Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Oven floor

Hi,

I have been reading the forum for months and a few weeks ago decided it was time to go for it with a 42 inch build. I have the foundation done, poured a 4 inch stuctural layer and a 4 inch vermiculite/portland insulation layer. I have been securing material for the build for a while and now am set to put the oven floor down. I have a question on the floor based on the materials I would like to use. I have among other materials 11 - 18"x12"x3" firebrick tiles that I would like to use for the oven floor. I also have 14"x4"x3" firebrick that I can also use and may mix and match if needed. I have access to a HF 10" wet tile saw and a 4-1/2 inch grinder both with diamond blades. My question is on how best to use the large tiles.

I have real concerns about being able to cut a circle from the 18x12 inch tiles. Partially because they are 3 inches thick, and also the weight of these tiles, (I am guessing 50 to 60lbs each may make them too heavy for the HF Tile saw stand. I could remove the saw from the stand and cut on the floor I assume, but still not sure that this will work well. Should I consider not cutting these tiles and simple place the oven directly on the tiles, or should I consider using the smaller 14x4x3" tiles arround the perimeter of the over and cut those so the oven fits outside the cut.

I feel much more confident I can cut the smaller tiles for the floor, but using the larger 18x12 inch tiles would be a much better option I believe. Is it worth even cutting the tiles or should I just arrange them as best I can to optimize their usage and simply place the oven dome directly on the tiles and not worry about some extra floor tiles showing outside of the oven area. I am considering renting or buying a 7inch grinder with a diamond blade to make the circle cut if that would work well, but that is somewhat of an expensive option. Any feedback would be great on how I should proceed on getting the floor done and if it even needs to be cut.

thanks,

Manny
    Last edited by u863583; 05-31-2012, 08:10 AM.

Re: Question on Oven floor

Just a quick note here. That is not a circle. You don't have a curve you have a bunch of straight lines. So you can use a straight cut if you choose to go into that much detail.

BTW...Looking good

Comment

Hi Manny,

Just finished my firebrick floor with 3" thick by 14" long and tapered 5.25 to 5.75". It was about all I could handle with my 10" HF wet saw due to size of table, weight of brick and saw length of saw, especially the left side. I would utilize the whole 18" by 12" block as much as possible and cut smaller blocks to shape for the arc. IMO. Good luck with your build.

Russell
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I have real concerns about being able to cut a circle from the 18x12 inch tiles
        Faith is right - they are a series of straight lines - I cut my floor (whole dome in fact) using a 9" angle grinder. First thing I learned is that you can not cut a curve with these things. There is some serious kickback if you trap the blade by trying to twist it. Whatever you use, cut a number of straight tangents to your curve and shave it with the edge of the blade to refine it.
        Last edited by Amac; 06-01-2012, 09:46 AM.
        Amac
        Link to my WFO build

Comment

I second Russell's opinion. I would use the big tiles for the floor and place the oven on top of them. It will give you a nice solid base.

If you still want to cut them to fit inside the oven, I am certain that you can cut the arc shapes with the HF saw. You just need to make a diagonal cut first, and then shave away the edge with the blade to follow the contour you want. I cut the bricks for my oven this way.

The weight should not be a problem on the slider for the saw. It's plenty sturdy. The size of the tiles might be a bigger issue - getting them to fit on the platform at the angle you want.
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Russell, Tell me more about your floor brick? Where did you find an Edge Skew brick of that size...Those are cool!!!

Comment

Hi Faith,

First of all. I have followed yours as well as GianniF and Karanga Dudes builds for inspiration on my build.

The fire brick I got is from an old steel mill that as demolished several years ago called Geneva Steel in Orem Utah. These were new bricks and were a stockpile of 50 to 60 thousand bricks used to rebuild the kilns as the furnaces needed maintenance. Steel mill closed down and thus a "fire" sale on fire bricks (my pun of the day). Picked up for about 0.35-50 cent each depending on size. They are high duty bricks and take a toll on my diamond blades. Any of you Utah builders, there are still alot of brick left but the sizes and shapes are diminishing. Let me know and I will send you the contact info.

Russell
              Russell

Comment

Yes please send me the contact info. Those would do great for my Twins.

Thanks Faith

Comment

Faith,

Here is a copy of the ad with the contact. Try the link below or go to Utah News, Sports, Weather and Classifieds | ksl.com classifieds and search for refractory brick. FYI, they don't ship, you pick and load yourself so I am not sure it would work for you in Virginia.

We have a large quantity of unused historic fire refractory furnace brick (approximately 30,000) good to 2500 degrees Farenheight. The bricks can be used for retaining walls, paver bricks and landscape bricks. The bricks were never used and come from an old steel mill storage yard. About half are large 10" x 10" x6" honeycomb brick, the other half are varying sizes. The smaller brick are not completely square but have angled edges. We have a lot of angled pieces excellent for making backyard pizza ovens or backyard fire pits. Minimum purchase is $100, checks or cash only. The larger bricks are $1.00 each, the smaller ones are 50 cents each. No loading or forklifts, must be loaded by hand or bring your own equipment. The contact information is Dan Seegmiller, 801-225-2031 ext 112,
                  Anderson Dev. 99 North Geneva Road Orem/Vineyard, Utah. Open weekdays from 8 to 4

Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com brick[/COLOR]

Good Luck,

Russell
                  Russell

Comment

Thanks Russell, I gave them a call... The have no list of what they have to sell, have no way of shipping, so come and get it or nothing at all...

So I'm driving to Utah for firebrick from Virginia it's only 2000 miles each way.....NOT!!!

Nice brick but not worth the drive for the amount I need. But thanks for the information

Faith

Comment

Working...
                    X