36" Pompeii build in NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36" Pompeii build in NY

I am pouring a 55" x 66" hearth on this new build tomorrow.

The plan is for a 36" Pompeii with 2" of FB board under the floor. I have read hundreds of threads and expect to build the dome on top of the floor. The potential of cracks due to the expanding floor worry me a bit.

Thanks to all for taking the time to generously log your efforts.

Don

Re: 36" Pompeii build in NY

The hearth is curing. I'll post pics soon.

Is the purpose of the flared landing ease-of-access, or increased air flow?

I'm playing with brick layouts. Building two different sized arches and mating them will be a little (a lot ?) tougher than two identical arches.

Don

Comment

It's just for access, and more useful if you have a large oven with a deep entry - it gives you more room to swing a peel/shovel/brush handle to reach around the edge near the mouth. A tapered entry also makes it easier to fit a thick, insulated door into the opening.

Comment

"Is the purpose of the flared landing ease-of-access, or increased air flow?"

As Steve says, it is primarily a benefit for physical access and for visual access.

I have a aluminum door with "wings" bent at the same angle as the flare. Not only does this produce an easy fit, but the wings make the door free standing.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. Now I have another door idea to consider too!

I will flare the landing. I have an idea for the geometry of the entry.

I'm working on the FB Board and floor setting now.

Don

Comment

Hi,

I am laying out the foorbricks and am taking care not to scratch them.
            They seem softer than I expected. Does heat harden them or increase durability?

Don

Comment

Normal firebricks are pretty hard. Are you sure you have a refractory brick ?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The question seems silly, but many of the bricks are softer than others. They are scratching as they are moved when there is some sand between bricks. I went back to look at the stock at the yard and they are yellow, medium to light duty refractory brick. -more clay than crystal. Many pallets have been there awhile.
                I culled the harder, less brittle ones for the floor.

Don

Comment

I moved my hearth slab to a better stand and location, set FB board and leveled the floor. I am planning the 3rd and 4th courses and am noting a 1/4" inward overlap at the center of the brick relative to the IT. I do not notice this in the many build images. I would think that a lot of turbulence would result, or that the final dome height would exceed the floor radius if I move each brick out a bit.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Don

Comment

It's hard to tell from the small photo, but the pivot of your tool (the caster axle) looks like it's halfway up the angle iron 'arm', and the bracket on the brick end is a little deeper than half the brick. For everything to align correctly, a straight line from the pivot should fall on the center of the brick, at a 90 degree angle. The way your tool is set up, the 90 degree 'surface normal' is near the bottom edge of the brick face, so you'll get an error that results in the step that you're seeing. The fix is simple; add a shim between the brick and the bracket (or re-bend the bracket) so the center of the brick lands at the center of the angle-iron, in line with the pivot point at the center end.

Comment

Okay, I re-built the tool today to make adjustments easier. I can drill a hole to center the axis on the brick center. Thanks!

Comment

I like the catenary arch profile (pleasing to my eye). This model is 18" at the base with an 11.5" height, for a 36" radius oven.

I am guessing the slightly reduced opening area (compared to a semi-circular arch) will reduce air flow a bit .? The chimney will be a 36" SS, so the load should be minimal.

Any suggestions?

Don

Comment

Is it just me or is that arch profile little slanted to right?

Comment

The image does look asymmetrical. I checked for level at the base and brick-to-brick. If I go with this arch I'll check the form for symmetry and re-cut if necessary.

Thanks for the look.

Comment

- 7 courses complete. The inner arch is a little rough, but the rings are level and the inner joints are pretty tight.

I am switching to homebrew now that I have enough fireclay. I hope to get this closed in about a week.

Don

Comment

Working...
                              X