Adding a reveal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a reveal

I don't have a reveal for my oven and now see the benefit and advantage of one. I have thought about bending a steel bar to form against the arch then drilling holes and screwing it onto the bricks. Another idea is to cut bricks and mortar it on but not sure how secure that would be. TIA for suggestions.

I can't figure out how to post pictures on web forums from my iPad, otherwise I'd have some pictures to share.

Nate

Re: Adding a reveal

You should probablly figure out how to post pics. You know the old saying about a thousand words.

The way I do it is to simply upload the pics to an image hosting site on the web. (I use imageshack.) It's free. You go to the web page. Register (about like you register on Forno Bravo). Then you simply upload the photos there. Then, you copy and paste the "embed code" and paste it into your post. It takes about thirty seconds to upload five pics and copy them here.

For example:

Comment

Lets give this a try.

Comment

Nate - what did it take to load the pic. You did this with your Ipad, correct?
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Yes I did. I signed up for an imageshack account, but found out that I had to go through a process of "registering" the ipad. I don't have the ID for the iPad to get the app that allows me to access imageshack on the ipad. So I sent the pictures to a friend who uploaded them to imageshack and sent me the link.

Comment

Looks good.

Is the point of the reveal just allow something to seat a door against?

If so, couldn't you just use a hi-temp epoxy and glue a length of ceramic fiber rope around the perimeter of the entry. It might require a "re-glue" every year or two, but it would be a heck of a lot easier and cleaner than adding a masonry reveal.

JMO

Bill

Comment

I have the same issue. I don't think the masonry approach will last. Bending a 1.5" piece of angle iron is the way to go.
              Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Originally posted by WJW View Post
                Looks good.

Is the point of the reveal just allow something to seat a door against?

If so, couldn't you just use a hi-temp epoxy and glue a length of ceramic fiber rope around the perimeter of the entry. It might require a "re-glue" every year or two, but it would be a heck of a lot easier and cleaner than adding a masonry reveal.

JMO

Bill
                Hi Bill,

I had the same idea, so I started researching oven gaskets and contacted Rutland (a manufacturer of gaskets and other high temp products). After explaining the use for their rope, their rep quickly interjected that their gaskets are not food safe, and she did not know of a substitute product that is food safe.

Are the ceramic fiber ropes food safe? Anyone know of any product that Is?

Thanks,
                Nate

Comment

Originally posted by lwood View Post
                  I have the same issue. I don't think the masonry approach will last. Bending a 1.5" piece of angle iron is the way to go.
                  Have you done this? I think that would be a great solution. I just need to find a rounded angle iron.

Comment

I honestly didn't consider the "food safe" angle.

That being said, my understanding of the issues presented by ceramic fiber generally have to do with inhalation hazards. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't encapsulate the rope with some high-temp silicone or something similar. I also have to question the degree to which those ropes would shed harmful fibers in that application.

Finally, I'd be surprised if there weren't "bio-soluable" ceramic fiber ropes available.

Bill

Comment

There are a couple products out there that use Type E fiberglass around braided stainless steel wire that will handle 1000 degrees F. Another product is Type E Fiberglass wrapped in silicon that will take up to 500 degrees F. Davlyn makes/sells both. Fiberglass can be "food safe" if it uses the right kind of resin (they make water tanks from it).

Remember that "food safe" generally means that food comes in direct contact with the surface. I was surprised to learn how much "non-food safe" materials are allowed/used in food preparation equipment.

I'd go with bending the angle iron and using floating pins to anchor it into the exterior arch (it's not structural; it doesn't have to be epoxied or anything). Now, bending angle isn't the easiest thing to do unless you have a bender, but you can cut it and bend it that way.

Another option is to build a reveal inside the dome. You'd essentially make another interior arch, and there'd probably be a fair bit of brick cutting and cursing involved, but you could do it.

Comment

Originally posted by lwood View Post
                        How do you bend angle iron w/o notches? I would think you would have to weld and grind the surface to get a reasonable seal. Also, 1.5 inches seems a little aggressive. I think a 1 inch reveal is more than adequate. JMO
                        Check out my pictures here:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                          How do you bend angle iron w/o notches? I would think you would have to weld and grind the surface to get a reasonable seal. Also, 1.5 inches seems a little aggressive. I think a 1 inch reveal is more than adequate. JMO
                          I wonder the same thing. A search turned up a few companies that describe angle iron bending. Another thought was to bend the two pieces seperately then welding together.

When I read the 1.5" I pictured in my mind that's the width of the steel that would lay flat and will be anchored to the brick and the "L" part piece would be 1/2" wide acting as the lip for the door to rest up against. Clarification would be nice.

Nate

Comment

Bending angle iron is not easy, cutting and welding is the only way I can think of. The thickness of the angle iron is not 1/2", it's about 1/4". Make your door so it clears the 1/4" lip. Some metal working shop should be able to do it, given the door dimensions.
                            Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Options 1,2,3 use 3 metal masonry anchors, 1 on each side and one on the top of the arch.

Option 1: .5" to.75" angle iron should be sufficient to seal against and won't significantly reduce the opening.

Option 2: Might I suggest using .75" solid square stock, making a template and taking it to a metal fabricator to bend barstock to match for a case of beer? drill and counterbore for 3 screws to pass through and into a metal masonry anchor

Option 3: Lightweight option 2, .25"x.75" bar stock bent the hard way, weld 3 tabs on the back of the part to bolt through into masonry anchors.

Options 1 and 3, keep the flange of the reveal facing in the oven so you don't need to clear it with a door or see it while looking in. Options 1,2,3, seal from the oven side with high temp silicone caulk

Option 4: A collapsable door, one that has a vertical axis hinge in the middle, you will have a hard time getting it to seal great but you won't have to touch the oven. To clarify If you are looking from the top down the door would look like a "V" with the tip of the v facing in, once the edges are in place spread the legs of the v.

Side Note, I use imgur to upload pictures, no account needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X