• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hair line crack ?

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
    Every oven cracks.
    Ken,

I remember in the beginning that cracks were appearing. That's what sent me down my path. It seemed if everything could float, and not fall apart, that it would solve the problem. But at the end of the day, we have seen a LOT of cracks and they never have caused a problem (other than the one low arch)

Dave, you are going to be golden - good work.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

+ 1 on the advice to not worry. I have a crack just like that. Not a problem at all

End of the day, I think there are two types of ovens: those that crack, and those people lie about not having cracks.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
        + 1 on the advice to not worry. I have a crack just like that. Not a problem at all

End of the day, I think there are two types of ovens: those that crack, and those people lie about not having cracks.
        A firebrick by itself will not crack. If you force it into a position it doesn't like, it will, or whatever you used to hold it there will crack.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by dsm View Post
          Hello just got my oven temp to 700 deg and just noticed a crack in my arch just wondering if this is ok the crack seems to go thru the brick..all answers appreciated thanks..

Dave
          Hi Dave

That happens sometimes as is nothing to worry about if it is between an 1/8 of an inch. Happy cooking!

Maria

Comment

Hey - how did you get a pic of the crack on the inside of my oven??

Oh, wait - that's not my oven?

Fire that puppy up and make some pizza!!!!

Comment

Cracks happen...As has been said, I wouldn't worry. I've done thirty-plus big fires now. No change in the last 27. Cook some pizza. What interesting about mine however is that when hot it is much much smaller and almost disappears on the top.

Here is a cold pic

Here is a hot pic. I think it really did create its own expension joint.

Last edited by WJW; 08-01-2012, 06:12 PM.

Comment

WJW,

Your oven crack went right through the bricks, just like mine. Interesting that mine seems to widen as the dome heats up and shrinks as it cools . The laws of thermodynamics must be poorly enforced here...

Comment

Hairline cracks occur in wood fired ovens from time to time, but these hairline cracks never become large enough to become a problem. Cracks simply happen with brick ovens on occasion because of the expansion and contraction of the dome and the individual bricks. It's essentially part of nature.

What is important is that these hairline cracks do not impact how well the oven cooks or how long the oven will last.

The homeowner can continue using the oven.As with all traditional ovens (brick), including the Artigiano, that undergo thermal expansion during operation, there is the chance that small cracks can form in the dome.

This phenomenon is normal in every way, and you do not have to worry, because these small cracks do not alter or limit the characteristics of the oven, and you can happily continue to use the oven as you would otherwise.

Enjoy your oven!

Comment

Hi Dave,

Generally this type of hairline crack is something that can happen on occasion with brick ovens due to the expansion and contraction that results from thermal cycling. But it will not cause you any problems, either with how well your oven cooks or on its long-term durability. You can continue using your oven and not worry about this.

Enjoy your pizza party!!

Amber

Comment

Thanks all for the replies .I seem to have already forgotten about it. My concern now is to think of all the different goodies that i can make in this oven ...=)
                      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Picasa photo library:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1043493...lleryMay192012

Comment

I LOVE YOU ALL!!!! I mean I LOVE you all. I just finished my curing and have a small hairline crack in my dome (similar to dsm ). I was freaking out and thinking I had to cancel my Memorial Day pizza party. Thank you for allowing my heart rate to return to normal

Comment

Working...
                        X