X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cloita
    replied
    Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Looking great Russell! I've been cooking everything I can think of since I finished the dome in early Sept. I just got my metal studs in and time to build tomorrow in the 70 degree November weekend... Still undecided on the finish, time for research on what holds up in a Chicago winter. I like your copper shingle idea since it will be much less weight than finishing the entire thing in stone, so that has been added to the list. Tent plus double tarp until I decide!!!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

cne,

Les from Carson City, NV did an igloo and here is his take on the stucco he used for snow conditions.

Not all stucco is alike. I used a product made by Dryvit - It has an acrylic base so it is flexible and water proof. Definitely worth the dollars and you can have it colored to whatever you want

Working through the winter.....wow, that is dedication. If you ever want to come see my build send me a PM and we can try and hook up.

Leave a comment:

• cnegrelli
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Hi CNE,

Thanks for the compliment. I am doing an unenclosed igloo hence the floor on the inside. If I were doing an enclosure I would of just layed on the hearth firebrick uncut. As far as the finish, I was originally going to stucco but if I can swing it going to put copper shingles on. Just have to see how the budget holds out. My concrete counters were only 2" thick. I have 2" FoamGlas and 1 1/2" of CaSi topped with a 3" fire brick floor. So a little too thick for a counter. I wanted the counter below the firebrick due to the expansion of the brick during the heating cycle might cause the counter to crack. Anyway, good luck with your build and send pics.
    I have also wanted to do unenclosed (My wife doesn't want me building a huge monstronsity). How do you feel stucco will hold up on top in your environment? My gut has been telling me that our 300+ days of sunshine will be no problem for it, but it doesn't appear recommended anywhere I read. I've been sort of planning a large stand to accommodate an enclosure later if that were a problem....

Considering getting started now and doing the tented setup thru winter like the Copper Roof guy did in Chicago.

BTW, I am in SLC about every two weeks on business and have a partial ownership townhome in PC.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Hi CNE,

Thanks for the compliment. I am doing an unenclosed igloo hence the floor on the inside. If I were doing an enclosure I would of just layed on the hearth firebrick uncut. As far as the finish, I was orginally going to stucco but if I can swing it going to put copper shingles on. Just have to see how the budget holds out. My concrete counters were only 2" thick. I have 2" FoamGlas and 1 1/2" of CaSi topped with a 3" fire brick floor. So a little too thick for a counter. I wanted the counter below the firebrick due to the expansion of the brick during the heating cycle might cause the counter to crack. Anyway, good luck with your build and send pics.

Leave a comment:

• cnegrelli
    replied

Hey Russell
    Been starting to look at plans and I like your corner build a lot. I may do a fireplace on the same slab, facing my hot tub. I'm in Boulder, CO so we have similar climates. What sort of finish are you thinking about?

Also, I was wondering if you may have been able to skip cutting your floor and insulation layer to the floor shape and just built on top of it and then poured your counter up against the dome and gotten a similar result with much less cutting?

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I'm the same. Too old and fragile for parks. I do like me some sidecountry/backcountry. I bought a splitter a few years ago but haven't used it that much.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver
    DJ, Looked at your profile, snowboarder huh, my weapon of choice. When I first started teaching at SB snowboarding did not exist so I taught skiing only, but almost teach 100% snowboarding now with a lesson or two in skiing to keep me current. Mostly a free rider, not into parks, that is for the bendable and young...............
    I am not able to stand well on a snowboard but found a Burton 145 woody that I sold to the president of skull candy last fall, I understand he lives over near Olympic park just outside Park City. Interesting board with a steel fin and swallow tail.

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 10-14-2012, 06:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Yeah - Cascade concrete. Sierra cement is a California product. But the snow can be pretty good if you catch the storms right. Mt Baker is pretty famous for epic snow dumps

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Russell - Don't talk too much about the 'bird. I usually make it out to Utah at least once a season. You may find me knocking on your door as well...

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Able to achieve a full dome clearing last night and the etch sun plugged popped out. We made about 20 pizza and only one calzone by accident this time. I have to remind the guest that less is best on the pizzas, they seem to pile it on. Everyone to busy stuffing there face and no pictures of the food taken . Good sign I guess. Going to seal the concrete today it warms up enough, only about mid 40s right now.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Dug out a few pics.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Yes it is special to ski or snowboard at Snowbird, we average a min. of 500 inches of snow per year with a top elevation of 11,000 feet. We are known for our champange powder snow. So I extend the invitation to you too........

Wow, we went to Japan to ski last Christmas. Townsville in the tropics at Christmas time is murderously hot and humid.It was the first time I'd experienced really good powder, snow so dry that you can't make a decent snowball. Had only skied Australia and New Zealand prior, the snow is Japan was incomparable. You are making me daydream again.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Yes it is special to ski or snowboard at Snowbird, we average a min. of 500 inches of snow per year with a top elevation of 11,000 feet. We are known for our champange powder snow. So I extend the invitation to you too........
    Hey, don't give away one of the best kept secrets in world skiing. Oh I guess I just reinforced it.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Chipster,
    Give me a shout when you come out. I'm a ski and snowboard instructor at Snowbird on the weekends. Been there over 20 years and still don't know all the secret stashes but know more than most.
    Sounds like this is some special American tradition. In Australia when people "come out", they don't really celebrate it as a special occasion. Good luck to you.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied

Russell,

I think the extra flue pipe will work well and it does not look out of place to me it seems to balance well, I do hope it solves the problem with the smoke.

God luck for the winter season.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X