Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scotty's 36" Build on the Sunshine Coast, Australia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotty's 36" Build on the Sunshine Coast, Australia.

Long time reader of this forum, I have now started construction on my own 36" oven.
    Im using fire bricks (175 of them) on top of a Vermiculite 75mm slab.
    I have taken about 10 days to get this far and am about to close the dome, I will do a curing fire about 10 days after closing then apply the Ceramic blanket and mortar/render the final shell.
    Photos to follow.

Re: Scotty's 36" Build on the Sunshine Coast, Australia.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Hey Doug, thanks for the heads up, it will be hard to make it any wider (left to right, it's currently 3 bricks wide) but I think I could make it thicker with a bit of ease. I'll cut into the front course of bricks tomorrow to make it 100mm front to back? I have a 2m 150mm stainless flue that will sit ontop, so that should draw well?
                I'll make the adjustments tomorrow.
                Thanks again.
                Scotty

Comment

I am going to get a sheet of 6 or 8mm stainless laser cut to cover the facia bricks up around the arch, I thought that the bit that gets cut out of the middle will obviously fit the door opening. My question is would a bit of 6 or 8mm stainless with some form of handle and leg to stay upright suffice for the door? will the heat warp the stainless?
                  Thoughts.

Comment

Ok, Flue opening modified today thanks to Doug and his guidance.

And today I ran out of Fire Bricks!! with only about 4 more full bricks needed Its chewed up 175 Fire Bricks so far and I reckon I've only wasted about 2-3 in cut off wastage.....
                    Tomorrow back to the brick joint for another 10, just to be sure!.

Comment

So I got my extra bricks and spend last weekend cutting in the last ring and then the middle brick. So fiddly

I waited for a day and then started the curing process, I know probably didn't wait long enough.....

Got myself a gas ring burner and left it running on low for 24 hours.

Temp got to after 24 hours 80 Deg C on the lower sections and up to 180 Deg C at the inside of the dome, the heat soaked thru after about 10 hours to the point that I had to hold back the tears if I put my hand on the out side of the top on the dome.
                      Ill leave it for a couple days now before I wrap it in the insulating ceramic blanket.

Comment

More of the Curing process,

Found this today at the shops, could have saved myself a heap of trouble.

Got an 8 inch 6 foot long flu coming and have my local laser cutter cutting me some 3mm stainless to cover the facia and my door is going to be a bit 6mm cement sheet sandwiched between 6mm Stainless on the fire side and 3mm stainless out side, getting the idea of hot forging some big copper rivets to hold it all together.
                        Also ordered today all the 30mm sandstone tiles for the slab surface, I will seal it with a wet seal to bring out the grain of the sandstone.

Comment

Originally posted by scottsummers View Post

Ill leave it for a couple days now before I wrap it in the insulating ceramic blanket.
                          Prolly best to some curing fires before you insulate otherwise you just trap the moisture in the oven.
                          It takes months for the oven to come good with no moisture in it.
                          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Al,
                            when you say curing fires, do you think I should actually light a fire in there or just continue with my ring burner, turning up the temp each time??
                            Thanks

Scotty

Comment

Light some small fires, dont go the whole Devil fires just yet, small and low, for a week or so.

Hey that has a ring to it.....

The gas burner is only good to a point.
                              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                              X