Fiber board compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiber board compression

I just picked up some FB and was pinching it with my fingers. I can feel it depressing. That let me to think if building a dome on it might compress it. I've seen all the pictures of builds here building their soldier course right on it, but was thinking if I shouldn't expand the footprint of my herring bone floor out far enough for which the soldier course to rest. My thinking is that the weight of the dome wall would be more distributed.

Thanks,
    Nate

Re: Fiber board compression

It's stronger than you think. It will compress with a point load, but it stands up to a distributed load.

Comment

Your little fingers can put a lot more load on it than will an oven.

Comment

I had the same concerns. I posted a pic of my 3/4 ton truck driving onto a piece of it. It did compress the leading edge but after that, no probs. I also left a piece out all winter with weight on it, after it dried out, it was like it never happened. You have no worries...
        Last edited by Les; 06-21-2012, 08:21 PM.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I made the mistake of picking up Mineral Wool initially, not fiberboard. don't make this mistake as I had the exact same concern with that material and found out it was the wrong type of insulation.
          - Jonathan

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." --Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
          X