Arch Design Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arch Design Help

On other thing. I allotting a gap of 3/8" for mortar joints. Is that about right?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob in Mo View Post
      On other thing. I allotting a gap of 3/8" for mortar joints. Is that about right?
      For regular masonry, 3/8" is standard. If you are tapering all your bricks my experience is that you probably won't use that much mortar - maybe 1/4". But there are probably many opinions on this

Nice CAD work on the mockups. That design looks good
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I really like the concept of a smokebox. With the added weight on top of your current straight-sided entryway, I would make sure to buttress both sides. Great graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob in Mo View Post
          Additional design pictures
          I like the "smoker box" that you have designed. I designed mine to taper in to the point where I transitioned to a damper and finished flue size. Let me echo GianniFocaccia, buttress .
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hey Gulf,
            I'm really curious: does your damper affect the draw of your flue sufficiently to control the rate/intensity of an active fire?

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
              Hey Gulf,
              I'm really curious: does your damper affect the draw of your flue sufficiently to control the rate/intensity of an active fire?
              I can't answer that since I haven't fired her up yet. It is just a gut feeling that I have from years of working with fireplaces, smokers, grills, BBQ pitts and venting housefires . I do think that it will add another control point other than the amount of air that is added at the base of the door. I don't know if it will be useful to control temps, but Brickie has a great video on his ( I can't locate it now, maybe he will chime in) insulated damper.

I am sure that it will be benificial in controling low and slow smokes.however. My oven, entry, and flue/chimney are all insulated to varying degrees. I plan to use the oven for various types of cooks . Some will require the insulated door at the dome and some will require require an insulated door at the fireplace reveal. Another door at the fireplace reveal will be able to adjust the amount of air allowed into the oven for the "low and slows".

I will definately report back on what worked for me and what did not .
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
              X