Gas conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas conversion

I appreciate this might be sacreligous but has anyone converted their brick oven to run on gas?
    If so are their any pointers in terms of amount of gas required to get to temperature and method of installation of burners and gas supply.
    Appreciate any information, thanks.

Re: Gas conversion

Some have but you don't hear a lot about them. (Perhaps they have all been killed off in gas explosions ?)

Comment

Discussion re gas as a fuel for WFO's has been banned on this forum for safety reasons. But you can go to a professional gas fitter and have them quote or do it for you. You will need a flame failure device.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

okay thanks, does anybody have information as to the fuel requirements for gas? I am weighing up my options and if it requires huge amounts of gas for effectively a two cooking operation then it is going to be a no goer.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
          Discussion re gas as a fuel for WFO's has been banned on this forum for safety reasons.
          When was it banned?
          Discouraged maybe......but banned?
          The mods here are very lenient and rarely chime in.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

From memory DMunn posted "please take all discussion of gas burners for WFO's offline for safety reasons" as gas burners fitted by unqualified home builders are potentially dangerous. I think it was at least 18 months ago.

Comment

From memory DMunn posted "please take all discussion of gas burners for WFO's offline for safety reasons" as gas burners fitted by unqualified home builders are potentially dangerous. I think it was at least 18 months ago.
              Dmun is not a mod, he said so himself, its just a title he was landed with.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

OK, so if he's not a moderator presumably we can discuss gas if we wish. My misunderstanding. So who are the moderators?

Comment

So who are the moderators?
                  You.......

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Ha, ha, not me.

Comment

Ha, ha, not me.
                      I was thinking of the old TV show from the 60's when I said that.
                      Who is number 1? You are.....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks, then presumably you're number 2.

Comment

Personally I would be very reluctant to introduce gas into a confined space like a WFO, as it will be difficult to ensure the correct mix at the burner. This could lead to serious amounts of CO production, or potentially the flame could become unstable and extinguish. If there is no flame failure device, the burner will continue to pump gas into the space (which is also nice and hot!). Once the oxygen level becomes high enough to permit an explosion then I would not like to be standing anywhere near the oven!

It would be difficult to fit a flame failure detector, as the oven is designed to operate at a high temperature which may make the detector think there is a flame there when there is not.

The only way I would use gas near an oven is during curing when I would consider the use of a blow torch in the entrance way, pointing in to the oven, to assist in the drying process.

Comment

Originally posted by Faz View Post
                            It would be difficult to fit a flame failure detector, as the oven is designed to operate at a high temperature which may make the detector think there is a flame there when there is not.
                            I can't agree. Fitting a burner to an oven would be the same as fitting one to a kiln and as far as the operation of the flame failure device goes, it would be way easier because the kiln goes to about three times the temp of an oven. A flame failure device is mandatory, in our country at least and must be installed by a licensed gas fitter.

Many commercial pizza ovens have gas burners and the wood is really there just to make them look pretty.

Comment

We all know that it is possible and done all of the time commercially. The problem being the vast majority of this forums members are backyard builders/DIYers who have had little experience with construction, but a stong desire for pizza. James asked very early on (several year ago) that all discussion be taken off of this forum and requested the moderators police for threads such as this. Its just not a good idea giving advice that could be incredibly dangerous for any who is not a license gas fitter hooking up the required flame failuredetector. No one on the forun wants to be liable for teling a new builder it can be done cheaply, and 3 months later they loose the entire back of the oven

If you must discuss it, please take it offlihe

Comment

Working...
                              X