Lilydale 42" build, Yarra Valley, Victoria, Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lilydale 42" build, Yarra Valley, Victoria, Australia

Started doing the twelfth course but gave up as the 'tapers' were becoming too radical and the time taken to cut them was increasing exponentially. Decided to convert this course into the 'key-plug'. We poured it using castable and it took 10 minutes to complete the dome.
    The flue gathering is a bit of a challenge. Whilst some progress was made, the feeling of being lost and out of our depth pervaded.
    We will strip the formwork tomorrow to both the dome and front archway and then we will finally be able to see the inside of the dome.
    Andrew

Comment

Stripped the forms very early this Sunday morning. Might leave the inside of the dome exactly as is and spend the day cleaning up a bit.
      Still mulling over how to finish the outside of the entry and flue gathering; if to render (will it withstand the heat?) or insulate with blanket first then render. Love to hear any ideas.
      A

Comment

Always happy to put off the cleaning and tidying. Finished the entrance and flue gathering and, despite much trepidation, seemed to work out nicely; but will it work so? Will attach the s/s flue system tomorrow...and maybe clean up a bit too. Pondering whether to light up before installing the blanket insulation and rendering....... or after? Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by andyshak View Post
          but will it work
          No.
          You have blocked off the flue with that brick laid flat on both sides, you may as well have just bricked it up completely.
          The smoke will find the easiest way out, the front entry.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks Al. But you might have to explain that further. The bricks to which you refer are covering the top of the flue gathering. They in no way block access of the smoke to the 8" flue. I will be happy to report how well it draws........or otherwise!
            Andrew

Comment

You cant just lay a brick horizontal to "gather" you have to progressively bring it all together, inch by inch mm by mm to a taper.
              The way you have it the smoke will hit a horizontal wall and just billow out the front.

Edit:- in my opinion.
              Last edited by brickie in oz; 02-19-2012, 12:37 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Al, maybe you could add the rider, 'in my opinion'. You may well be right of course. But we will not be making further postings. Thanks to all those who have made useful contributions and provided invaluable assistance.
                And special thanks to Forno Bravo.
                Andrew

Comment

Andy, a facts a fact, in my opinion.
                  The smoke will find the easiest way out, in my opinion.

Ive build many fire places and chimneys, the surest way to get a fireplace to smoke is to present a horizontal flat surface to the smoke, the smoke will hit it and just billow out the front of the fire place, in my opinion.
                  Last edited by brickie in oz; 02-19-2012, 12:43 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by andyshak View Post
                    Al, maybe you could add the rider, 'in my opinion'. You may well be right of course. But we will not be making further postings. Thanks to all those who have made useful contributions and provided invaluable assistance.
                    And special thanks to Forno Bravo.
                    Andrew
                    Well that's a shame, I was looking forward to seeing the finished product!
                    Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

Andy, I want to see the finished product too.
                      Get back here!

Comment

Thanks Crusty,
                        Here are some completed pics of the Lilydale oven as some were interested in how it turned out. The oven is effectively now completed and only the outside door is to be added after a suitable hinge can be found. And it is reported that the flue draws beautifully.
                        Stuart

Comment

Very nice. Good job!

Comment

Guys, you cant post on this thread unless you add "in my opinion", it was stated above.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Just for the record, it is believed the final build included 3 layers of 1 inch blanket; 2 layers of render (4 washed sand:1 lime:1 cement) each containing chicken wire; final layer of render (4:1:1) with black colouring and containing waterproofing agent; front face plate is 4mm mild steel with stainless steel flashing plate; oven door is ex 1mm mild steel with 2 inch cavity filled with 2 layers of blanket material (total weight 5kg); concrete table surround finished with coloured render; base blockwork bagged and painted with Dulux 'Terra Cotta Chip'.
                              Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by camooch View Post
                                Just for the record, it is believed the final build included 3 layers of 1 inch blanket; 2 layers of render (4 washed sand:1 lime:1 cement) each containing chicken wire; final layer of render (4:1:1) with black colouring and containing waterproofing agent; front face plate is 4mm mild steel with stainless steel flashing plate; oven door is ex 1mm mild steel with 2 inch cavity filled with 2 layers of blanket material (total weight 5kg); concrete table surround finished with coloured render; base blockwork bagged and painted with Dulux 'Terra Cotta Chip'.
                                Stuart
                                Thanks Stuart, nice looking job!
                                Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

Working...
                                X