CalSil vs Vermiculite Board vs Ceramic Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalSil vs Vermiculite Board vs Ceramic Board

A query... building the floor of my oven, and looking at insulation.

Any ideas on the differences between calcium silicate (calsil), Vermiculite board and ceramic board?

M.

Re: CalSil vs Vermiculite Board vs Ceramic Board

Hi Spinal,

This is a wonderful question. I have some answers for you.

Vermiculite is an old-fashioned, inexpensive Insulator. This product is similar qualities to Perlite.
    Ceramic boards are Alumina-Silica insulating boards and blankets are the most efficient material available for pizza oven insulation. Heat resistant to over 2,300?F, ceramic fiber boards and blankets offer extremely low thermal conductivity and are twice as efficient as Insulating Concrete based on either vermiculite or Perlite. Oven insulated with 100% ceramic insulation provide faster oven heat up and better heat retention, and use less space.
    Calsil is a high temperature replacement for asbestos transite. It offers high strength and electrical resistance combined with minimal shrinkage for applications up to 1800? F.

I hope this helps. Happy Building!!

Amber

Comment

That's great - thanks!

So vermiculite board is out... but what should I be using at between ceramic boards and calsil?

Sounds like ceramic boards are the way forward - but I've read of people complaining they have issues with moisture (a big issue in the UK)
      M.

Comment

Great to see a summary comparison!

In addition to the moisture question, could you address the compressive strength of the various options? Perhaps a comparison of the expansion and contraction properties, since we are laying oven domes on top of the material...

Thanks very much.

Carl

Comment

Felix,

Can't answer the question about compression with the other products but many ovens have been built using them all. The board is bullet proof - I drove my truck on the product and only the leading edge was damaged (post 138)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/le...d-4207-15.html
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les - is that ceramic board or calsil board?

Also, in the UK/Europe - calsil board is used quite widely as fire protection. Ceramic board is a little hard to come by, and is frowned upon as being carcinogenic - is this the same stuff? I presume that health & safety aren't an issue as the board is buried under the oven floor... but how do you safely cut it?

M.
            Last edited by Spinal; 08-22-2012, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinal View Post
              Les - is that ceramic board or calsil board?

Also, in the UK/Europe - calsil board is used quite widely as fire protection. Ceramic board is a little hard to come by, and is frowned upon as being carcinogenic - is this the same stuff? I presume that health & safety aren't an issue as the board is buried under the oven floor... but how do you safely cut it?

M.
              It's ceramic. Cutting the stuff is nasty. I used a reciprocating saw and wore a dust mask.
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Continuing on with This, with either calsil or FB board, does anything special have to be done to the joins between two boards when you put them together or simply butt join them?

Comment

butt joints, if more than one layer, stagger joints.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                  X