X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ronwass
    replied
    Re: Moving My Oven, the miniseries. Part 1 - Introduction

Whatever happened here? Curious minds want to know.

Seems to me that the labor expenditure of dismantling just to save the bricks would be offset by selling the oven to the landlord and buying new bricks. Maybe even sell it for a new pallet of bricks, as it were.

If I was a landlord in this situation, that would certainly be worth it to me.

A yard with a WFO increases the value of the property, and also makes it more attractive to rent.

Leave a comment:

• waitingtocook
    replied

Thanks guys,

Yes I have a compressor and I reckon for $50 for a pneumatic chisel its def worth a try.

If not, I'll go the tomahawk route. With 10 fingers to start with.....

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

A tomahawk is a pretty good tool for cleaning off mortar from bricks.

Leave a comment:

• TropicalCoasting
    replied

have you got/can borrow a compressor?
    get an air chisel
    Pneumatic Chisel - Pneumatic/Air Pistol Grip Chisel | eBay
    never tried but I have done a fair bit by hand and I would get one next time I had too.

Leave a comment:

• waitingtocook
    replied

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I am now indeed hoping to take the oven apart and reuse the bricks in a new oven. I started a thread asking for any advice whatsoever on the subject,

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ion-17479.html

as I know nothing about it. I'm assuming the main issue will be clearing the mortar off of the bricks. A guy at Bunnings told me a pick axe works best. I'm thinking as all the bricks were cut in half to start with, I won't need to cut as many, and wont need a brick saw which will help with the $.

I can see me spending a few weekends hunched over chipping mortar away from the bricks. But in the meantime, its onto planning one last massive pizza party for the current oven. It will also double as a bit of a memorial for my uncle too, who loved the pizza from it, and insisted on an invite whenever it was fired.

Leave a comment:

• Mike D
    replied

-Sorry to hear about the death in the family. That sucks.
    -Is it possible to dismantle brick and re use them? Won't the mortar be hard to remove?

Mike

Leave a comment:

• waitingtocook
    replied

Hey Jim,

Here are some quick pics of my oven as it is now.I'll be sure to send you some more detailed ones once I start to take it apart. Feel free to pm me any questions. I've started to remove some of the exterior tiling from around the landing area, and the palms broke free of their constraints in the wind the lost few weeks and need to be trimmed off, so excuse them.

As you can see, I built the base out of red gum stumps, two legs across the front and four down each side. Each leg is two stumps thick, (two bolted together) The corner legs are 3 stumps, in an L shape. See the first 2 pics.

On top of each leg is another red gum post that runs across the width of the oven. Then on top of that, sits the pallet type arrangement. Not a pallet per se, but it leaves enough room between the pallet part and the horizontal posts to fit the fork lift into. The formwork for the concrete base was then built ontop of and around that. Then I edged it in red gum sleepers to give it rigidity. As you can see. As the majority of the weight f the oven is around the perimeter, it makes sense to have the most support on the edges.

I haven't taken the front sleeper off, but when I do, I'll show you a better pic of how it looks, which will give you a better idea of how the forklift can get access under.

A brick base is ideal, and my new oven will be permanent and on one, but this has served its purpose just fine and does not budge and inch! Plus, I get to burn all the red gum when I build my new oven. Kind of a circle of life type thing.

Leave a comment:

• jimkramer
    replied

Can you post pics of your oven as it is now? (Assuming you haven't taken it down yet.) I'm curious to see how it's set up so you can move it. I'd like to set mine up like that, in case I want to move it to another location in my yard. We plan to make lots of changes in my yard that will probably occur over a period of years, and it would be nice to be able to move it if need be. I can imagine a pallet under it, but that seems too weak to hold up for a few years. HOwever, seems you were able to pull it off.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

[QUOTE=waitingtocook;125582). Perhaps some old tyres ?

Nicko[/QUOTE]

When transporting oven kits I place an old large diam dirt bike front tyre on the pallet then put the supporting slab on it and everything else sits on top of that. Works really well, haven't had a failure yet. You can get these tyres for nothing from the bike shops as they are just rubbish for them, you may need four.

Leave a comment:

• waitingtocook
    replied

Hi all, sorry for not contuing or updating this thread. I thank all for their input and advice. It sure would have been a a site and an experience to try and move the oven, whether it collapses into a pile of rubble or not.

Due to a death in the family, circumstances have changed and I cannot move it anymore. So I have decided to dismantle it and rebuild in its new location.

If anyone near me does decide to move an oven, I've got my hand raised and ready to volunteer in any way possible to help out.

Thanks,

Nicko

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by waitingtocook View Post
    Perhaps some old tires?

Nicko
    Some what?

Leave a comment:

• waitingtocook
    replied

Crumble it may Al, only time will tell! But now I'm hooked on the idea of trying to move it, and if it works, hurrah! If it crumbles, then I get to rebuild! Hurrah again!

You have got me thinking about how to make the oven as secure as possible whilst in transit, not so it doesn't fall of the truck, but more so it has no opportunity to flex too much. I was thinking about putting some suspension underneath it on the truck some how. Perhaps some old tyres ?

Nicko
    Last edited by waitingtocook; 01-11-2012, 03:45 AM. Reason: opps imeant tyres not tires

Leave a comment:

• TropicalCoasting
    replied

I would be calling Monster Moves to film it.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

I have a feeling it will all just collapse into a pile of rubble, especially if the oven has been fired before.
    The adhesion between the bricks will have been compromised with the heat and as soon as you start to jiggle it........

It would be quicker to knock down and rebuild.
    And I want to see a vid of it too....

Leave a comment:

• waitingtocook
    replied

There will be pics, rest assured. A lot of pics. Like I said tho, I'm only at the planning stage at the moment. I am designing the new stand at the moment, and will soon post some sketchup drawings and photos of the current situation so you can all get a better idea what I'm proposing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X