Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

I poured an 8" top slab. Directly under my oven a 4" deep depression was formed in and eventually filled in with the infamous perlcrete concoction. In hindsight I think that I would lower the stand a little and put some type of insulated board underneath as well. You can never have too much insulation. You can't add it underneath when you are done.

If I have a really good fire, the slab eventually acts as a heat sink and the ceiling of the wood space underneath the oven heats up quite good.

We still have good pizza and other things, even with the few flaws that are there. The ovens are very forgiving once you get to know you oven.

Derk

Comment

For those who think summer is here. I was at Park City (Deer Valley) last night and woke up to 2" of snow on the ground. The weather this Memorial Day weekend in SLC has been rainy and cold but today is very nice. So no rest for the wicked.

Finished my foot print for the floor and dome base course. Numbered and pulled them off the hearth. Put down 2" of foam glass, measured and cut.
      Tip, foam glass is fragile but I found taking an old shard and rubbing the wet foam glass with shard smooths the rough edges on the cut (used a HF wet saw) and helps fine tune the cut. The SS channel is for a thermal break (still need to cut in), stole the idea from WFOer GianniF. Next step was addin1.5" of CaSi board.

Russell
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Part two of Memorial Day fun.

Added CaSi board, cut with a jigsaw. Nasty stuff, wore a Niosh 95 mask and safety glasses. Glad that part is over. Placed on Foamglass so total insulation in 3.5" on hearth with a 3" firebrick floor. Going to mix up 1/2 sand and 1/2 fireclay to bed and level foam glass/CaSi then replace brick floor foot print this week after work.

Bad news, the better half say this oven is going to cost me alot more than I was planning. She says since I spend my time on the oven she is going shopping

Happy tail end of the holiday weekend.

Russell
        Russell

Comment

Corner builds look so . I really like the monolithic arch poured with the hearth. Mine is not a corner build but that is the way I attacked the lintel over the wood storage.
          Its looking great, will stay tuned .
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Gulf,

I been following your buiild from day one. What a cool build and enclosure you have designed.
            Russell

Comment

Thank you Utah,
              I don't call it an "enclosure" though. I really like many of enclosures that I have seen on this forum and I really like many of the Igloos too. I decided to split the difference.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I was able to pull up the foamglass and CaSi board after work and lay down the fireclay and sand mix. Reinstalled insulation and brick floor and base ring of dome. Did learn I was glad I numbered all the bricks and take a picture for orientation. Without them I would still be out there trying to piece things together. Made the mistake when laying the sand mix to over moisten the concrete so the notched trowel just smeared the fireclay/sand mix. Work other areas then came back. Mix almost set in some areas and sloppy smear in in others.

Going to start the inner arch later this week based on Karanga Dude and GianniF builds.

Russell
                Russell

Comment

Hey Russell,

The build looks great so far. I am just a few hours north of you in Eastern Idaho. I will be watching your build closely.

Good luck!

Nate
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Comment

PN,
                    Thanks for the encouragement. This project is a labor of love.
                    Russell
                    Russell

Comment

Hey Russell,

You said you have more pics of your base build...where can we find them? I am very interested in your design (since it will probably fit my yard better) and storage area. Let me know where I can find them.

Thanks,

Nate
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Comment

PN,
                        I will send you some next week i am out of the country right now. Do you have a email address you want them sent?

Russell
                        Russell

Comment

A great start! I sent you a Private message.
                          Lee B.
                          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Derk,
                            Reading Clofgreen's build and notice you son is or was a lifty at Snowbird. I have over 20 years as aski and snowboard instructor at the Bird. Small world.

I am debating withself on mortar joint size. Notice Clofgreen joints were 1/16" front 3/16" back. If i get this on an dome i will be very happy. What is your experience?

Russell
                            Russell

Comment

Russell,

Austin loved his time there, it was only one season though. He is leaving on a mission to Romania in July. He has a skier get hung up on a chair and was going on up the hill, he asked Austin for a knife and he cut himself down, 8 foot drop but he was ok. A little stress for the newbie operator. He said that I was going skiing before the end of the season, I went, it had been 20 years, still had the skills and the desire, but the thighs were on fire after 3/4 of a run. Anyway back tot he topic at hand.

I think that the advice from clofgreen is good, uniformity is great, We winged it and the inside of our barrel looks really rough, not very pretty. there does not seem to be any problems with the joints even though the gap width is all over the place. No cracking or drop offs that I can see. Post to Tscarborough with the question or search his threat and photos, he knows his stuff.

Good luck,

Derk

Comment

Tight as possible on the front without being anal about it and the back doesn't really matter. Ideal refractory joints are 1/8 or less, but that is not realistic for a Pompeii oven.

Comment

Working...
                                X