Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gaps, bumps, uneven dome top....how bad can it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gaps, bumps, uneven dome top....how bad can it be?

Xene,
    If you decide to remove those rows, my advice is to use a side grinder or better yet a skill saw with a masonry blade. A diamond blade is a bit much to pay for in this case since the mortar doesn't go all the way through. Be careful, cut downward along the joint lines. Even if it does not go all the way through it will at least give it a fault line so that your hammering does not break it where you don't want it to .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

If you decide to redo it, have you reconsidered your strategy for using another (read different, like a pilates ball) form?
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

whoa. I don't think there is any way you are going to get a saw or a grinder into those joints to remove them. I guess maybe if you decide to cut an "x" through the middle you might make some progress- but through 4 1/2 inches of brick? Probably not.

Personally, If I really wanted to remove those courses, I'd take a narrow cold chisel and hammer (maybe rubber mallet) and see if I could knock the center bricks out backwards from the inside starting at the very top of the dome. Once you get one out, the next one will go more easily since you have one less side holding it in place. But if it is REALLY that hard to remove them, then they are likely rather well installed and maybe I would stop worrying about what they look like.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

My theory is...
          if you're getting bummed out by the finish now, it'll always be there in your mind.
          Sort it, then no more worries.
          Take a hammer drill, with a masonry bit to the joints, and drill them out to weaken them.
          Then they'll probably just lever out, with no bolster and hammering that could upset the bond of more bricks than you wish to remove.
          It looks such a grand job, and as your unhappy with the final section, it says to me "change it". For the sake of a couple of days?

Comment

Yep, looking at it this morning, I'm going to try the chisel first and if I can't budge it I think I may just accept it for what it is and fill those gaps with Gulf's instructed technique. My mindset through the project has not been one to obsess over the imperfections but to rejoice over the fact that I'm going to have a WFO - if I stay focused on the later I think I can live with however it comes out. If I give it my best effort to take it apart and it won't - well, I'll assume I've done a lasting job. Really have appreciated you all chiming in to help through this decision making- I'll be back to report progress!
            My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

So...you wanna know what I decided?

Took me an hour to knock it out. Working from the inside was the pits, so as soon as I could see the cracks on top, I moved to that loose brick on the outside and pulverized it. The brick chisel I got was the perfect tool. Once I got it started it did break apart rather quickly, working from the top. There is something to be said about shoddy construction after all!

So...this time I'm going to do it right. Here I go.....
              My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Cold chisel . Should be required kit for all

To avoid the gaps - do the twist/tilt thing. Assuming you're going to stick with 11 bricks on the next course - 16 degree angles on the sides should make the fit perfect [formula for side angle is (90-((180-(360/# of bricks))/2))]. When you cut the brick, tip it up at the same angle as the course you are on. Probably 70-75 degrees for you right now. You'll also need to figure out the width for each you need based on good ol' 2*Pi*R.

Just realized that may sound a bit didactic. You may be a math genius so please understand that I don't mean it that way. I only figured this out in my last 2 or 3 courses and it was like an epiphany for my brick cutting. The waters parted and the bricks just jumped in to place after that
                My build progress

Comment

Math genius I'm NOT - I can't even identify with a 75-degree angle. I'm eyeballing this entire thing . Well, pretty close. If I had to use math to build it, it wouldn't get built at all. I'm math dyslexic - true story. Figuring how much insulation blanket I need for the next step is already stressing me out. Augh!
                  My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xene View Post
                    Math genius I'm NOT - I can't even identify with a 75-degree angle. I'm eyeballing this entire thing . Well, pretty close. If I had to use math to build it, it wouldn't get built at all. I'm math dyslexic - true story. Figuring how much insulation blanket I need for the next step is already stressing me out. Augh!
                    I use the "level" app in my smartphone to check the angle of the courses.

You are doing pretty well for eyeballing it!
                    My build progress

Comment

Originally posted by Xene View Post
                      I'm math dyslexic - true story. Figuring how much insulation blanket I need for the next step is already stressing me out. Augh!

Xene, I've been listening to a audio book "The Dyslexic Advantage" and if you're not kidding about being Dyslexic it's worth checking out the adult test at dislexicadvantage.com. I can count 4 generations of dislexics in my family and the info really puts family and personal things in context. Recomended.. Regarding how much blanket, just ask and you shall have answers..

Chris

Comment

Hey Chris, I thanks for the suggestion, I think I will check it out. I'm definitely not wired for dealing with numbers - I get heart palpitations and my brain freezes up. Funny too, since my last job was computer geek

OKAY - I know you've all been on pins and needles as to how I managed this second attempt....and if I did it for a third time, I'm sure it would be perfect, but I'm totally pleased with how it came out. All these bricks lock each other into place. My attempt at putting a cross in the top got a little wonky, but it is the thought that counts and with a much trouble as I've had, and as tight as those ended up in there (even though it looks like a lot of mortar, it really isn't) I know I can live with it this way.

I did it all without a form, I couldn't imagine doing it without seeing the underside. I cut the brick yesterday, yep, all the full/deep width. I made a pattern of the hole I had to fill with insulation board (whatever that pink stuff is called) and laid them in bowl shape/opposite. Then mortared them in sections of 5 - but I'd do 3 if I was to do it again - and I'd let then dry longer, some broke apart. Today when they were stiff I mortared them into the hole. It was a little tricky, but not terrible. The sticks worked great. The last two bricks I hammered in together into a mess of mortar and the locked perfectly. I immediately removed the sticks and did nearly the same thing for the middle. I used an old saw blade to keep it all together until I put in the key, removed it all right away, then hammered them to the exact location/depth, filled in any crevices while everything was wet and mushy...was a good day.

I know I say it every time, but I really mean it...thanks for all your great tips - advice, concern, and help! It's beer time!
                        My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

I'd say it turned out better than I could imagine! Well done!
                          Lee B.
                          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Well done Xene

My attempt at putting a cross in the top got a little wonky, but it is the thought that counts
                            And that thought is - "In hoc signo vinces" I think the cross is good - not too perfect - you don't want that - it's kind of like this one below:

btw I hate being pedantic (who am I kidding?) but the word is dyscalculia
                            Amac
                            Link to my WFO build

Comment

Amac - indeed I did conquer...well up to this point any way.

I can't believe I've never heard the term dyscalculia - that would be exactly my problem. On the other hand, I suffer from acute hyperartistica - fabulous for most problem solving...just don't get me near the accounting. I don't really do well with budgets either (that could just be a woman thing though.)

So here is that last picture I took with everything cleared out:

And yes...another error on this oven build, my herringbone pattern for the floor does not go at the diagonal. Figured I better point that out before you perfectionists try to draw that bit to my attention.

I should really learn how to do that thumbnail attachment thing...my pictures are huge.
                              My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Looks great Xene!

thumbnails - When you're entering a post, go to "advanced" and click the paperclip icon in the area above the where you're typing. It's right next to the smiley face. That should pop up a window that lets you upload a picture as an attachment. That's how you get the thumbnail view.
                                My build progress

Comment

Working...
                                X