Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Sizes

Hello, everyone.

I am planning a flared entrance for my oven. While working on my arch templates I started wondering. Is the outer arch higher than the inner arch? Or is it only wider? If it is higher than how much higher? One inch...two inches.

Higher would make it easier to place a door but, would it present any smoke issues? Maybe a bit more leakage out the front, especially at start up, than normally would occur because of the slight upward slope? I think once the stove was burning good and hot there would not be any problems.

Hope everybody has a great night.

Thanks,

David
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - Peter Clemenza

Re: Arch Sizes

I believe most only flare the sides on the entry. I beleve DinoPizza flared his, and it's a masterpiece you could draw from.

Comment

Dino, you are correct. The whole design thing is a set of compromises. You alter one thing for a certain purpose, but it has ramifications somewhere else, very like boat design. You do need to make the outer arch a little higher to fit the door. What I did was to work out how much I wanted the door to overlap the inner arch then add 1/2" at the top and each side so the door won't jam. To help with preventing the smoke spilling out the front,having some volume to hold the smoke as it travels up to the flue pipe or chimney is essential IMO. It means you create a funnel to the pipe.
      Last edited by david s; 06-28-2012, 02:33 PM. Reason: Coma
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for responding guys.

Azatty,

DinoPizza's is one of the builds I look at all the time. His entrance is one of three different ideas I am trying to combine into one entrance. His build is inspiring for a "never have" like me. I have stolen much from his build so far and will probably continue to pillage and plunder his thread until I am finished.

David S,

Thanks for the explanation. So, like two funnels perpendicular to each other. Smoke funnel going into and up the flue and a food funnel straight into the heart of the beast. I will go and think more about my plan of action.

It is going to be 99 degrees here tomorrow. My tomatoes will be loving it big time.

Have a great night all.

Thanks,

David
        "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - Peter Clemenza

Comment

Working...
        X