Chimney Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney Question

I found chimney pipe that somebody removed a wood stove and wants to get rid of. Will this work? This is all the info I have.

I have 2 sections of stainless steel insulted stove pipe. 30 inches long 8 inch INSIDE DIAMETER. Also cap and cone that sits on the roof. Took out wood stove and no longer need it. Its in really good shape. I can't find any markings on the pipe. I purchased it from some place that deals with insulated pipe and stuff. I don't remember the name, however, this was/is the best that you could buy. I just want rid of it

Thoughts? I can get it for $100.

Re: Chimney Question

You better jump on it, quick
    EDIT: Sorry
    I misread the post. Someone in your area who can pick it up locally needs to jump on this.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-31-2012, 04:40 PM. Reason: Misread post
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

So this one should work okay? Just want to make ste before I purchase. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dlebla View Post
        So this one should work okay? Just want to make ste before I purchase. Thanks
        2 layers of insulated SS with the caps etc. would probably be a great deal for that price. As long as you are not bound by a fire code which may stipulate 3 layers. (Depending on the application)
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I had talked to the building dept last fall, I haven't started my oven yet. At that time the inspector told me it was just a general permit needed and there were no real requirements as I had lots of questions. I have been looking on Craigslist and have sourced lots of materials for free or very cheap. I have been looking for a god deal on the chimney as I like that style best and finally found this one. I just wanted to check to make sure this would be acceptable as I know absolutely nothing about chimneys. Thanks for the quick reply, since it looks like this will work I'm going to email him right now. Thanks again!

Comment

I think you will be all right. As for as "depending on the application" is conserned as long as you are not building inside your home or something attached to it. That is where building codes get real sticky, for a real good reason though .

Comment

No the oven will not be part of my house. It's going to be out in the backyard, which will be good as it will keep me out of the house and away from the wife....

Comment

I bought one section of 8" double wall SS double wall and the cap for 60 bucks (from a local salvage store) and just thought that I got a great deal. I haven't totally ruled out using it if I need to extend my chimney in the future, but it is on stand by if I need it. I want try to give a value of the 2 sections and cap that you purchased but the only local source which I priced was 250 bucks per section of 3 wall. I think that you are getting a good deal.

Comment

If they have an anchor plate with it. Grab it. Cost about $40 to buy one.

Russell
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks everyone for getting back to me. I just sent him an email and am waiting to see if he still has it. Fingers crossed.

Comment

This seems to be a good purchase, but I think you are I'll advised to "jump on it" as it is likely to dent the pipe badly and this will affect both its appearance and performance.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

He still has it and just sent me a picture. Lets see if I can attach it. Im going to go get it over the weekend unless anyone thinks its not worth $100 or wont work for the oven. Also, whats the best way to clean it? Thanks

Comment

You will need to match your oven to the flue diameter. A 6" flue will suit a 24" to 36" diameter oven.

Comment

This is an 8" inner diameter pipe and I'm going to be building a 39" oven so I think I should be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by dlebla View Post
                              This is an 8" inner diameter pipe and I'm going to be building a 39" oven so I think I should be okay.
                              Sorry, for some reason I thought it was a 6" that was on offer. An 8" for a 39" oven is perfect.

Comment

Working...
                              X