Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 39" Stargate Pompeii

Hello everyone
    New to the site and planning to start a build by the end of the year. Great to have all this information in the same place. I have the feeling I'm going to model most of my build off this thread.
    One question I have for the group.. which may be silly... is, could you... if you have the time... build the dome with no mortar/gaps? I realize it would be a lot of cutting but I've laid it out and seems like you could do it and only have to vary a few dimensions per row. This would lend itself very well to a jig that could be easy to adjust to make the cuts simple.
    Would this just be super over kill? Has anyone ever tried it. Am I crazy?

Comment

One question I have for the group.. which may be silly... is, could you... if you have the time... build the dome with no mortar/gaps? I realize it would be a lot of cutting but I've laid it out and seems like you could do it and only have to vary a few dimensions per row.
      You sure you're on the right thread lucky? That's more ambitious than anything I would attempt - maybe Les or Gianni could help there - Start your own thread and the help will flow in. Good luck!
      Nice plan btw - onr comment is I would have cut the arch bricks like karangi dudes etc rather than the wrap around dome cuts .. but that's just my preference. Also do you really plan to build all "off bond" as shown? I would imagine it would make the structure unstable especially if you are thinking of omitting mortar.
      Last edited by Amac; 08-02-2012, 01:57 PM.
      Amac
      Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by lucky7_93021 View Post
        Hello everyone
        New to the site and planning to start a build by the end of the year. Great to have all this information in the same place. I have the feeling I'm going to model most of my build off this thread.
        One question I have for the group.. which may be silly... is, could you... if you have the time... build the dome with no mortar/gaps? I realize it would be a lot of cutting but I've laid it out and seems like you could do it and only have to vary a few dimensions per row. This would lend itself very well to a jig that could be easy to adjust to make the cuts simple.
        Would this just be super over kill? Has anyone ever tried it. Am I crazy?
        Yes, many kilns are built without mortar, so why not an oven. The mortar will fill in the gaps where you can get heat loss though.no mortar allows for heat expansion and is the reason why it is recommended that the floor bricks are left unmortared.Also the mortar compensates for brick joins that are not a perfect fit.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

if you have the time... build the dome with no mortar/gaps? Has anyone ever tried it. Am I crazy?
          I came close. I used mortar on the entry and arch transistion as well as the plug. It does take time.
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I suppose you could save a lot of top and bottom cuts by buying tapered bricks and then building your dome to match the tapers. I know that the supplier here is now selling tapered bricks designed for 1M ovens. They would suit a vault better but also make a dome that much tighter.
            Amac
            Link to my WFO build

Comment

Well made a start on the landing counter - I built a form for the front part. The plan is a polished concrete finish. With this in mind I've looked at a few youtube videos and gotten some advice from Neil2 over at his thread.
              I poured a small test piece about 1ft by 10" and 1.5" thick. The bottome half is sharp sand and normal portland - the top is white sand and white portland. I seeded both halves with some crushed glass and stone - so I'll wait and see how they turn out before I decide. I also used some metal lath as reinforcing although for that small piece it probably wasn't needed.
              Advice on this is welcome as I haven't attempted anything like this before!
              Amac
              Link to my WFO build

Comment

I can't give any advice. Haven't done it yet. Like you, I have Neil's build, a few others on the forum, and youtube. It may be an optical illusion or me misreading the post, but: It looks like your landing form is set a full brick lower than your oven floor .
                I'm looking forward to you progress. The polished concrete landing is one of my next hurdles.
                PS: I got a real appreceation for your chimney this week when I priced some copper locally to make a door for my oven. There may not be any copper in my ovens future .
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

No Gulf not an illusion - it will be a brick lower. Do you think that will be a problem? That copper piece was quite cheap - (20Euro if I remember) it was a scrap piece from an old copper domestic water cylinder. Same people (Hammond Lane) will buy or sell all kinds of scrap metal.
                  Amac
                  Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by Amac View Post
                    No Gulf not an illusion - it will be a brick lower. Do you think that will be a problem? That copper piece was quite cheap - (20Euro if I remember) it was a scrap piece from an old copper domestic water cylinder. Same people (Hammond Lane) will buy or sell all kinds of scrap metal.
                    Might want to get some experinced opinions on this but, this is my unexperinced one: One that I can relate too from experience. If I wanted to keep water out of my house (without a roof or over hang over the landing) I would create a step down just as you have. If I did not have a roof over this area (and wanted to make access for a wheel chair into my house) I would build a ramp for access and also to allow for drainage. If I wanted too allow for ergonomic (easier) placement of food containers (dutch ovens, pizzas, etc. and allow for some drainge) I would incorporate at least a slight slope to the lower level of the landing. That is, if I did not have a roof over it .
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I suppose I'll opt for the exscuse that I am using the step down to keep rain out. The truth is that although there is some idea like that at the back of my mind, it's a lot of height to make up and I figure since this concrete is something of an experimental effort - I can always raise it later on if it doesn't turn out right or develops cracks.
                      BTW it was a comment of yours that led me to research Buddy Rhodes and Fu-Tung Cheng, nether of whom I had heard of. There is a local guy here who does kitchens and some include counter tops which are described as quartz (made by Silestone) - but they are more expensive than granite so it is the DIY direction for me again.
                      Amac
                      Link to my WFO build

Comment

Looking forward to seeing how the white portland, crushed glass, and stone turn out. I like the idea of the double sided test piece for comparison. There are a lot of great ideas out there. Every thing from crushed beer bottles to costume jewelry. The regular cement that Neil2 used looks great. There are just about "too many" options for me . It sounds like your sidegrinder is going to get another workout .

Comment

Amac,

Did you ever figure out how to embed glass in a face up counter pour. I am wanting to a polished concrete heath pour over my existing hearth but need some input on using glass in a face up pour.
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

could you... if you have the time... build the dome with no mortar/gaps?
                            I think you could do it 2 ways, generally speaking. If you chose to use a 10 or 14 inch wet saw, you’re going to have gaps unless you cut the bottoms to fit the last course. These little “V” shapes will increase as you climb. This is what most of us brick taylors have done and Les to the extreme.

Another as far as I can tell, untried method, would necessitate using a wire saw. If this tool were available then the brick course joints would be smooth round arched portions of a cone rather than faceted bricks fitting the lower course. Now assuming that all of this is economic, and unless you were pumping out brick WFOs I don’t expect that it would be there is still the matter of avoiding a brick shifting due when bumped by firewood. The mortar does add some unity of structure as well as plug the gaps. I suppose that the stacked brick dome could be clad for strength, I’d want it to be.

Lucky7, It’s sure fun to think about how it might be done.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                              Amac,

Did you ever figure out how to embed glass in a face up counter pour. I am wanting to a polished concrete heath pour over my existing hearth but need some input on using glass in a face up pour.
                              On the face up part I did - it is easy enough. You sprinkle it on the surface after pouring and levelling. Then you trowel it in until it is covered in the cement. There are some good youtube videos but it's still kinda difficult to get an even spread.
                              It will then be just below the surface - to be exposed by the grinding 50 or 100 grit - the only problem is the edges that can be seen. What I am thinking about is mixing the glass in separately on the edges and pushing the edge pour in by hand. I am just about to start so I will post later on how I got on.

I looked at your progress russel - looks great I like that big keystone - seems like there is no stopping you when you have the bit between your teeth
                              Amac
                              Link to my WFO build

Comment

Thanks Amac,

Will be watching your thread on the counter pour.
                                Russell
                                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                                X