Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 40" WFO in the New Orleans

Looking great!

Did you happen to take any pictures of how the 6th and 7th courses tied into the arch?

jeff
    Jeff
    My 42-inch build

Comment

Congratulations Tu,
      I see that Lburou has added a new link to the Newbie's Survey. You really must start thinking about naming your mistress .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Jeff,

Unfortunately, I did not take much picture this area during the build but I think I know the problem you are having in this area. Here is what I did for the last course that contacted the arch. I just turn the brick upright instead of laying it flat in the arch area only so that brick can reach to the arch with minimum mortar. Of course, you would also have to bevel and angle cut like you did the flat.
        Last edited by banhxeo76; 03-16-2012, 11:33 AM.
        Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Hey banhxeo76
          Here in Ireland I have been following with fascination your progress down there in New Orleans, and you are doing a great job especially considering a lot of it must be done when your wife is not watching, and that demanding mistress is misbehaving also
          Nice work on the vent also which area is part of my next job. keep it up I will be robbing ideas.
          BTW I found this green alien in my oven today. Like you I was shocked at first, but was relieved when on closer inspection it turned out to be just a clump of Irish shamrock sheltering before celebrations! Watch out all oven owners tommorrow you can expect an invasion of this species
          L? Fh?ile P?draig Sona Duit
          Amac
          Amac
          Link to my WFO build

Comment

Awesome!! What a prefect timing! I want some good luck shamrock for my WFO too! Happy St. Patrick Day to you mate!
            Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

It has been 4 weeks since I placed the key stone into the dome, now it is time for the curing.....slow curing, very slow curing.

I started with 250-Watt Incandescent Heat Lamp Light Bulb as a heat source last night and I am planning to have it on in there nonstop for the next 7 days. Then I will switch the heat source to 500-Watt quartz light to increase the heat nonstop for the following 7 days. I made a temporary door out of Styrofoam with two 1/2" holes on the top and two more holes on the bottom. I am planning to keep the door shut overnight and open it up during the day time. I opened up the door this morning and ambient temperature was 72 F. The floor was 112 F, top of the dome was 120 F and the exterior temperature of the dome was 85 F. My goal with this slow curing for the next two weeks is to keep the temperature below 212 F because water supposed to start steaming at that temperature which is a bad thing. My goal is to remove all of moisture out of the brick and mortar without any sign of steaming before I will start any kind of fire to minimize any crack.

At the meantime, I will start working on the door for the WFO. The design for my door will be the same as the one designed by jcg31with some modifications. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/o...html#post54043
              Last edited by banhxeo76; 03-20-2012, 07:10 AM.
              Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

You're on your way.. Consider moving to the Quartz in a day or two. As long as you're surface temps are below the 212F you're in the safe zone. I don't think the quartz will push over these temps with all of the water and it'll move more air through the oven.

Anyway it's worth a try if it's too agressive swap back to the lower wattage lamp.

Chris

Comment

Chris,

For two days, the dome temperature seemed to peek at 120 F at the top inside of the dome and I was planning to moving to quartz today. However, I checked this morning and temperature increased to 130 F at the top. So, I decided just to keep the lower wattage lamp until it peek for a while or until day 7. It is still very humid everytime I opened up the door to check on the temperature.

The main reason why I don't want to push to quartz yet is because it has only been 14 days since concrete cladding applied on the exterior of the WFO (it has been more that 4 weeks for brick and mortar). Therefore, I just want to take my time on curing with lower wattage lamp for now.
                  Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Hi Banhxeo,

I would suggest sliding your door out a bit so the heated moist air can escape and that will speed up the drying.

Comment

I checked this morning and the temperature inside of the dome seemed to peek at 125-130 F at top and 115-120 range on the floor. Exterior of the dome about was at 85 F with ambient temperature of 61 F. I decided to go ahead and increase the heat source for curing to quartz lamp which is about 500 watt with the door opened.

Laurentius, my styrofoam door has 4 holes in it to let the heated moist air out. I only closed the door over night and removed it up during the day time.
                      Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

You've got amazing patience. Good for you TuDat.

I'm sure you've seen some posts about it but in addition to the quartz at 500 deg, before you actually start any fires, do you have access to a small portable heater with a fan? Most have an 800-900 mid or high setting with a fan (I'm sure the brick surface temp would stay below that) and could be a useful step before the small fires. Maybe having it on for two or three 12 hour periods or so.

Keep watching that humidiy and moist air and let that be your guide. You'll be happy you did (what you're doing now) in the long run,
                        -
                        dino
                        "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
                          You've got amazing patience. Good for you TuDat.

do you have access to a small portable heater with a fan? Most have an 800-900 mid or high setting with a fan-

dino
                          I thought about those portable heaters with a fan but those heaters usually have a built-in automatic shut off for when it reached a certain temperature.
                          Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
                            I thought about those portable heaters with a fan but those heaters usually have a built-in automatic shut off for when it reached a certain temperature.
                            They have but at least in the one I have it's adjustable.

Comment

This morning, the temperature inside of the dome was between 165-170 F at the top and 140-145 F range on the floor. Exterior of the dome was about at 120 F with ambient temperature of 68 F. Heat sources are three 250 watt quartz lamps which are pointing three different directions to make sure that heat are being distributed evenly. I will keep on doing this for the next 5 days. Then I will try with charcoal next because I think it allow me to burn longer without tending like I would have with smaller firewood. I am aiming for temperature between 300-350 F ranges with the charcoal next or is that too aggressive for slow curing. I would like to use propane torch like SC Chris but I am trying to save a few bucks here.

As soon as the weather stops raining, I will work on the framing. I will be picking up 3/4 cord of oak for $120 in Slidell this weekend. I am thinking about getting into tree cutting business on the side so that I can feed my WFO. Perhaps, I can barter some hearth bread for firewood!

I have started two sour dough starters a few days ago. One sour dough starter is for bread which is consists of organic 50% wheat flour and 50% rye flour. The other sour dough starter is for pizza and I purchased that starter from this website. Italian Cultures (includes 2) | Sourdoughs International
                              So far, I can see the air bubble both of the starters but bread starter smelled pretty funky this morning. Hopefully, they will get better as they continue to be feed and aged.
                              Last edited by banhxeo76; 03-26-2012, 08:26 AM.
                              Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Quartz lamp peaked at 175 F for three days so I decided last yesterday that it is time for fire! Well, it is not really wood fire because I am using chafing fuel to cure the oven to 210-250 F ranges. I brought a dozen of chafing fuel from Sam’s club and I have 4 chafing fuel lit up at first. After 90 minutes, it peaked at 250 F and let it burn for 6 hours (or until it burned out of fuel). I partially closed the WFO with some bricks but I leave just enough opening so that I have just enough oxygen to keep the fire going. So far, I see no crack or steam yet.
                                Last edited by banhxeo76; 03-26-2012, 07:26 AM.
                                Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Working...
                                X