Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

could I use these in place of the second floor slab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could I use these in place of the second floor slab?

Ceramic Kiln Fire Brick K-23 IFB

K-23 straight IFBs (Insulating Fire Brick) 9"x4.5"x2.5"

I have heard a lot of people complain about insufficient insulation in the floor. I see these insulating firebricks for sale locally. Could I pour the normal 3" slab for the floor, then build the next layer out of these firebricks, before laying down the conducting firebricks for the oven? Skip the vermicrete / FB board and just use IFBs for that entire section?

Is this a good deal @ $2/piece?

Re: could I use these in place of the second floor slab?

you could use them, although I think you'd want to maybe lay them on edge. Check the ratings, I think IFB is less effective as an insulator than CF board, so you'll want more than 2.5".

$2 each is a good price for IFB, but how many of them does it take to make up the same area as a sheet of CF board? That's the price comparison I'd do. Check the prices of CF board at McGill's Warehouse.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Re: could I use these in place of the second floor slab?

I looked up IFB properties and found thermal conductivity on the order of 0.3 W/mK. Forno Bravo board claims 0.13 W/mK. So yes IFB is slightly less but I think when you get below 1 W/mK it's a great insulator and you're splitting hairs to measure it out to two decimal points. Anyone have a # for 4:1 or 5:1 vermicrete?

Comment

Working...
      X