Fire bricks for Pompei oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire bricks for Pompei oven

Hi every one, I'm building a pompei oven and I'm at the stage where I'll start working with the fire bricks.

My uncle learned about my project and suggested that I used some old used fire bricks that he has from an old oil based furnace. I checked them out and they appear to be in good shape and he has enough for at least two ovens. My only concern is their age. They are at least 30 yrs old. Are these too old? What is the longevity of fire bricks?

The last thing I want is to use them and they start breaking after 5 yrs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Nick

Re: Fire bricks for Pompei oven

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forum! Great question.

We've had several members use old, reclaimed bricks. As long as they appear to be in good shape and free from any cracks I don't think you'll have any problem with them.

Now, the big question: I'm not real familiar with how oil furnaces work. Are the bricks exposed directly to the oil? As long as the bricks weren't exposed to anything toxic, you should be fine. I'm sure others will jump in here.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Re: Fire bricks for Pompei oven

If they were exposed to the fumes caused by burning oil they might contain carcinogens and other impurities. I'd pass on those, or at least get them tested.

Comment

Working...
      X