of 2 inch gaps per tier to line up with the 8x 16 dimension. Of course it will be covered up later. I did add a center pier for a little more security and was glad I did since I kind of messed-up the "pour" of the hearth. You can see what the stand looks like in my photo gallery. Gary [Also]

Comment

Gary, thanks for the answer, I was planning on making a center wall across also like an "H". I thought as you that the 6" wide blocks would be ok.

Gary

Comment

6x8x16 are actually optimal. They are cheaper, have large enough cores to grout with rebar, and are still wide enough to be easy to lay (4x8x16 would work for most ovens, but are a PIA to lay).

Comment

Hey Gary,
          If you can make your center wall in the shape of a W (I_I_I) then you don't have to sacrifice any storage space under your oven. Just a thought...
          John

Comment

John, I also thought about that, but where I am going to locate the oven, I think the "H" will work out so I can have storage and access at each end in stead of everything on one side.

Comment

i'll be building from Ytong foam-concrete blocks (60cm x 20cm x 25cm)
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...guy-16753.html

Comment

John, I also thought about that, but where I am going to locate the oven, I think the "H" will work out so I can have storage and access at each end in stead of everything on one side
                Makes sense to me!

Comment

I used 8 inch blocks in an "H" layout. I did not fill with concrete as no way are they going to move! Just laid the top slab, 6 inch concrete, all looks good so far. Used rebar in top slab of course.

Comment

Working...
                  X