Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about V2.0 instruction

Hello,
    First I want to say a huge Thank You for providing the great instructions on building the Pompeii oven. It is really inspiring me to get my list of other projects finished so I can start my own oven.
    In the future I hope to have a detailed plan, using your guide for design rules, to post to the forum and get input and opinion. Let that day be soon!!!

In the meantime I have a question related to content in Ver 2.0;

Does Figure 3.4 Plywood set in place show straws in place for thermocouples?

Best regards to all,
    VK

Re: Questions about V2.0 instruction

I have included the figure out of V2.0.

Are those straws in the plywood form base for thermocouple placement?

VK

Comment

I wish I could tell if that's what the're for, but I can't.. What I can tell you is that thermocouples are a personal choice. I chose not to, cost being the factor. I haven't been sorry mostly because once I cured my oven and got a feel for the heating and cooling, I don't know that I'd get a lot of use out of them. I'm sure that some around here will feel very different about this feature, but I figure that cooking is seldom about absolute times and temperatures because of the variances of the foods being cooked. All of this said, I'm looking at a thermostatically controlled proofing cabinet to get more consistency in my bread. My bread is good but with a bit of control during the proofing it could be better.

Chris
      Last edited by SCChris; 03-02-2012, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCChris View Post
        All of this said, I'm looking at a thermostatically controlled proofing cabinet to get more consistency in my bread.
        Chris
        We all have our weaknesses don't we.

I'm not trying to decide to use them or not but more curiosity if that is what they are. If they are, I ponder the need for two in the middle so close together.

Comment

I'm with you on the placement if that is what they are.. I also wonder about the tube up front an left. I'd bet that this is the return to the gage at the front of the oven.

I'm currently using an IR thermometer, about $30 from Harbor Freight during the regular sales. Not expensive and accurate, or at least accurate and consistent enough..

Chris

Comment

Though I have not built an oven yet my understanding of why two would be necessary so close together is explained very well through Karangi Dude's build thread. Basically you can put two in the same brick one nearest the oven floor and one in the same brick nearest the hearth. The reason for this is to be able to see if the heat is making it through the brick and equalizing throughout the whole brick. Like I said, Karangi Dude's thread demonstrates and explains this better than I ever could.

At least this is my untrained, layman's understanding of the concept. Take it for what it's worth.

Nate
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Comment

SC -
              Thanks! I use a cheap Ryobi IR thermo and the surface reflectivity makes a big difference. I use it for my smoker and trying to correlate digital therm probes inside the chamber and what the outside wall of the chamber is. I have noticed fairly large wide ranging readings of a surface depending on if it is 'shiny' or flat'. But I'm sure IR therms and finickiness of inexpensive ones has been beat to death elsewhere.

PN -
              Thanks. I check out that thread. Sounds like the reason

CHEERS!
              VK

Comment

Working...
              X