42 in Kalamazoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42 in Kalamazoo

Faith, not sure if you are a micro beer drinker, but if you are check out Short's beer. It's only in Michigan and they do some crazy stuff but it's all incredibly good.

Tim

Comment

Got another chain done today and tied them into the side of the inner arch. Still trying to figure out the best way to measure the arch bricks. I've borrowed a 10" miter saw with a diamond blade. Any advice Mike?

Comment

The thing I am unsure about is whether to leave the 1/2 bricks for the inner arch square and have big mortar gaps on the top or try to cut angles on both sides to make a more even mortar line? If angles than whats the best way to measure?

Comment

Hi tagertim - good luck with your build.
          The thing I am unsure about is whether to leave the 1/2 bricks for the inner arch square and have big mortar gaps on the top or try to cut angles on both sides to make a more even mortar line? If angles than whats the best way to measure
          I guess it is the taper you want to measure. That will depend on the arch radius. Have a look at one of texmans latest posts. He describes in good detail how to get the correct taper.
          You just need to do a fairly basic math calculation to out the difference between the outside of the arch and the inside, and divide it by the number of bricks. You will need to make some allowance for the mortar joint.
          Amac
          Link to my WFO build

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been away.

There are some calculations available to help determine the proper taper for the brick. I can't find them in my notes, but a quick google search at masonry calculations should help.

I also found this tool quite helpful in keeping my tapers consistent. It's an "Angle-izer". Found it at home Depot, but it's also on amazon. It included a CD with instructions and some calculators to help with the arch. This is a pretty neat tool to have for other tasks around the home as well.

Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
            My oven build thread

Comment

I'm making another trip to Kalamazoo tomorrow, I'll wave when I go buy.

Looking like a good start to your oven. I'm enjoying your pictures. Keep up the great job.

Have a great night, Faith

Comment

Got some work done this weekend. As I have said before, I am totally new to doing all of this kind of work so if anyone can throw any suggestions my way, I would greatly appreciate it. Feeling pretty good about it so far. Not perfect but hopefully functional and it won't fall in.

Comment

Hi tagertim
                  I'm probably a bit late pointing this out - and maybe someone with more building experience has a better view. Your internal arch seems to me a bit forward from the dome and they are not contributing structurally to each other.

There are two basic systems it seems to me to tying the dome and internal arch together. One involves cutting a V shape to the dome bricks where they meet the arch (see Cheesesteak and other builds) and the other is to cut the arch bricks at an angle so that the dome bricks meet flush with the arch bricks - see the Octforno build by Giannifocaccia and also Aceves. Sharkey and Karangidude (these are the ones I tried to imitate) and many others. It is difficult to see from the photos but it looks like the arch is standing almost independently of the dome and none of these methods are used.

I would worry that at heat up as the dome bricks expand that they will push the arch forward and weaken it.

I don't like to be negative, and you have done a good job in tapering the bricks of the arch, so please don't make any corrections based on what I am saying, and it may be that your entry will counterract that pressure and add stability.
                  Nice location in the woods there btw.
                  Last edited by Amac; 05-14-2012, 06:05 AM.
                  Amac
                  Link to my WFO build

Comment

uh oh! Thanks for the heads up Amac. I see now what you are saying. Has anyone else had problems with this sort of thing? Do I need to take it apart and move the arch back? Help!

Comment

Here is what I have done on the inside.

Comment

Yeah it's like what I thought it looks like from the outside. As I say I am no expert on the structural end, and I trust appearances. I would (and did) have no problem standing on the top of my dome when it was finished. I am not sure I would do the same with yours. The FB plans recommend using angle iron supports for the top of the entry. It is a pity they don't include recommendations to help the increasing numbers who use a brick arch.
                        If you get no other responses on this thread you could email james and see what he says, or try brickie in oz - he is an experienced brick layer with usually some straight to the point comments.
                        This week we already had a rebuild starting with texman in Amarillo. I would hate to see another one, but even worse would be to have a disaster with a completed oven.
                        Amac
                        Link to my WFO build

Comment

Thanks again for the info Amac. Nice work on your oven by the way! I see what you are saying on your build. I sent Brickie a message asking his advise and started another thread on this topic. I don't want to tear into it but if it could fail I guess I will have to.

Tim

Comment

I am down to my last curing fire and hope to cook pizza next weekend. So far all is solid except for a crack in the mortar on the outer arch. Still need to attach the flue but not sure if I should mortar it to the arch??? I plan to wrap it in insulation and box it in cement board. Also was thinking I may have to add another piece of flue on top. Any advice on this? Just mortar the two together and support the top?

Tim

Comment

Almost done with mortaring stone to the base. Still need to side the front and back. Any advice on attaching wood to cement board?

I must say this has been the most rewarding project ever. So much fun to use and produces excellent food.

Comment

What dd you end up doing with tying in the dome to the arch?

Comment

Working...
                                X