X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AaronTheGeek
    replied
    Re: 36" pompeii in WI in the winter

We got the SBC on last weekend. I'm hoping to get this baby moved over to my place in 4-5 days so I can get cooking finally! There will eventually be a trim piece around the bottom to hide the fork slots and improve the overall looks. I'm still trying to decide how I'm going to finish of the wood storage opening. I might make doors or just trim it out with grey composite fascia board.

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Some pics. This build has been a lot of fun. I'm going to miss it when it's done.

As you can see I made an ash slot despite the many advice/warnings against them on this board. One of the main reasons for doing so is that I have 6 sisters at home who love to bake, and I want the oven to be as easy to use as possible. I have an idea about how to make a cover for the slot when not in use that should keep it from ever being an inconvenience.

Leave a comment:

• Faith In Virginia
    replied

That may not be a bad idea. Unlike block your structure could have some flex to it when you move it. So cracking in the corners is possible.

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
    Aaron, I used the quickwall on my oven (and other places) I used a lath on mine but that is only because i went directly over the insulation. I would not think it necessary to use any lath over cement board. If you can dry stack block and put this stuff on I think it will work just fine on cement board. To be sure you can run a test patch using some leftover board. Then test for how much abuse it will withstand.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks, I'm going to set the countertop and decorative arch today(pics to come), and tape the cement board seams with mesh tape and thinset. I'm throwing around the idea of putting 12" strips of lath on the corners.

Leave a comment:

• Faith In Virginia
    replied

Aaron, I used the quickwall on my oven (and other places) I used a lath on mine but that is only because i went directly over the insulation. I would not think it necessary to use any lath over cement board. If you can dry stack block and put this stuff on I think it will work just fine on cement board. To be sure you can run a test patch using some leftover board. Then test for how much abuse it will withstand.

Hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

So to add to the above questions......Do I even need to use lath with SBC? I was thinking I would just put lath on the cement board and down a few inches below the top of the base(I'm not really worried about cracks below the top of the base). I read that lath is not recommended for two coat stucco applications. Can someone verify this? (Tscarborough?)

I want to minimize cracking and maximize water resistance without getting too involved. If I went with a regular stucco mix I would have to find white portland as white is the finished color I am going for.

~Aaron

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Nice quality work.
    Thanks Russell.

I am getting closer to stucco time. I am planning on using 2 1/4" coats of Quikwall SBC. Can someone tell me what the difference is between using flat and self-furring metal lath? I picked up some lath that is flat, but, according to some things I've read I should use the self furring stuff. I'm not planning on putting any tar paper behind the stucco if that makes any difference.

~Aaron

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Nice quality work.

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

I also got the landing cap and decorative arch poured. The mix was a little on the wet side and I'm hoping I won't have any cracking issues. I got the black melamine instead of white because it was on sale. I wouldn't recommend it though as marks were very hard to see. My boss has a variable speed polisher and diamond pads that I will be using to polish everything.

~Aaron

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Here's some progress pics. I finished the framing, and a friend in the roofing trade helped me install the standing seam roof. The standing seam panels were free leftovers from a job my friends company had. They have been sitting outside and therefore are dirty. I need to get up there and clean them.

The neat thing about the standing seam system is that the panels can be removed easily in a matter of minutes. Since I didn't put any kind of sheeting underneath them I will have easy access to the inside of the structure, making any future wiring and repairs a breeze.

~Aaron
    Last edited by AaronTheGeek; 01-01-2013, 07:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Here's a blurry pic of the Calsil collar in between the vent arch and the dome. I used a string to mark the radius, then cut it with a utility knife.

I got a 4'x25' roll of 1" Kaowool for a good price. It was enough for 3 layers 2' up the sides, and 2 layers on the top. I had some rockwool bats around left over from another project, so I put 2" of it on top giving me 4" total. I'll cover everything with vermiculite when I get the walls up.

Now for some steel studs!

~Aaron

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Aaron,

Here's a thread on chimney temps, I read another one somewhere indicating similar temps but can't seem to find it. Take it for what it is worth.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/s...html#post64193

Also here is a high temp caulk I used for my ceramic rope.
    Thanks again Russell. If you read down in that post you will see someone reported 120C flue temp with a 500C oven. The other guy must've measured wrong. I'll have to see if I can find some higher temp sealant around here like the stuff you used.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Aaron,

Here's a thread on chimney temps, I read another one somewhere indicating similar temps but can't seem to find it. Take it for what it is worth.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/s...html#post64193

Also here is a high temp caulk I used for my ceramic rope.

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Nice work Aaron, the flue temps can get really hot so check and see if the sheet metal adapter can handle upwards of a 1000 degrees. You may want to protect the ceramic rope on the inside of the arch from reaching any food. Good for insulation, not so good around food. Good job, looking forward to seeing the move......
    Thanks Russell, I'm looking forward to moving it too!

Does the flue really get that hot? I'm not worried about the adapter as much as sealing around the pipe coming through the roof. I wasn't planing on using insulated stove pipe($110 for 3'!). I took some readings on our wood stove vent pipe right above the stove while it was burning fairly hot, and the temps were around 425F. I found some high temp silicon rated at 600F that I was thinking of using. I also thought of getting some 10" stove pipe and making my own double wall flue. Any ideas on how to seal around a single walled stove pipe?
    Last edited by AaronTheGeek; 12-19-2012, 12:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Nice work Aaron, the flue temps can get really hot so check and see if the sheet metal adapter can handle upwards of a 1000 degrees. You may want to protect the ceramic rope on the inside of the arch from reaching any food. Good for insulation, not so good around food. Good job, looking forward to seeing the move......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X