Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 33" WFO South Australia build

Damon,

I presume your using ceramic insulation? Where abouts are you buying yours from?

Cheers,
    Rob

Comment

Go see Frank at Avero...... West suburbs

A pic in my latest build has the brand....isolite
      Cheers
      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

like your polished concrete counters
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Russell!

Went and saw Frank at Avero today, great bloke! I'd Definitely recommend him for anything refractory related!

Also went to Air Diffusion agencies today and got a flue sorted. Got home and welded up a base for it to seat into and as i finished the front arch yesterday i promptly got them all installed on the oven!

All thats left now is to insulate and render

Comment

Yeah he is... got my calsil and blanket staring at me in the shed wish I had more time...argghh.

Might have to try air diffusion, the HVAC guy at my work reckons they are pretty good.
            Cheers
            Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Alrighty so its done!

Made up the flue transition a couple days ago with some steel plate welded together at an angle which then transitioned up to the flue pipe and was welded to that.

Then mortared that in, let it dry for a day and insulated and rendered.

I ended up with enough blanket for about 75mm of insulation over the oven. I used a fairly wide gap chicken wire to hold the insulation in place so getting the insulation on and keeping it in place wasn't quite as hard as I was anticipating. However Rendering the dome was a pain. I think I just generally suck at rendering so the finish isn't as good or even in some places as I was hoping for but it'll do!

Now its just the painful waiting game for it to cure before I can get some small fires going!

Comment

So we cooked our first meal in it tonight!

After the last few days slowly firing the oven, tonight we had a fire hot enough to roast with. Made a Roast Lamb, Veggies etc and finished it off with a Sticky date Pudding (dessert was a packet mix) all cooked in the oven.

The flavour was amazing and cooking with the oven wasn't as hard as I had imagined it to be. Learnt a lot from this first roast and really looking forward to the next!

Next step will be a hotter fire for pizza! In slowly curing the dome a crack has formed in the middle of the front arch but I was expecting it as when I installed the flue I disturbed this brick and didn't re-mortar it properly. Oh well, once the oven settles down some more I'll grind out the mortar and tuck and point it.

Also need to get a temperature gauge for the door. I made a steel door up today for it but couldn't find anyone with a temperature gauge available locally so I just settled with a oven thermometer sitting in the oven. Did a good enough job, but did mean I was constantly changing the position of the door as I checked the temperature.

Photo's soon!

Comment

Sounds like a pretty good first shot a lamb roast.....mmmm drool!!
                  Cheers
                  Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Cooked the first pizza's last night! I think i'm addicted!

Thanks go out to all the forum users, the wealth of knowledge on this forum has been a tremendous help in getting my pizza oven done.

Now all i can think of doing is making pizza for lunch! Although i know i shouldn't as i ate far too much pizza last night

Comment

It all looks, sounds, and I bet taistes great!
                      But, that second pic........... is almost spiritual .
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Liking that flame out the chimney. What a good lookin feast.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Atmosphere!!!!!!
                          Cheers
                          Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Hi whO,

I'm in the process of building a oven in Adelaide also.. Was wondering if you used firebricks and where you got them from?. Also the cement. Did you use refactory cement? Again where'd you find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Your set up turned out nice

Comment

Working...
                            X