42" pompeii WFO in Canberra, Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42" pompeii WFO in Canberra, Australia

Well, it has been nearly 12 months since I first marked out on the ground where I would like our WFO to be, and I am only just now starting the *actual* oven! Work is now progressing much more quickly, which is a great relief. I thought I should post pics of my progress as I go because I have been helped so much by others doing the same in this forum.
    Anyway, as you can see - I have completed my slab, and the materials have arrived.
    More posts to follow very soon.
    Last edited by SteveNewbie; 04-24-2012, 12:39 PM. Reason: Grammar

Re: 42" pompeii WFO in Canberra, Australia

Good luck! I am at a similar point as you on my 42" oven in Kalamazoo, Mi so I will likely be in touch with questions.

Tim

Comment

No worries... Sounds good!

Comment

OK - so next step was the Calcium silicate board. I found that the best tool for cutting it up was a big bushman's saw - the stuff has the consistency of chalk. It soaks up moisture like chalk and seems to be similarly brittle. I broke off big bits inadvertently a few times.
        I bedded the boards down on regular brickie's mortar. A great tip I got from the guy who sold me the kit is that you smear a thin layer of margarine on both sides of the calcium silicate board before laying. This stops the board from sucking the moisture out of the mortar, setting it too quickly to adjust the level.
        Anyway, please see the pics showing the calcium silicate board laid.

Comment

Working...
        X