• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amac
    replied
    Re: 39" Stargate Pompeii

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    We mainly use cast iron pots.
    Yeah thats the type I mean - cast iron but enamelled - the one I looked at had a sort of bakelite or some such handle on the lid
    Aidan

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

We mainly use cast iron pots.

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Doug
    You have used thermocouples in your dome. What type and how much would I expect to pay? I was reading about them in wiki here and they have a table of types E, J, K, N etc
    Thermocouple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This site sells them and infrared thermometers - which seem to be rather expensive - but might be worth it.
    TC Direct for Temperature Sensing, Measurement and Control
    Any advice on this?
    thanks
    Aidan

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    The pork arrived, all cooked and delish, thanks Amac.
    looks pretty good brickie - bon apetit I was looking at pots like that just the other day - will they withstand any temps? I thought the handle on the cover didn't look too robust but maybe it depends on the make. I don't know why I'm building an oven I'm no cook!
    Last edited by Amac; 02-02-2012, 11:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Karangi Dude
    Amac, I followed the discussion about your planned arch on Aceves thread and I must say I am not sold on the idea,
    I think of it like this - if it works like that for a semicircular arch in a hemispherical dome, which it must, then if I raise the dome and arch on a cylindrical shape of the same diameter as the dome to any height, then provided I maintain the integrity of arch and hemisphere it should work in that case also. My "cylinder" will be only 1.5" but it should be true for any height.
    Anyhow I believe it works in theory. The practise might show another story but I am fond of pie even the humble variety
    I don't think it will make cutting the dome bricks easy - just simplifies the arch, but of cousre the dome isn't radiating out from the arch so the higher bricks attaching the arch will have more and sloping cuts, but I don't think that is what you mean by:
    modify the dome bricks to match up with your arch.
    Thanks Doug for the comment and interest - don't worry I am not taking anything negative from your comments. I believe you were the first one to properly integrate the dome with the arch, and your dome is a work of art.
    Aidan

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

The pork arrived, all cooked and delish, thanks Amac.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Originally posted by Amac View Post
    ....snip.... Will it be OK to lay the floor bricks on the vermicrete if I lay them on the sand/fireclay mix. How thick should that be?

brickie - watch out pork belly on the way see photo 2
    Yes, as thick as necessary to level the floor, no more.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Cool, Ill let you know when it gets here.

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

I used a rigid insulating board under my oven that has compressed enough to cause cracks in the dome. I recommend you not skimp on the right insulation under the oven.
    Thanks lburou - I have a bad feeling about that stuff - its already cracked and broken a few places - I have laid the floor on it and was quite happy with how it turned out but still a bit uneasy - I guess its better be safe than sorry. I think the vermicrete layer (about 4") will do. The surface was very rough - I had levelled it under the board with a dry mix of sand coal ash and portland. Will it be OK to lay the floor bricks on the vermicrete if I lay them on the sand/fireclay mix. How thick should that be?

brickie - watch out pork belly on the way see photo 2

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Originally posted by Amac View Post
    Hi Al
    Just let me know your "stargate" destination address and I'll do what I can
    To be honest I had no idea what a stargate was (still don't really) until my wife asked me why I was drawing a onee? Two of the "kids" said exactly the same thing and showed me later on the telly and sure enough I had drawn a stargate. As well as that I estimate that at midday on the winter solstice our own star will light up the chamber interior as Newgrange Stone Age Passage Tomb - Boyne Valley, Ireland so what could I do?
    Amac

LOL, that is a great story!

I used a rigid insulating board under my oven that has compressed enough to cause cracks in the dome. I recommend you not skimp on the right insulation under the oven.

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Hi Al
    Just let me know your "stargate" destination address and I'll do what I can
    To be honest I had no idea what a stargate was (still don't really) until my wife asked me why I was drawing a onee? Two of the "kids" said exactly the same thing and showed me later on the telly and sure enough I had drawn a stargate. As well as that I estimate that at midday on the winter solstice our own star will light up the chamber interior as Newgrange Stone Age Passage Tomb - Boyne Valley, Ireland so what could I do?
    Amac
    Last edited by Amac; 02-01-2012, 02:54 AM. Reason: add pic

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

A Stargate oven, cool, every time you put food in it vanishes and pops up in somebody else's oven on the other side of the planet.......

Ill put my order in now for a nice pork belly.

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

]Hi Gianni
    That's quite the IT you've built!
    I based it on a design of Jcg31 but I don't have a welder (can't weld!) and I had a lot of old floorboard cutoffs, a handsaw, a drill and some long winter eveningsl
    Amac

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Looking good, Amac. That's quite the IT you've built! Can't wait to see this oven come together, built with your hands and an angle grinder.
    Gianni

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    started a topic 39" Stargate Pompeii

39" Stargate Pompeii

Hi
    After hogging Aceves thread and hopefully acquiring some valuable insights from studying the builds of Aceves, Gianni, Sharkey, Karangidude and some others - I have finally got around to start my own thread. This is an excellent forum, but I probably rushed ahead and poured my slab a little bit early. I have built it just behind a retaining wall on my sloping back garden, so there is no wood storage. What is worrying me is the possibilty of rising dampnesss affecting the oven later. But apart from remedial drainage if required I don't propose to make any other changes.
    I laid about 4 inches of vermicrete - surrounded by concrete, hopefully mixed to the ratio recommended - but to be honest it was more guesswork than actual measurement.
    The plan is to build a brick dome of 39" diameter. "Plan" is probably too formal a word to describe the vague ideas I am working on. I originally intended a 36" and increased it as a kind of compromise between 36" and 42". Looking at the dome opening arches of Gianni, Aceves and Karangi Dude, I felt I would like an entry arch cut in that way, but I have to cut all my bricks using an angle grinder (Makita 230mm with a smooth edge diamond blade) so I wanted to keep all the cuts the same. I decided to base it on a semicircular arch !0.5" diameter. This would be very low but by raisng the dome 1.5 inches along with the arch I coulld get the arch opening to 12 ". This would push the dome height to 21" and the arch to internal dome height ratio to around 57%. I am hoping to be able to lower the dome ceiling to 20" by shortening the indispensible tool after the arch is complete - thereby getting back to a ratio of >59%. I have been reassured that that will not compromise the ovens efficiency. This has all been discussed at some length in Aceves thread.

The weather here has not been great so apart from cutting a few of the first rows and a (1/2 brick) soldier course I haven't a lot to show, but today was quite good so I managed to cut most of the floor bricks. I also cut the arch bricks - twice since the first attempt was based on a wrong measurement - but I was able to trim them so the opening arch at about 3" is a little narrower than I would have liked. I have uploaded arch photos - the first one shows how to get the correct cut for the brick for a semicircular arch on a hemispherical dome. Note I will not be tapering the arch bricks but the cutting principle is the same. I would maybe also in hindsight have had more than one inch of the arch projecting - maybe 2" just so that the insulating blanket will fit comfortably later? But I'm not cutting a new set of arch bricks.

One item which seems not to be available here is FB board or similar. I have laid some vermiculite board (1") under the floor. If I had realised just how brittle this stuff is I probably would have skipped it. I may yet rip it out if it looks like it will cause problems. Anybody here ever use that stuff under the oven floor?
    Amac
    Last edited by Amac; 02-01-2014, 08:22 AM.
Working...
X