Joe's 42 in Port Townsend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joe's 42 in Port Townsend

Many thanks to all you guys whose threads I followed that saved me from the "dreaded droop." I think I was able to head it off at the pass! I always wondered what that was all about and sure enough I saw it start to happen with the transition bricks. It's hard to lay out those bricks so they sit where they are supposed to. You can see from the interior shots that the fits are far from perfect but the top edges are level and that's what counts. In the end only the pizzas will ever see those joints! Also, because I started out with full bricks, the interior is not smooth, but "textured" due to the overhang.

Closing in on it now, another 2 courses and I'll be ready for the plug.

Thanks for the compliments.

Comment

I like your simplified approach to the build. It appears to save a lot of nit-picky cuts.

Comment

You know, I agree with gmchm. I think you are on to something with the way you built this. Did you shoot for the same number of bricks in each course by reducing the size? Seems like a very clever approach to avoiding having the gaps line up - and it may reduce cracks. And the overhangs have a kind of op-art look to them.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Ha! If you watched me cutting bricks you'd probably think I was nit-picking! However, if I had not tapered and angled the cheeks, the cuts would all be 90's. It would add a lot of mortar though.
          Hey, are you one of those "Black Sheep Gathering" folks? My wife is a spinner and we attended this year.

Dennis,
          Yes, I started my layout with whole bricks and they have gotten increasingly smaller with each course. I just cut the second to last course and they are down to 2 inches across the bottom inside. The last course will be interesting if I try to maintain the same joint spacing. 15 bricks that will be slivers.
          I don't know if the wider spaced joints at the bottom will result in a stronger overall dome, but it probably doesn't hurt. It will be interesting to see where the "expansion joints" appear.

Regards,

Joe

Comment

Plug Day!! It's over......

Comment

Originally posted by Breadjunkie View Post
              It's over......
              BillShut, its just beginning, the journey of fine food for you, your family and your friends.....
              Last edited by brickie in oz; 10-26-2013, 10:10 PM.
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Looking good Breadjunkie...... Where's inside photos?
                Respectfully,

KB

My build
                Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Brickie calls it right, but it is more fun work and everyone will marvel, "you made this" while their mouth is full.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I meant to say "this part is over." I am ecstatic and overjoyed to be at this stage. Now it has to rest for awhile with the rains and cool weather imminent. I will put up a temporary cover so it can air dry until I can get back to work on it. Thanks for comments.

Here's a couple of interior shots.

Comment

That's a good looking dome. I like that you persisted with the 15 "bricks" per course.

Good transition too.
                      Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Nice job Bread! What a great feeling to have the dome closed in. Soon you'll be baking up a storm. I wouldn't take to long of a break, it's hard to get restarted. I speak from experience.
                        Chris

Link to my photo album:
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Joe-It finally occurred to me that the reference to "black sheep" was to the small photo I'm using. It is, I think, a Water Buffalo, one of three that lives on a neighbors property. I chose it because it looks like the Water Buffalo shown in the videos of the making of Buffalo Mozzarella. The neighbors, however, appear to have them only to control their pasture. Gary
                          Last edited by gmchm; 11-04-2013, 11:49 PM. Reason: Nit-Picking

Comment

Gary,

Sorry for the confusion. I shoulda' taken a closer look at the photo. Anyway, must be interesting to have water buffalo for neighbors. Maybe they'll make some authentic mozzarella!

Regards,

Joe

Comment

This build looks super and a nice arch too!
                              Link to my build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...nia-19904.html

Link to my pictures
                              https://plus.google.com/photos/10871...CPfMh4SMmcnQAQ

Comment

Joe- Don't we wish! My Google research says that buffalo mozzarella has yet to be commercially produced successfully in the US. When it is made they have been unable to duplicate the texture of the original.

Comment

Working...
                                X