Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33" WFO South Australia build

Hi all.

Just over a week ago i cut down a tree in the backyard and was left with a bit of empty space... Initially before i decided to cut down the tree I wasn't sure what to do whether to re-do the garden or something else and eventually after finding this forum the only logical choice was that a Wood Fire Oven should become pride of place!

Initially it was just going to be a simple WFO and some paving, but lets just say i got carried away and decided to pour a bigger slab and incorporate a bbq and sink too

Hopefully some pizza wont be too far off!

Re: 33" WFO South Australia build

Nice.. Its gonna look great!
    “Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.”

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

sigpic

Comment

An irregular slab like that will more that likely crack. You can control the cracking by cutting a shallow construction joint from each "inside corner" to the outside.

This joint need only be about 1/2 inch deep.

Comment

Welcome fellow south Aussie looks like we are building at a similar time..".....cheers
        Cheers
        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Hi WhO and welcome aboard.
          Nice to see yet another Aussie on the forum and especially a South Aussie.
          There is all the information you could possibly want plus more here, so search, read and enjoy.
          Where abouts in this wonderful state are you located. There are sure to be other keen members nearby.

Cheers.

Neill
          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
          Neill’s kitchen underway
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Well didn't i disappear for a while!

Lots of progress has been made since that first post, i'll let the photo's do most the talking

I finished the foundation and benchtop some months ago however work, study and other commitments meant i just couldn't spare any time to start on the WFO. Now things have free'd up a tiny bit i'm making the most of every spare scrap of time i have to get this project done and the pizza in the oven!

Neil2 - I didn't have any problems with slab cracks, i was planning on cutting construction joints however never got around to it! Guess i got lucky!

Damon - I have actually read through your first build thread and found it handy! Hope all is going well with the current project!

Neill - I'm in Magill so on the eastern side of Adelaide.

The benchtop is concrete which i mixed up myself with a slightly different mix to normal concrete (different aggregates and off white cement instead of grey) and i've ground it back and polished it and sealed it. In honesty it could probably be given more grinding to bring out some more shine but time as always is sparse so that'll do!

The Render in the photo also hasn't dried nor has it been painted yet thus the funny colour near the BBQ

Alrighty time for photos!
            Last edited by WhO; 09-04-2012, 02:55 AM.

Comment

More Photos:

Comment

Progress on the WFO began the Saturday just gone. I managed to get the base and two courses done in the afternoon before it got too late to cut any more bricks.

Sunday was fathers day so I only managed to get another course done in the morning prior to heading out.

Yesterday and Today i spent a half day each chipping away at more courses to bring us to where we are now. I've ordered online a gym ball as i dont think i'll be able to fight gravity on the next course so i might see if that old trick does the job!

Unfortunately the weather is looking a bit average over the next couple of days and i'm busy for the next week so any more progress is likely going to have to wait for a little bit. The taste of pizza is so close yet so far away!

Also i had originally planned on making a 33" Oven however after careful measurement i decided i could squeeze in a 36" oven
                Last edited by WhO; 09-04-2012, 03:01 AM.

Comment

WhO
                  good progress - look like you've got your underneath insulation covered.

I really like the bench top - I'm guessing that's HE Brighton Lite cement or similar. Been thinking of doing the bench/shelf area immediately around my dome with something like that.

Just wondering what you used to grind it?
                  Cheers
                  Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Damon, I think it was Brighton Lite cement, i think i've got a bag outside somewhere so if i remember i'll check but i'm 90% sure it was.

To grind the concrete i bought a wet concrete polishing kit off e-bay in the USA. There was a seller who sold a 240v 50hz model with an Aust plug so i grabbed that. It came with all the grinding discs from 50grit through to 2 or 3 thousand. Took a bit of elbow grease but did the job quite well!

I'll rummage through my e-bay account shortly and see if i can find a link.

Cheers,
                    Rob

Comment

This is the concrete polisher i used - Concrete Wet Polisher Grinder Diamond Cup Wheel & Pads | eBay

Re the insulation I've got 2" of Calcium Silicate board under the oven for insulation and a insulating blanket ready to go over the dome once its done. I was advised that only 1" was necessary under the oven but after reading here and on the forno bravo plans i figured bumping it up to 2" was a small expense best spent now rather than looking back wondering if i should've added that extra board. It might be overkill but it gave me peace of mind!

Cheers,
                      Rob

Comment

Thanks Rob, polisher looks interesting

Think 2inches is heading in the right direction, that was my mistake on first oven.
                        Cheers
                        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Got some more done on the oven yesterday and today. Managed to finish the dome yesterday which was a great sense of achievement I did make the mistake though of trying to tuck and point some of the brick gaps in the dome and then trying to clean the mess that i made. Essentially the inside of my dome isn't anywhere near as clean as it was nor as i'd like it to be but oh well!

Today managed to finish most of the front arch, rain kept getting in the way so i only got a little bit done.

Next up is to finish the dome, insulate it and render

I've been wondering if i have enough insulation for the dome though. I only have one box and the place i got the materials from reckons that it will be plenty, the benifits of a second box worth of insulation apparently hardly worthwhile? They build wood fired ovens as a profession and do a good job of it so i'm tempted to leave it at that but i'm also tempted to put a second layer on.

I'm also wondering how effective fiberglass insulation would be as a second layer. If the ceramic insulation is keeping the bulk of the heat in then the second layer of insulation would not be exposed to the higher temperatures so it would likely still be within its working range. hrmmm...

Comment

Rob,
                            On the topic of fibreglass insulation I used it for my first oven and although it worked ok it is really soft and compresses really easily which negates its insulating properties and makes it really difficult to render against.Don't use the stuff with foil on one side, all it does is trap moisture inside your oven insulation layer. If you cover it with chicken wire then add a layer of vermicrete over it you will have a firm enough surface to render onto, presuming you are doing an igloo.if you are doing an enclosure you can just stuff the fibreglass in the gap between the ceramic blanket and the sides of the enclosure.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Rob,
                              Not sure what your paying for a box but you can get it locally for about the $80 mark. Shooting for 2inches cover would give you more benefit, meaning cooking for longer for the next day or so.
                              Cheers
                              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Working...
                              X