Dtherr Build in Mississippi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dtherr Build in Mississippi

Hello started breaking ground today for my 36 inch oven . Thanks to all who came before me ,there is a a awesome amount of of good advice in this forum.

2 years ago my outdoor kitchen burned to the ground ,faulty propane bottle , I had built it on a wooden deck , and told my wife i would tear it down when i find what will replace it , a friend of mine in Spain sent me the FB plans and after viewing them i was hooked !!

This will be a slow build as I will only be able to work on it in my spare time . I have a ceramic tile installation and concrete countertop business that keeps me busy .

below is photos of the beginning of my build and of my IT i built in 10 min

Total cost to date
    (2) 2x6x16
    (1) mason string & level
    (20) cement blocks
    ------------------
    $45.26

Re: Dtherr Build in Mississippi

Welcome to the forum.
    Glad to see another Mississipian. Looking forward to following your build.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Gulf , and suggestions on where to get vermiculite and refractory mortar? pool supply store has Pool krete but that has sand in the mix i think , also the brick yard only carries the mortar for inside use .

Comment

I got my vermiculite from Adam's Nursery in Petal. I got FireRock from Boral brick in Hattiesburg. They no longer carry the FireRock. They now stock HeatStop 50. If you can call some of the nurseries in and around Jackson and maybe some of the other brick yards there, it would probably be a little closer. I switched to home brew as soon as I had enough fireclay reclaimed from the wet saw. There might be a source for fireclay in Jackson also. Home brew is a heck of a lot cheaper.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Finally!!! got my patio poured , jesh concrete has gotten high total cost of patio 4.25 yds of concrete $537 of course that includes rebar and such .glad i could do it myself in the meantime while i saved for the slab i have located all materials needed for my WFO all locally plus i had a neighbor that has donated 50 blocks he plans to get first pizza out of it which i will surely do .

Comment

@ Gulf ty for the info i found vermiculite and perlite both at same place $16 per HUGE bag
            heatstop50 i have located in jackson for $69 per bag and 8# firebrick at $1.30 each

Comment

Got blocks laid and filled and hearth is formed ready for me to pour , I estimate 30 / 80# bags should do , apx 1 yard . If i get home from work early this week should only take about 2 hrs to pour. Fingers crossed

Comment

Originally posted by DTHERR View Post
                .... should only take about 2 hrs to pour. Fingers crossed ....
                Looking good there "home boy" . I do like the looks of a corner build. To be safe figure an hour to get started, an hour to finish and clean up. Just in case, have some lights ready.
                The morning that I poured my hearth, I started getting everything ready about an hour before my son arrived at 7:00 am. It took us about 2 hours to pour about the same amount of concrete. I think that I had everything cleaaned up and covered by about 11:00 am.

Comment

Today i was able to pour hearth . I will let it set over the weekend and start working on the vermiculite/perlite pour surrounded with white portland concrete for the overhang for countertop ,next week. I also have changed from a 36 inch oven may do a 42 or bigger will depend on the size of Landing I will make , any suggestions on the best suited size of the Landing?

Comment

I was holding back, hoping that someone with experience would respond. From what I have gleened from this sight and I will paraphrase several different contributors into one finding. A narrow landing allows you to get closer to working the oven. I think that this would fall under the term Ergonimics.
                    You are thinking about upgrading to a 42". That means a longer reach into the bowels of the oven. Karangi Dude really got me to thinking about wood placement and fire tending in a large oven. I have a large flu and landing area and thought thought only of using longer peels for turning pizzas . I had not really given much thought to the whole process. You might want to check out his observations of my oven.
                    Neil2 has an http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f39/...eck-17629.html which allows someone to easily work the oven but still have plenty of work space. There are plenty more great examples out there.

Comment

Thank you for your advice Gulf , I have delayed the insulation part for now and went ahead and bought a few 9 inch firebrick 125 to start with and will be playing with the distance , as of the time of this posting i am considering only using the vent area as my landing and placing it at the end of the hearth and making a concrete top on one side of the corner build . First time to use google sketchup so ignore the crude mock up .

Comment

At this stage you should also consider the entryway shape.

Parallel: easier to construct.

Flared: better for visibility and access.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder i had forgot all about flaring went back and looked at Dino's template again . got floor laid out and cut and numbered battery was dead on camera so used phone to take pictures for reference . The verm/perlite pour is next, forming it today and plan too pour this weekend if all goes well

Comment

Looks like the rain will delay my vermiculite/perlite pour tomorrow . hope i got enough, bought 8 cuft of each and 4 bags of 92lbs portland the area is roughly 5'x5'x5" will spend my time during the rain to make sure i have the formula correct . plan is to do a 5,5,2 vermiculite premium blend , perlite course blend , portland . is this the correct formula?

Comment

I certainly hope someone else chimes in on this. I have only used vemiculite. I think that vermiculite and perlite are interchangable as quantities go. Premium Blend vermiculite threw me off for a minute . I went out and looked at my bags. It says course "Premium Blend" from Sungro. I think we are talking about the same product. Mine came in 4 cubic feet bags.

As far as the formula "5-5-2". If I understand correctly, you are proposing a 5 parts vermiculite, five parts perlite and 2 parts portland. I think that would be equal to a 5 to 1 mix (of either) which is what most endorse for hearth insulation.

I figure that your "5'X5'X5" is equal to 18000 cubic inches. Or 10.41 cubic feet. You have 16 cubic feet of aggregate and 4 cubic feet of portland.
                              That ought to do it. I mixed my 5 to 1 by volume, using the same bucket to measure both vermiculite and the portland.

Comment

Working...
                              X