42 in Kalamazoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42 in Kalamazoo

First timer here looking for help/advise as to progress and next step.
    Thanks and great site!

Re: 42 in Kalamazoo

Awesome! Another Michigan oven. Looks like a great start. I'm looking forward to your progress!
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

Mike, you cut each brick. I wasn't planning on doing that as I am only using a 4 1/2 inch grinder. Should I reconsider? I am guessing it helps with heat retention?

Comment

I did cut each brick. It took a really long time. Functionally, I don't think it matters. There are plenty who use half bricks as you have started. As you progress upward, the gaps will get bigger, and you may need to make the bricks smaller. It also becomes more difficult as you progress upward to ensure the vertical joints don't stack on each other. It seems that those ovens with the biggest crack problems have runs of vertical joints on top of each other. I don't think a tightly cut oven has any better heat retention. You are filling the gaps with refractory mortar. The heat retention really comes from how well it's insulated.
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Hello to another Michigander!

One option would be to cut the bricks in half then quarters for the smaller chains then fill the larger triangular gaps that will form with a wet mix of castable refractory. This is done on some of the too Italian ovens and is what I did on my most recent built. About 15 fires in so far so good and not a single crack in my dome, and my oven is on wheels.

Comment

Thanks for the info. This is all trial an error for me as I have never worked with any of these materials. Found out it is better mortar in between bricks when you lay them. Going back after the fact is not that easy. In the instructions it states that you should tap in a keystone. Didn't do this on the first chain. Seems like there is so much mortar on the back side of each brick that a keystone won't do much. Any thoughts on this? Also learned there are gloves that are for cement work and won't burn finger tips. Hands are almost healed from last weekend.

Comment

Moving slowly ahead. Any tips on cutting angles for the vent arch?

Comment

I'm not sure I am going to be much help here. I was waiting to see if someone else responded. This is one spot where I don't know how I could have done it without a brick saw. I don't know how precise you can be with the angle grinder to keep the bricks uniform.
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

I was just in Kalamazoo like 14 hours ago. I will be going back next week some time. I'm picking up another load of firebrick. Where did you get your material?

Comment

Consumers concrete. Low duty for $1.54 each. Couldn't find medium duty bricks around here. Where did you pick up bricks in Kalamazoo?
                    Last edited by tagertim; 05-03-2012, 03:47 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Riverview Refractory Service 269-685-8923 They are up in Plainwell. Jim is such a nice guy and he knows his refractory materials. I got the tour yesterday he would have anything your still needing. If you go there you will see some pallets with my name on it. Things are so heavy I'll need to make 2 more trips.

Hay if you go or call tell them I said hello. Faith

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
                        I'm picking up another load of firebrick. Where did you get your material?
                        Faith, are you rebuilding, building in addition to, or???

Just curious..

Chris

Comment

Faith, I have spoken to Jim, will get my insulation from him. Thought he only had high duty brick though. What are you paying per brick?

Tim

Comment

Chris, I've decided to build new in addition to. I'm going to start a small bakery with WFO. I was thinking of a white oven but decided to just build two barrel vault ovens. My other current oven will be for pizza and other stuff.

Tim if I told you, you would cry. The brick I bought is not for a standard pizza oven. It will be for a bakery oven with 11 inches of thermal mass. These bricks are high duty #1 wedge and are 9" long 6" wide. Perfect for what I'm building. What I bought from Jim were extra brick that he has been sitting on and storing for a long time.

deejayoh made a post a while back with this link

Refractory Brick | eBay

I bought his entire lot of 6-3/4 pallets 24,000 lbs and three trips to Michigan.

Comment

Faith, Congrats and my best to you on your new endeavor. I look forward to the progress on your new build verbal or otherwise!!
                              And hopefully a report or two on your baking successes..

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X