Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UK Pompeii & BBQ build

Adding to this, found some info on porcelain/ceramic tiles:

The ingredients in this type of product are carefully selected for their ability to withstand very high firing temperatures up to 1,400?C , resulting in a fully vitrified body, with a typical water absorption figure of less than .05% making this type of product frost proof with the strongest body, relative to thickness, of any ceramic tile.

Obviously, I would suggest trying unglazed ones - but I reckon those should do quite nicely if you can find some which are unglazed and thick enough to withstand the pizza paddle scraping...

M

EDIT: Or maybe porcellain tiles?

Porcelain tile is comprised of 50% feldspar and is fired at a much higher temperature (2400C) than traditional ceramic tile. This makes porcelain tile even harder and more dense than other tile products. Because of its high durability, porcelain is more resistant to scratches and can withstand extreme temperatures.
    Last edited by Spinal; 06-20-2012, 03:41 AM.

Comment

By all means give anything a try, but just because a refractory material has been fired to a high temperature does not qualify it as suitable. It may well withstand the temperature required, but may not withstand sudden increase in temperature that WFO's typically are fired at. My guess is that they'll crack really easily, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong, try them
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I think porcelain would be too brittle to withstand logs being thrown in and knocks from the peel and any other tools that get poked in. My tiles seem to be holding up fine so far with the few curing/drying fires I have done so far.

Comment

hi faz realy interested to know how your builds going as im about to start on mine with heater brickss, is yours finished yet ???? regards dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

I really need to update my thread. Yes the oven is finished and is working well, I just need to build a door so I can do some baking/roasting as well as pizzas.

The quarry tiles have also stood up well to the fires so far so they're looking good too.

Faz

Comment

Originally posted by Faz View Post
              Hi Dave,

I really need to update my thread. Yes the oven is finished and is working well, I just need to build a door so I can do some baking/roasting as well as pizzas.

The quarry tiles have also stood up well to the fires so far so they're looking good too.

Faz
              Glad to hear it Faz, any pictures?
              Lee B.
              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Yes I do need to update the thread, but need to sort out my pictures first. It's been kind of hectic here so I haven't had chance yet. Hopefully I'll do it in the next few days

Comment

I have taken the liberty to published the rest of the photos as I have found them on the net, without any prejudice to the copy rights of FAZ

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

It is worth mentioning that the heater bricks contains metal as I have seen a magnet sticking to the brick firmly, so there is alot of metal. This leads one to conclude that the thermal conductivity is high and I haveplaced the brick on the cooker with gas fire for 15 minutes, it heated up and no damage was inflicted on the brick. However, one has to mention that the brick is very heavy. probably 6 kg or even more!

Comment

I wonder if the brick actually have metal in them or a compound that is attracted to the magnet? I have a friend who used to be a mason in the UK a while back, I might reach out to him and see what he knows about these bricks. He is big into masonry restoration in Chicago now.
                            The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

I looked at one of them, it seems to have a grounded metallic lumps that are about 2-3mm in diameter (approx.) I would guess it is mixed with the materials.

WARNING:

Heater storage bricks manufactured prior to 1984 contain asbestos which causes Mesothelioma cancer. A single exposure to the dust of asbestos could cause lung cancer. Symptoms could be hidden for 10-40 years then the cancer kicks off with aggressive symptoms. https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/...tos-fact-sheet
                              I have exposed myself by cutting the heater storage bricks then read the text!
                              If however you acquire the heater storage bricks manufactured after 1984, then you should be OK.
                              Last edited by Alomran; 05-27-2017, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X