Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Build

Deejayho-
    Yes...the design is a bit different. I was really concerned about how well it would work. I didn't want to make such a financial and time investment only to have a huge pile of bricks in my yard. I looked for plans but never found much. So I plugged my nose and jumped in the deep end.

The flues never come together.....I figured the hot flue would draw cooler air from the cooler flues causing the draw to stall. Could possibly look at some sort of damper system but I don't think that would work too well. So I have three flues going all the way up. One for the oven....and two (one on each side of the oven entry) for the fireplace. It is configured for gas logs right now...but it was built to do either and can easily be changed back and forth. I tested it with a wood burn on a hot day and I was underwhelmed by its ability to draw. A cooler day might be better....and of course wind really messes with it as well. Using it with gas logs works perfect. Easy on and off....and is easy on wife's asthma which means we use it a lot more. But I know there is nothing like a wood burn...

All in all it cost more to do and took a lot more time. But I am really happy with the result.

Comment

Great job! Beautiful oven. I love the stone and granite. The fireplace will come in handy with Detroit winters.

BTW: was your ovens door just "tin-snipped" and screwed or bolted? I can see beveled "tabs" on the bent over parts along the top. That is something I've drawing on paper this month as a way to make my door as well. So it would great to know if you did it all without welding.

Again, very nice oven, you should be proud.
      -Dino
      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks Dino. I appreciate your comments.

The oven door is in three parts. 1) a thick steel plate (about 1/8")...2) I had some thinner metal bent to an "L" shape with 1" on one side and 2" on the other. I took tin snips and cutnthe Vs out of the 1" side so I could bend it to the curve. Once it was bend the way I wanted it I drilled holes between the Vs and through the steel plate in part one. I then used pop rivet to secure it. Then filled the gap with left over insulation board. 3) finally I cut some sanded plywood for the outer side and ran two bolts all the way through all three pieces to sanwich it all together.

Hope that helps....if not , I can post some more pics of the door. It works great.

Comment

One aspect of my build design that I really like more than I anticipated is the wood storage around the back of the oven. Because I have the fireplace/oven combo the firebox is located where the wood storage typically is. So I made it in the back of the oven and thus it turned out to be much larger. I can fit about 1 1/2 face cords in there along with my axes and other tools. Also...gives me a great cavity to run wires for my lighting and connection for my gas line to the fireplace. Still need to make a door for it.

Comment

It's amazing how much wood you can store, even in a compartment that's about half your base, since you have the fireplace in front. Dividing the large space under the oven (as I did mine) or you did yours for the fireplace also serves to add support under the oven.

Do you think the bolts going all the way thru front to back steel plates give any heat transfer worth worrying about? Are the 2 bolts "all the way thru" the only bolts thru? Meaning: are the door handle bolts just thru the front steel sheet only? thanks again, Dino
            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Do you have a smoke chamber on the fireplace? I would think that you might need a set of taller flues to help with the draw of the fire place. Really nice job though, looks great!
              " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

Dino-

There are only two through bolts that hold the sandwich together. It does go through all three layers described above. The heat transfer has been minimal and not been an issue. The handles are attached with wood screws only into the half inch plywood outer part....they do not go all the way through. Hope that helps....

-Steve

Comment

Thickstrings-

I do have a smoke chamber....it is not as big as it probably needs to be but I was able to fit one in there. I will end up making the stacks a little taller based on how I plan to finish chimney caps. I am hoping that will help with the fireplace draw. The oven draws great.

Thanks for the kind words. If we keep the chatter going we will inspire others to take the dive...

-Steve

Comment

Hey Dino....was thinking about your heat transfer question. Last weekend I hit the bolt heads with the lazer thermometer. They never got over 100 degrees. Also felt them and they were not hot to the touch....thanks for getting me to think about it....

Comment

I would also love to hear the flu reply... also, can someone point me to other discussion on the combined oven/ fireplace design? Thanks... ( my first post! )

Comment

outstanding build, very creative and the combo is the best I have seen on this forum, great work!
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...s-i-18098.html

Comment

Nice . Very nice how hot is it working the oven if both are operating?
                          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Working...
                          X