Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete Counters

Moving on, good luck everyone.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 11-09-2014, 10:36 AM.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Re: Concrete Counters

Doug,

Thanks for the info. Think you are right and that's why the thread was started. The thread is a work in progress and any input is always welcome. PS, started gutting the remaining junk out of blanket heater to set it up as my proofer.
    Russell

Comment

Russell, did you find the tools necessary to accomplish this concrete polishing online? Which tools did you use? This is a useful thread!
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Lee,

The only thing I purchased online was the wet grinder and polishing discs and concrete coloring. Everything else was locally sourced, ie concrete mix, ladder wire, add mix. I would have to stress there are some wet grinders on sale through the "E" company but they are not GFI protected and although cheaper, not worth the risk. I need to update the thread with some of the 2013 WFO builds with concrete counters.
        Russell

Comment

I am going to pour a 2.5" counter for an outside cabinet within a few weeks. It will have a marbling technique that might interest you.
          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

Comment

Stonecutter,

Your build thread is already linked to the "concrete counter" thread so anything you do with the marbling is going to be linked. I will be interested to see your results.
            Russell

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
              I am going to pour a 2.5" counter for an outside cabinet within a few weeks. It will have a marbling technique that might interest you.
              Thanks Utah for putting this thread together.

I'm in the infant stages of planning my concrete counter tops. I look forward to seeing your marbling technic and following the threads. Will that be a pour in place or cast upside down?

I want to cast a 2" upside down its seams that it would be a little easier to form, especially for a pretty much a rectangle. The same size on both sides of my oven. One side will have a under mount sink opening. Can I use the same form for both? What is the minimum width of the concrete needed around the sink?

The counter in front off my oven will be quite complex It might be better to cast in place.
              Respectfully,

KB

My build
              Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Upside down.
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                  Thanks Utah for putting this thread together.

I'm in the infant stages of planning my concrete counter tops. I look forward to seeing your marbling technic and following the threads. Will that be a pour in place or cast upside down?

I want to cast a 2" upside down its seams that it would be a little easier to form, especially for a pretty much a rectangle. The same size on both sides of my oven. One side will have a under mount sink opening. Can I use the same form for both? What is the minimum width of the concrete needed around the sink?

The counter in front off my oven will be quite complex It might be better to cast in place.
                  A one and a half inch counter is sufficient for strength, and would be much easier to flip. From what you described, you can use the form for both sides. But, that will be days apart on separate pours. You will need to take precise notes if you are mixing in color to make sure they match.

I agree with Stoncutter. To be a perfect match to the counters, the counter in front of your oven will need to be an upside down also. Don't let it's complex shape scare you. Take a piece of 1/4" luan (or cardboard even) and make a template. Turn it over and make your form to fit the template .
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

No matter the thickness of the counter, don't overlook full support underneath it.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

No matter the thickness of the counter, don't overlook full support underneath it.
                      Are the counters not set on a bed of mortar or sort to facilitate leveling and anchoring?

I was hoping to keep the counter in front of my oven up a bit to allow the flashing under the vent area bricks to channel any water intrusion into vent area, under the counter top away from the insulation and out the front. I was figuring small beds of mortar about a foot apart.

On my cabinets tops I'm figuring a 2x4 front and back and 2X2 on 16" centers.

What are you considering full support?
                      Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Are the counters not set on a bed of mortar or sort to facilitate leveling and anchoring?

I was hoping to keep the counter in front of my oven up a bit to allow the flashing under the vent area bricks to channel any water intrusion into vent area, under the counter top away from the insulation and out the front. I was figuring small beds of mortar about a foot apart.

On my cabinets tops I'm figuring a 2x4 front and back and 2X2 on 16" centers.

What are you considering full support?
                        2x2 is a bit flimsy...use 2x4 for everything.

Mine cabinet is going to be framed with 4x4 oak timbers...for aesthetic & design reasons....and the substrate beneath the concrete is going to be 3/4" pt plywood, felt, then 1/4 perma base.

Like natural stone tops, you don't need to adhere concrete counters down with mortar or glue....silicon is all that is needed. If your counter is outside, then make sure to get exterior grade....better yet use Lexel, it's the best.
                        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

2x2 is a bit flimsy...use 2x4 for everything.

Mine cabinet is going to be framed with 4x4 oak timbers...for aesthetic & design reasons....and the substrate beneath the concrete is going to be 3/4" pt plywood, felt, then 1/4 perma base.

Like natural stone tops, you don't need to adhere concrete counters down with mortar or glue....silicon is all that is needed. If your counter is outside, then make sure to get exterior grade....better yet use Lexel, it's the best.
                          Thank for the great info..........You choice for 1" of substrate.......Wow......Am I missing something?.......Although it was you that commented on: Error on the side of safety:......... Caution there is wisdom in that.......................... Glad to see you practice what you preach...........
                          I'll error on the side of safety.
                          That said, you won't go wrong if...
                          There is wisdom in caution.
                          Cant wait see your marbling. Do you have a deadline or time frame set?
                          Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Thank for the great info..........You choice for 1" of substrate.......Wow......Am I missing something?.......Although it was you that commented on: Error on the side of safety:......... Caution there is wisdom in that.......................... Glad to see you practice what you preach...........

Cant wait see your marbling. Do you have a deadline or time frame set?
                            I'm doing that so I can get away with less support in the middle. I may eliminate the durock, but I'm definitely going with 3/4" pt.

My deadline is ASAP....we are putting the house on the market as soon as I wrap up these lose ends. On top of this I have a pretty good punch-list for inside work. I'm halfway through the master bath remodel now......
                            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

My deadline is ASAP....we are putting the house on the market as soon as I wrap up these lose ends.
                              Moving Ouch.............. What about Your beloved WFO?...........Your leaving another beauty behind?......... How many is this? ..............I lost count.......... Your Wood Fired Redux is a master piece of perfection......What is her perfection not good enough?..............You're gone to get a reputation as a WFOnizer

Good luck on the move.
                              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Working...
                              X