dlebla's 39" MA build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: dlebla's 39" MA build

Last night I finished the insulation and I now have everything I need to start the floor. Still debating on a thermal break.

Comment

dlebla,

Looks like you have everything for home brew. As far as a thermal break, up to you. I installed both in floor and arch. Good luck.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

After measuring the temps either side of the thermal break I am happy to have gone to the trouble of building it in. I suppose it revolves around how long you want to hold heat. I am really pleased with the capacity to use my oven next day and after.

Depends how you want to use your oven I suppose.
        Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

I started to lay my floor last night and had a couple questions.

1. I noticed the bricks are not very uniform in size thus I get small gaps and the occasional larger one in between the bricks. I assume this is due to the lack of mortar between the bricks acting as a buffer. Just wanted to check before building.

2. As I placed my bricks on the insulation board they seemed very flat. I used a little dry mix of fireclay and sand and seemed to work fine. If I plan on building the dome on top of the floor is this okay? Or should i wet the sand firecaly mix as I assume this will be more secure?

3. If I was to incorporate a thermal break in the oven I have a few other questions.

a. I assume you want the insulation only under the dome and inner arch.

b. Is there any guess to how much longer the oven stays hotter for? I have seen others with no heat break and use the oven for a days after use with no issue as far as I know. Input here is appreciated

c. I have looked at threads of people using the heat/Thermal Break. Is there any consensus of which one is the preferred method for rookies like myself or in general?

Thanks for your input. Here is a picture of the floor so far.

Comment

db,

Congrats on the start of your project.

1. Bricks are not completely uniform, IMHO your floor looks fine. What gaps you have will fill in with ash anyway.
            2. Fireclay/sand is just a leveling medium not a means to secure the brick. By placing the dome on the floor I assume you are doing an enclosure vs and igloo, should be great.
            3a. I have insulation, foamglas and ca si under my outer arch mainly due to the fact is was easier to maintain the same level as the floor and my thermal break on the arch was not a complete separation from the dome, some builders have a complete air gap between the dome and chimmey/outer arch. My floor thermal break has insulation under it too.
            3B. don't know
            3c. lots of ways to skin the cat, choose one that works for you build and you are comfortable building.
            Russell

Comment

So I got the floor done and cut the first row. First attemp at uploading from my phone.

Comment

dlebla,

good start. just a comment on the arch form, you need add a release to the form by shimming the form on bottom or you won't get the form out without damaging all your fine work. Second, save the form for a door template when you get to that point.
                Russell

Comment

Russell is right. In addition, I would make sure that you either clear the mortar that squeezes out between the pieces of ply as you go, and/or cut an opening in the center of it so you can get in there later. I mentioned on another thread that I hadn't shimmed my form up too much and didn't cut an access in it either. The shimming was adequate (about a half inch or so) but the mortar that squeezed out between (inside) the form made it very difficult to remove.
                  John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

So I started to mortar my first course. I mixed the home brew and had it at what I thought was a good consistency. I then spread it on one side of a brick, which I did stick in water for a few seconds and then pushed it to the brick next to it. I did got the effect I thought. It did not seem to stick and seemed very dry almost instantly. I soaked the next bricks a little longer and put the brew on both sides and it seemed better. I went out this morning and the structure seems rather solid.

Does this seem correct? Should the space in between the bricks be completly full of mortar? To get the joints tighter I found just using a little between the bricks and then doing the top front and back easiest.

Is there a better way? Thanks

Comment

I have about 10 bricks on row 1 and about 7 on row 2 done. I was concerned about how the mortar was so I figured I would do a little on both rows so I could find out if there was any issues, both side to side and top to bottom. They appeared to be solid after a few days after my concerns in the last post, I tripped when I was setting up for work today and grabbed the bricks to support myself. I did not fall but the bricks have broken off into 3 sets of connected bricks when breaking my fall.

That being said they are still it's correct position, but I can tell I broke the seal between these 3 sets of bricks. Does this mean I need to start these 2 rows over? Or will it all just support each other and when I mortar over all the outside of the bricks it will keep that all together? Does this make sense? I appreciate your thoughts comments and words of wisdom. Hopefully I can keep going over the weekend, thanks!

Comment

If it were me I would remove the mortar between the broken joints and re-mortar. It?s easier to fix now rather than later.

Matt

Comment

+ 1 on resetting. It the bond breaks between the bricks, you absolutely need to lay them again. You can't do anything from the outside of the dome to get them to re-adhere. You're just starting the dome with cracks.
                          My build progress
                          My WFO Journal on Facebook
                          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I did clean and reset all the joints. Worked some more over the long weekend and made some progress.

Comment

dlebla,

Looks good, ummm, that IT sure looks familar............glad it works for you.
                              Russell

Comment

Some progress over the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X