• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thx Greenman.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• I have rebuilt all the photo links that I had deleted earlier this year so new builders will have access to my build and how I documented the progress.

I know that FB has the restoring of the thumbnails on the thread as one of their top priorities.
      Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 01-11-2016, 07:55 AM. Reason: Completed rebuild of photo links.
      Russell

Comment

• Hi Russell
        Great to have you back and also all your photo as well.

Gee rebuilding all those photo links would have been a massive task. Good to have you back.
        I will post my outdoor area project in the next few days once I get it too the waiting for render stage.

Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

• In my travels, I try and visit fellow WFOers. This time I had the opportunity to visit Gulf (aka Joe Watson). The SWMBO and I were in NOLA and drove up to Mississippi to see Joe and his SWMBO (Jenny). They were gracious Southern hosts. Seeing the Mississippi Queen oven in real life shows how much craftsmanship Joe put in his oven. I did find the Joe and I come from the same genetic barrel when it comes to scrounging and repurposing materials........LOL
          Russell

Comment

• Thank's Russell,

How was the grilled oysters in NOLA? That should have given ya'll an idea of what the "Oysters Redneckefeller", that we missed out on, would have been like. Was it good, or was it like the turnip greens lol. Ya'll are good sports for trying them irregardless . We enjoyed having ya'll down for a visit very much.

Russell and his wife are as nice of folks as you will ever meet. They did not seem too terribly disappointed that the day was a rain out and that we opted for a local fish camp for dinner (southern translation: lunch). I know that they must have been expecting some fresh squirrell or chitlins. Maybe next time it will be "hogg killin' weather" ( southern translation: cold). That is also squirrell season down here lol.

Seriously, it was an honor to have Russell and his wife down to our modest home. Thanks to Russell's travels, I call him the "glue" that is bonding several continents of this multinational forum together.

Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

• Russell, I'm the guy in Colorado that you sent some San Marzano seeds to a few years ago. Got them going pretty good this past summer - thanks! Always followed your build and now I finally have time to be starting soon my own. Always wanted to ask you about the polished concrete finish - would you do again and if so, anything you'd do different?

Comment

• I would only do polish concrete if I have a covered or protected area. Mine is not and with our Utah winters, it is really hard on the polished concrete. I see some spalling and some of the glass works loose.I have done a couple repairs but they are never as good. Great that you are starting your build. Be sure to start a thread and as always ask any questions to the folks on the forum. They are here to help and make sure everyone has a successful build.
                Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 02-13-2017, 01:30 PM.
                Russell

Comment

• +1 on Russel's comment. I did a polished landing on my oven that is kind of under cover - it has held up great. I also did a polished concrete countertop for my kitchen area that is exposed to the weather - and it has not held up as well. I haven't had any spalling (no real frost or snow here) but it hasn't held it's sheen and it seems to always be dirty. It's like dirt is in the pores and I can't get it clean.
                  My build progress
                  My WFO Journal on Facebook
                  My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

• What would you guys pick if you did it over again?

Comment

• That is too broad of a question to really answer, too many variables. It depends on what you want, your site, type of cooking, etc. If you have some specific questions it will be easier to address. Start with looking at the picture gallery and the builds in the Newbie section and the sticky thread "Treasure Archives" for ideas.
                      Russell

Comment

• Haha - I've spent at least a 1000 hours doing that over 5+ years. I was specifically asking for your opinion because I'm a lot like you in my painstakingly thorough research, and our climates are basically identical! I am surprised that the polished concrete took that much abuse - that was the way I had chosen to go long ago... So I'm starting over on that quest.

Comment

• Russell - are you happy with the Foamglas approach you used?

Comment

• I used FoamGlas for only one reason, it will not absorb water, hence is was my first layer of insulation with CaSi board on top. It is about the same cost as CaSi board which will readily absorb water. That said, there are other possible ways of keeping the CaSi dry, ie raised CaSi off hearth, waterproofing membranes, etc. Would I do it again, probably so since I wanted more the 2" of CaSi but also wanted to protect it from water migration. Only issue, Foamglas does not tolerate abrasion so you have to be careful during the build.
                            Russell

Comment

• Russell,

I see that you didn't use your IT in one of the last rows and instead used a piece of wood to put the bricks on? This works easier?

Thx

Comment

• I forgot that I modified my IT for smaller bricks so I reviewed my pic log and now I remember. I did use the narrow IT but with gravity in the mix I needed the notched sticks to hold the bricks while I moved the IT for the next brick. So I would set one brick on one side of the circle, then put a stick under it when I moved the IT then set a brick on the opposite side of the circle then placed a stick under that brick, etc, etc.
                                Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 07-27-2017, 11:25 AM. Reason: Corrected response.
                                Russell

Comment

Working...
                                X