X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: soapstone use

Hello Frank,
    If I might add to Russell's comment;

You have more options for insulating the top of your dome or barrel since you do not have to worry about the compressive strength of your insulating material. The insulating firebricks or FB boards are solid and work great under the floor but they are quite expensive (I paid ~ $10.00/SF which is fairly typical from what I have read). That is why most people use different material for insulating over the dome or barrel.

You've probably read that most people on this forum use a combination of ceramic blanket or mineral wool (at least 2" is recommended) with vermicrete or permicrete on top of that (or just a healthy layer of vermiculite depending on how you plan to finish the exterior of your structure). These materials are typically much cheaper than the insulating brick or FB boards. You just need to make sure your insulating materials, wherever they are used, can withstand the heat of your oven (~ > 500C) - that's why you can't use Fiber Glass.

Again, your options under the floor are more limited because you need a product that can withstand the weight and the heat of your oven. An economical solution is a Vermicrete or Perlcrete slab under your hearth which is much cheaper than the aforementioned insulating bricks or FB boards but may require a little more effort to produce a level floor (I wish I had gone this route as I could have saved myself more than $200) .

Good Luck on your project, you've embarked on a very interesting journey. Do your research, learn to use the search function in this forum and you will be able to find dozens of answers to any questions you might have. Figuring out which is the right answer is the trick.

Regards,
    AT

Comment

i desperately tried to get the right advice for the soapstone. I ended up putting them under the fire brick and then put splits on top of the fire brick. If the splits break or somehow get ruined i can easily change them. However I sometimes wish I would have put the soapstone down as a cooking surface. they are wonderfully smooth. i was told they draw heat away from the source so people said not to use them as a cooking surface. The oven works nice but if I did it again I would use the soapstone for the cooking surface.

Comment

How about soapstone for the dome? Has anyone found any problems with the 1:1:1:3 mortar mix adhering to soapstone?

My concern is adhesion failure as the soapstone is pretty smooth.

Comment

Frankpaolino,
          One of the beauties of Soapstone is that it's nonporous and because of this it doesn't stain or bond to much of anything. This makes it a great countertop but not so good where you need some bonding. In a practical sense this makes using it for a dome a problem. Look in the commercial oven area for a thread authored by "Windage", he made a spectacular 81" oven with Soapstone as the floor. He runs it nearly continuously and has the most practical, in-use, knowledge when it comes to soapstone.

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris, that is my fear. I guess I will reserve it just for the floor of the oven. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagored154 View Post
              i desperately tried to get the right advice for the soapstone. I ended up putting them under the fire brick and then put splits on top of the fire brick. I
              When I read this I died a little inside...
              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
              John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by frankpaolino View Post
                Thanks Chris, that is my fear. I guess I will reserve it just for the floor of the oven. Thanks for the reply.
                I would give my right...well lets just say I would love to get a bunch of soapstone bricks to build a dome or vault someday.

What Chris says is true, soapstone is non-porous but it is still absorbent. You can absolutely build a dome or vault with soapstone bricks. You could rough up the contact points to help the mechanical bond of the mortar too.

When I lived in CT, my next door neighbor happened to be one of the foremost builders of masonry heaters in the US, and he primarily used soapstone..I wish I could just post a link. Hint - I lived in Goshen,CT. It is a very versatile stone....I hope you go for it...the inside would look stunning!
                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                X