Central Texas Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Central Texas Build

Hey pdqtom (tom? moT?) and Tscarborough!

I just joined the forum after devouring it over thanksgiving break. I'm deconstructing an old above-ground hottub that came with the house to get to the existing slab for my future brick oven in Lakeway! Glad to hear there are existing experts in my area to lean on. Tom, also glad to hear you like kegs, despite being filled with michelob ;-) .... might mean I can return favors via homebrew. I suspect there's a correlation between those willing to make a serious oven and a serious beer setup. And pizza e birra is just perfect.

Anyway, hope things are going well, I'll be following with interest!

Pfennig

Comment

Hey Pfennig,
      Sorry for the so late reply! Busy with holidays family and Scouts. I stayed away from the forum so as not to get too anxious about starting up again. I'm just west of the Y about 5 miles towards Drippin'. Got my base finished and the only rain we had in the fall got my insulation wet and took a long time to dry it out. I built the roof over the oven base and gutters installed then the Holidays hit. Now I'm ready to cut brick and sling mortar. All my Scouts are bugging me about doing a pizza party so I need to get going again.
      I'm not by any means an expert but would be glad to offer any help, observations or encouragement I can. Tscarbrough is a great guy and very knowledgeable as well as right here in Austin.
      As for the keg, it used to be XX. Switched to a light beer as I was wearing to much of the Dos Equis! She that must be obeyed likes Ultra so there you go.

Good luck on your build,

moT

(Which is my brothers nickname for Tom)

Comment

Hey Tom, a friend named Josh is opening a Neapolitan pizza joint right there by you called Pieous. He has an FB oven and should be open soon, stop by and say hi to him.

Comment

Howdy Tscar,
          Very cool! Pieous is about a mile from my house and we've been wondering when they would open. I heard a wf oven was going in and I was curious about it. I'll stop by and ask for Josh.
          As you saw I'm back on the build. It's amazing how many things can compete with the attention needed to get back at it.

Thanks again for your help, past and future!

moT

Comment

Howdy all after a long pause with no updates. I have completed my dome and have a question about "cladding". I used Heatstop for my build but kept all the brick dust from cutting. I did not parge or add "cladding" as it is referred to here on the forum. I am waiting for chimney parts to be delivered and was wondering of the usefulness to make home brew with my dust and add a layer over the entire dome. I will post pix soon, as a lot has happened since my last post.

On another note, I have come to an acquaintance with a friend of a friend who fabricates metal. He has a water jet and came to see my build and sketched up a very cool "hood" instead of using an outer arch. The chimney will be in the normal position as if between the arches , except no outer arch. In visualizing in front of the oven now, it seems there is much better access to the oven without the tunnel of using two arches. I described what I had in my minds eye and he sketched it on a small note pad to a Tee. We will be incorporating a swinging insulated door and I am thinking of a swinging vent door on the other side of the opening. So you can choose which door is in use. All is going to be of stainless steel as the rest of my outdoor kitchen is stainless.
            I'm thinking of using a granite or stainless entry floor as he can water cut any shape for me.

Any thoughts?

All this for a couple of beers and a promise of gluten free pizza for his wife when the oven gets fired!

Comment

Any progress on this? Id like to see what you are envisioning. 2 swinging doors sounds interesting but seems to me they would be in the way more that they would be beneficial. Interested to see what you came up with!
              My build documentary page:
              https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Howdy GarnerAC and the Forum,

First off, my apologies for the lack of updating my build. Been so busy using it!

The hood and door approach is working perfectly. I wound up with only one door and could not be happier. I've gotten into sourdough loaves after the pizza firings but find I have to wait an extra day or so for the temp to come down. On the day after pizza firing I'm still way to hot to bake in. I'm amazed how the oven retains heat. A lot of folks that come for pizza are fascinated but I can tell they are skeptical when I tell them it will be around 350f 3-4 days later.

I'm burning so much wood that my wife bought me a 35 ton log splitter for an early Christmas gift. It makes easy work of our tough live oak.

Attached are some photos of the entry and door. GarnerAC, You're not too far from me if you would like to come see it. I'm between Oak Hill and Drpping Springs on 290W. I'm having a surprise Birthday party for my son this weekend with about 40 mid twenties types here on Sat. I'm now buying King Arthur, Sir Lancelot flour in 50# bags! Still haven't figured the dough out perfectly. I'm thinking the right spell or incantation might work better than a recipe!
                I've attached another photo of a Boy Scout fundraiser BBQ on the other end of the backyard. Did 111 briskest all at once, 2,109 pounds of cow going all night long. Pizza is a breeze compared to that.

Comment

I'm having trouble posting photos, gonna do it one at a time. I'm using an iPad.

Comment

Next try for a photo.

Comment

Another one.

Comment

Yet another one.

Comment

Some more.

Comment

That is some nice SS work.
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Monotonous, when you're a Tech idiot!

Comment

Great looking door, can you PM me the contact info for that guy? That is similar to my vision for a door minus the swing-out, but cant find decent SS and I might just "farm it out" now that I see that. Interesting design for sure!
                                My build documentary page:
                                https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Working...
                                X