Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build

After reading this forum and watching youtube videos for over a year I have finally started my oven build. So far I have the base pad poured and the stand built. Hoping to get the stand framed and the top pad poured sometime this week.

I'd like to thank everyone here for their posts and advice in this forum. No way would I have dared try this by myself without all the information available here.

Re: Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build

Great start, what a nice view to have while cooking your pies.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Good Looking start. Welcome the WFO world. Great spot for your build. Enjoy your build.
      Looks like a large base. what is the plan?
      Texman
      Texman Kitchen
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Good Looking start. Welcome the WFO world. Great spot for your build. Enjoy your build.
        Texman

Thanks! For right now I'm just going to cover the oven with stucco when I am done. But I might change my mind later and add walls and a roof so I decided to give myself some extra room. Figured it wouldn't hurt to have the extra room. It will end up being about 77 X 71 inches for the top slab.

Comment

Looking good! I am amazed at the amount of Michigan members here. Wow!

Comment

Another Michigander here too.
            I've been lurking here off and on for a long time and plan to start on my oven soon. There is a wealth of information in the forum.

Looking forward to following your build!
            John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

Originally posted by texman View Post
              Texman
              The plan right now is to cover the dome with stucco for an igloo oven. Might change my mind later so I wanted the extra room just in case I decide to inclose it at a future date. Going to end up being about 78 X 71 inches for the top when done. The foundation is 88 X 80. Had that poured by the professionals when we extended our patio this summer.

Comment

I like what you did with the base...I wished I had split my base into two "rooms".

Just curious, how deep does your foundation need to be in Michigan? Im in PA and our zoning guy insisted that my foundation rest on 36 inches deep footers!!!

I went with the gabled roof over my oven. I did not want to risk a crack in the stucco allowing water to seep into the insulation. I felt a roof over the oven would manage water much better...just a thought.

Comment

Not sure what the official code would be. I live out in the country so didn't have to deal with an inspector on this. It's a 6 inch base with rebar on top of gravel on top of sand. My property is on a natural sand hill. The company who poured it didn't think I needed any more then that. Lets hope that they are right and I don't have problems a few years from now

Comment

Another Michan build! Great to see Michigan is well represented. I am in Macomb County. You and I are at about the same point in the project. I poured my hearth pad last weekend and hope to begin the dome this weekend. I hope we beat the snow! Anyway, nice start. I will keep in touch throughput the build.
                    -Steve

Comment

Originally posted by szv9n5 View Post
                      Another Michan build! Great to see Michigan is well represented. I am in Macomb County. You and I are at about the same point in the project. I poured my hearth pad last weekend and hope to begin the dome this weekend. I hope we beat the snow! Anyway, nice start. I will keep in touch throughput the build.
                      -Steve
                      Your ahead of me now then. Do to scheduling conflicts I couldn't get my hearth poured yet. Now set for Tuesday or Wednesday. I did get my indispensable tool made and my fiber board insulation though. I'll probably start cutting floor bricks Monday so I'll get some progress in. Good Luck with your build!

Comment

Hearth is finally poured. Of course after a summer of drought there are thunderstorms on the way tonight. Hopefully the tarp holds.

Comment

Good job on the pour. I see the guy on the tractor doing all the work though.
                          If that pour sets overnight and with the tarp, the rain wont hurt a thing. Looks like that concrete ripped your shirt off, i hope you are ok. getting that base done is one of the big milestones in this journey, cheers.
                          Tracy
                          Texman Kitchen
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Lol. That is my cousin's boyfriend Curt with the shirt off. No one wants to see me with my shirt off. Hearth turned out great. Hope to start floor tomorrow. Terry

Comment

Do to grass growing too fast, rain, work and two little kids I haven't had much time for the oven this past week. Finally had some time last night and tonight to start cutting bricks. Floor is cut now. Hope to cut insulation and start on the dome tomorrow. Will have to see how it foes. But hey, at least I have a floor!

Comment

Working...
                              X