Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build

Finished the dome and entrance last week. Been so busy though I haven't had time to post pictures since then. Ended up using an exercise ball for the last few courses of bricks. Made putting the bricks in easier at the end but did make cleaning the inside up a little more difficult. Luckily I had some help with the cleaning.

The first cure fire was great. Finally after all that work I was able to see a glimpse of things to come. What a great feeling. Started my second cure fire today. So far no cracks but I expect a few here before I am done.

I still have the clay flue left to put on. Wanted to wait a few days after the entrance was done then was too busy to touch the oven this past week. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to put it on Tuesday on my day off or wait till the oven is completely cured.

Comment

I think your use of what appears to be some plastic ball in making the dome is great

Comment

Congrats on the first fire.........
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

congrats on getting your first fire! i enjoyed the build process, but getting a roaring fire and making 20 pizzas and not having it collapse really makes it! enjoy!
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...s-i-18098.html

Comment

Originally posted by fred.collins View Post
            I think your use of what appears to be some plastic ball in making the dome is great
            It was a 55 cm exercise ball. Makes the last few rows easier though does involve some extra clean up when you deflate the ball.

Comment

Finished the cure a few weeks ago now. Cooked the first pizza too! What a relief when saw the first pizza come out of the oven. All of that work payed off finally!

Was originally going to just go with stucco to cover the oven but the wife decided that she wanted something different so we went with a natural stone veneer. Took a bit but I finally finished covering the dome with it yesterday. I won't be able to do the stand until next spring since we ran out of warm days here in Michigan now. About the last thing I'll be able to do this year is find a piece of granite or marble for the entryway. Should be ale to pick that up at a resale store on Monday.

It's a blast cooking in the oven. Was actually able to use the huge cast iron pan my wife bout me a couple of years ago for the camp fire. Made a rather tasty pork loin in it tonight. Let the fun begin!!

Comment

Looks great! My wife doesn't eat pizza, so I always have a cast iron pan in there with either venison or elk steaks for her.

Good luck with it, keep us posted on your meals!

Comment

congrats, I remember too wondering if my oven would just collapse, or even work right after all that work. I really enjoyed getting it up to full temp and buring off the soot on the bricks, turning them almost white. great job, enjoy it!
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...s-i-18098.html

Comment

Working...
                  X