Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Concrete Counters

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    With all the great builds past, present and future, there is a natural evolution to "raise the bar" so to speak. WFO builders on this Forum are innovating, experience and creative, using new or reusing old materials in ways not thought of even a year ago. So with the encouragement of one of mentors during my build (Lburou aka Lee), I decided to build a thread and album that focuses on "concrete counters" whether they be hard troweled or wet polished or who know what someone will think of.

I myself am in the middle of doing a polished concrete counter with crushed glass. There are others at various stages on counter top construction. So as I develop this thread, please let me know of other builders I may have missed so I can incorporate their experience and ideas into this thread. Just the start.

I catergorized concrete counters/decorative pouring into several area:

Outside the Box Concrete
    Gulf - Mississippi - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...4-a-17062.html
    Steve - North Carolina - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...tml#post105389
    Stonecutter - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/m...tml#post148709

For those without links I am working on them and will edit soon. This is a preliminary list and all comments and links are welcome.
    Utah,
    I've just finished studying the Outside of the Box threads and thought I would make a few comments. On Stonecutter's and Steve's threads it was very easy to find info on the concrete counter. Lot of good info thanks. As a time saver for others I've included a link to where Gulf started to talk about his. Page 26 post #254 Gulf and Stonecutter and others had a lot of good discussion on how to, material and ideas on Gulf's thread. I thought if you liked and approve, the link could be in your original post as a time saver. My plan is to study all the other threads and categories. I briefly clicked the other links and most of them started at post #1 of the threads. If its ok as I go threw them, as time permits and I will post a link for were I think the concrete counter begins. Or the author could do the same. I think this work be a great addition to your thread and a great time saver.
    Respectfully,

KB

My build
    Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
      Moving Ouch.............. What about Your beloved WFO?...........Your leaving another beauty behind?......... How many is this? ..............I lost count.......... Your Wood Fired Redux is a master piece of perfection......What is her perfection not good enough?..............You're gone to get a reputation as a WFOnizer

Good luck on the move.
      This will be the second personal wfo I leave behind. Not bothered a bit, now I get to build another... I have big plans, for the base especially. Big changes planned for the next one overall.

I appreciate the comments about my work, the craft is very important to me...and it is nice when clients, family and forum members like what I make.

This time I'm building a small temporary one until the permanent one gets built, so there isn't a big gap in wfo use. I also have another for a client, so I'll be busy this year.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Stonecutter, you should be proud, your work is singularly fantastic. I can't wait for the next oven.

Comment

KB,

Thanks for the suggestion, taken care of. Also as you do your research as see any other concrete counter builds that should be linked just let me know.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
            Stonecutter, you should be proud, your work is singularly fantastic. I can't wait for the next oven.
            Thanks man..that makes two of us!
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

I have procrastinated long enough............. I need to get moving on my counter tops.

I am considering using these:

QUIKRETE? - Countertop Mix

Cement colors

I plan on using the colorant in Buff or maybe Terra Cotta and add some natural stone aggregate exposed in a polished finish.

I have 3 #80 lb. bags of left over stucco cement and sand, but not sure I could use those for a mix and not sure if it would be strong enough.

http://www.cemexusa.com/ProductsServ...tDataSheet.pdf

I haven't settle on what reinforcement to use yet, It will be 2" thick with about 4" overhang and a under mount sink.

Here is couple polishers ideas:Wet Polisher+Diamond Polishing 8 Pads+ Backer Granite Marble Concrete

Stone Polisher/Concrete Polisher 4" Wet Polisher Kit For Granite Polish/Concrete Countertops/Floor

I already have a grinder, I know someone has told me about a variable speed control to go with it. If they or someone could post a link, it would be appreciated. Also how was dry sanding or did you use water and how did it work out?

Has any one used any of these materials or tools and had any luck?

With Russell's blessing, lets try to make this thread a one stop shop for all your counter top needs. Looking for your comments, advice and links.
              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Polishing pads can be had for <$40. I used these, they were great
                STADEA Premium Grade Wet 5" Diamond Polishing Pads Set For CONCRETE Polish - Amazon.com

For the grinder, get a router speed controller. There are about a dozen options on amazon, or you can get the same thing at HF
                http://www.amazon.com/TruePower-Elec...+speed+control
                I wet sanded with a cheap ($15) HF grinder and it was good that this unit has a GFCI in it. I only tripped it once

I used the Quikcrete countertop mix. It worked great. A little pricey perhaps, but I was only doing it once! Not sure what to say about your stucco cement. I am sure it could be doctored up, but the cost of failure seems high.

As for reinforcement, I went with fiberglass mesh + fibers in the mix. Only have a couple very fine hairline cracks after two winters. It's available at Directcolors, a pretty good resource for your project
                Concrete Countertop Supplies - Direct Colors
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I used the Secco Wet polisher with the diamond polishing pads (8 of them ranging from 100 grit thru 3000 grip....it was expensive but it worked great. Very messy/water everywhere; wear a poncho.

I would have used the Quickcrete Countertop Mix, but it was expensive and my countertop was massive (20 bags). I opted for the Sakrete 5000, which in hindsight was probably a mistake. The aggregate comes to the surface and gets polished. The aggregate in the sakrete is random colors. For color, I used acid stain which was a mistake. The aggregate does not take the acid color. I didn't like the look, so I refinished it with an acrylic sealant....looks great now.

My point is, (1) I would recommend using the Quikrete Countertop mix, and
                  (2) I would not recommend acid stain. The color mixes might be good, but you can do some really cool effects with some of the acrylic color sealants.

Comment

I wanted black counters. I used colorant in the concrete itself but found it was not as dark as I wanted. I should have just loaded it in! To darken it up to where I wanted, I used acid stain on top of the pigment. The acid stain worked well with the Quikcrete - which has very fine aggregate. Looked great for about a year. However, the acid stain hasn't really weathered all that well. It's wearing now and I may choose to restain it this summer.
                    My build progress

Comment

Speed controller I've used. Cheap but needs to be built into a box. 220V
                      Adjustable 3800W AC 0 220V Voltage Regulator Dimming Light Lamps Speed Control | eBay

Comment

KB,

I used a Hardin 5" disc wet polisher. It depends on your budget but have to stress get one with a GFI circuit. You get really wet doing the polishing, I wore a rain suit, water and electricity don't play well together. I used Quickrete 5000 with a plasticizer called Super P. If you work it too much the aggregate does surface so don't overwork it. I also used ladder wire for reinforcement. At 2" thick , it may be too thin for pencil rebar. Also, I am glad to add material section to the concrete counter thread as long as we don't get censored for posting other product links.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks all for the advice. I have my polishing equipment on the way.

I'm wondering about the fiber glass reinforcement fibers. Do they poke thru when grinding and polishing? I'm very sensitive to fiber glass and I don't want break out every time I put my arm on the counter.
                          Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                            Thanks all for the advice. I have my polishing equipment on the way.

I'm wondering about the fiber glass reinforcement fibers. Do they poke thru when grinding and polishing? I'm very sensitive to fiber glass and I don't want break out every time I put my arm on the counter.
                            Not that I have ever seen. They seem to incorporate completely.
                            My build progress

Comment

Working...
                            X