39" Stargate Pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 39" Stargate Pompeii

Concrete still too soft relative to the glass?
    No Russell but that is interesting - I hadn't thought about that at all - just I read somewhere that to apply any sealant it shouldn't be too highly polished - and I haven't decided whether I need to do that.

Have you come across references to the respective hardnesses of the materials and how they should be treated?
    Something did occur to me today - I wonder do these materials expand at different rates at heat, or even how they absorb heat = thinking here of sun heating up the black stones quicker for example, and whether that could lead to problems down the road?
    Amac
    Link to my WFO build

Comment

Aidan -
      that looks great! Inspiring. I wouldn't be too worried about that Irish sun
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

that looks great! Inspiring. I wouldn't be too worried about that Irish sun
        Thanks Dennis - I had racked what is left of my brains for a solution to the counter problem until I saw a comment by Gulf - and had a eureka moment - so far so good.

As for the sun - it disappeared behind a cloud for the photo but it definitely put in an appearance today - and according to those weather people who are never wrong we are due at least four or five days of it. After what must have been the wettest summer on record, lets hope they have it right this time.
        I shouldn't complain - we've never had to evacuate like Tu and the other folk in Nawlins (hows that!). Hopefully that blows over soon.
        Amac
        Link to my WFO build

Comment

Nothing really new. I spent yesterday preparing the form for the rest of the counter surrounding the oven. I had to cover the slab since it is thre with some exposed vermicrete so since I had already bought enough sand and cement and broken enough bottles, I decided to do the counter the whole way round - which was todays job.
          Since i am still using two separate mixes - with the white as the finish and the cheaper normal portland / sand underneath, I used a simpler method to keep the edges clear.
          I cut some strips of the melamine and place them just inside the main form around the edges. After the first part is done I just pull these out and there is 1/2" clear all around. Then I mix a batch of the white and throw some crushed glass in the mix. I then pushed this in by hand all around (pic1) in that space. When that is finished I mixed the rest and put it on top and then seed the rest of the glass on top (pic2) and then trowel it in (pic 3).

Of course an added complication is that all this has to be laid with a slight slope away from the dome. To get this I drew a pencil line around the dome which is my target to get this slope. It will be no more than a 1/4" inch or less so not too noticeable.

Tody my timing was better and I finished in daylight. This couple of days has been some of the best of the year,
          Amac
          Link to my WFO build

Comment

That looks really good. I am gearing up to pour my countertops in the next couple weeks. I think I am going to go with black dye in the mix, and clear/white glass aggregate, ground to a polish. Still working out what I want to do for the forms. One thing I think I have decided is to rent/buy a concrete vibrator to get the edges solid. I was watching some videos and that really seemed to help with the edges - and I saw one at HF for only $80 - which I can probably get for 20% off of that with a coupon. What's your experience? did you vibrate the edges with anything?
            My build progress

Comment

Hey Dennis - I used an orbital sander (sans sandpaper) when I vibrated my support slab. Yes, I tamped the mud into the form aggressively first, but got a pretty decent result. Let us know how the vibrator works.

Comment

Thanks dennis - I just used one of those vibrating sanders against the form around the edges - but not very well since I still had some bubbles there when I took off the form. I filled those after the first grinding. I spent a bit more time on it this time - we'll see how it turns out.
                The black dye and white glass sounds really good -maybe next time I will get a bit more adventurous. Really happy with it though.
                Will you mix the glass in with the concrete or add it after pouring? The edges are a problem if you add it in afterwards.
                Also I used water but some of the sites were recommending acrylic fortifier instead.
                Amac
                Link to my WFO build

Comment

Yes - orbital - that's it John - couldn't get the word. Anyway it's not a major problem if you get those holes dennis - you will need to finish with a cement only mix to get a smooth finish anyhow so they can be fixed.
                  BTW what kind of sand will you use? It affects the color also. Best thing to give you an idea iwhat it will look like s make a test piece.
                  Amac
                  Link to my WFO build

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I tried using my palm sander on the edge of the concrete I poured for getting my hearth to the right height. It worked ok, but still left a lot of voids. I may see if I can rent a vibrator. If not, I'll use the sander.

On the sand - I was planning to use standard grey premix. I think with the black pigment it will look ok. I have been reading a lot about this - and I am probably going overboard. I am planning to use Quikcrete 5000 with an extra scoop of portland for each bag, and a plasticizer/water reducer. I ordered some Fiberglass mesh to use in place of rebar, and also some loose fibers to go into the mix. Supposed to reduce cracking quite a bit.

I was planning to buy the glass aggregate too - but after pricing that out, I think I may just drink a few more Miller High-Lifes and break up the bottles. I don't think there's any magic to making broken glass, is there? And I'm just the man for the heavy (beer) lifting. If I could just find a beer that comes in white bottles too...
                    My build progress

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                      I was planning to buy the glass aggregate too - but after pricing that out, I think I may just drink a few more Miller High-Lifes and break up the bottles. I don't think there's any magic to making broken glass, is there? And I'm just the man for the heavy (beer) lifting. If I could just find a beer that comes in white bottles too...
                      Not sure about white glass but, some "old and discarded broken porcelain" plates might work to crush for a white aggregate.
                      Last edited by Gulf; 09-06-2012, 04:20 PM. Reason: spelling
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                        If I could just find a beer that comes in white bottles too...
                        Bite the bullet and pound a few Pina Colada's - either the mix or a rum comes in white
                        Check out my pictures here:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

You could also use crushed white stone Dennis -
                          BTW it's important to wait an appropriate interval after the beer and pina coladas before pouring your counter as levels can vary depending on alcohol consumption. A rule of thumb is when you see only one bubble in the spirit level you're good to go
                          Amac
                          Link to my WFO build

Comment

Marble chips are good because they're soft and cut easily. Porcelain is really tough.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Just a couple of pics - I don't think I will do too much more with this - I polished it up to 1500 grit - which feels like glass (not broken glass thankfully ). It is hard to see, but even though the counter looks flat and level it really is more wavy which you can see if the sun shines at a low angle.
                              Any suggestions for a sealer?
                              Amac
                              Link to my WFO build

Comment

AMAC,

Nice job on the polished counter considering you did not put any Guinness chips in, maybe all the Guinness is in you. The place I am buying my concrete colorant recommends an acrylic base sealer that was food safe called Krsytal Kote. I am sure you have something similar in Ireland. BTW my wife's family is from western Ireland, Cliffs of Moher area - Lahinch.
                                Russell
                                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                                X