• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AaronTheGeek
    replied
    Re: 36" pompeii in WI in the winter

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Congrats, now another type of fun starts.
    Indeed! A roast yesterday and sourdough bread today. So much fun.

I am pleased to report that the oven is performing beautifully. The flue draws well, and the porthole door works like a charm.(thanks Chip)

~Aaron

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Congrats, now another type of fun starts.

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

We had pizza last night! It actually tasted like WF pizza too.

I want to thank everyone who has helped me with this build. I'll have to say this is the best forum I've ever seen. Everyone is friendly and helpful, and it's rare to see anyone get upset.

~Aaron

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by AaronTheGeek View Post

We're at 825f right now and there's pizza dough proofing.
    Awesome - enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Aaron,

Is it just the picture or are those tree limbs that close to the flue? I'd be a little concerned about an external fire.
    It looks closer in the pic than it is. I might take out the closest one.

We're at 825f right now and there's pizza dough proofing.

~Aaron

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Aaron,

Is it just the picture or are those tree limbs that close to the flue? I'd be a little concerned about an external fire.

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Thanks Laurentius, Karangi Dude and Russell!

so if you can cook as good as everything you have done so far you are going to have a lot of friends.
    I already have a lot of friends, but I'll have to learn to cook well with a wfo before I invite any over so I don't lose any

I actually found an advantage to curing in subzero weather! You can see moisture in air that is not really hot enough to be steam coming from different parts of the oven, and the steam you can see much better. The temp has been around 400f for the last 12 hrs or so, and I can no longer see any moisture coming out. So, pretty soon I'm going to start shoveling in charcoal and cranking up the temp to around 1000. Hopefully we'll have some pizzas this evening!

~Aaron

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Wow, end of one chapter, beginning of another. Fine job, great move, so if you can cook as good as everything you have done so far you are going to have a lot of friends.

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

Hi Aaron,

Well done. Hope you have many happy days with family and friends around your ovens fire.

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

My oven went for a ride today!! The forklift handled it fine though it was scary how much the forks flexed! Everything is fine after the move except for some hairline cracks in the SBC at almost every corner. Oh well, I guess I might just have to paint it when it warms up.

It will be interesting curing the oven with the temps around 1f tonight and 18f tomorrow. I'm using the Field Furnace curing method and I'm at 250F after 4 hrs. (I had a halogen lamp in the oven overnight that had it around 100 when we moved it) Hopefully I can stabilize at around 400 for the night.

The last photo shows where the oven is now in a temporary location. In the spring we will be pouring a new concrete patio next to the house with which the oven will be incorporated.

~Aaron

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Aaron,

Nice job with the polished concrete. I also am copying Mr. Chipster with his porthole idea. Found an old pyrex skillet cover just like Chipsters in a pile of pots my mom was sending to charity. I told her charity begins at home so I snagged it. As a caution, just check and make sure your fiber rope is food safe, some are not and you do not want to contaminate all the great pies that will be cooking soon.
    Polishing the concrete was a lot of fun, and easier than I thought it would be. I'm just guessing that my lid is pyrex as it isn't marked. It looks like pyrex to me but there isn't any way of knowing for sure. If it melts I'll have to replace it with a piece of Neoceram. I'll check into the ceramic braid.

Originally posted by Outeniqua
    Well done. Everything looks great - especially your polished concrete. Good luck with the rest.
    Thanks! We're planning on moving the oven in the morning. I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance.

~Aaron

Leave a comment:

• Outeniqua
    replied

Well done. Everything looks great - especially your polished concrete. Good luck with the rest.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Aaron,

Nice job with the polished concrete. I also am copying Mr. Chipster with his porthole idea. Found an old pyrex skillet cover just like Chipsters in a pile of pots my mom was sending to charity. I told her charity begins at home so I snagged it. As a caution, just check and make sure your fiber rope is food safe, some are not and you do not want to contaminate all the great pies that will be cooking soon.

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Thanks, Les!

Here's a few pics of the door I made today. It's insulated with 2" of CalSil, and needs handles and something to plug the holes in the glass yet. I got the idea for the window from mrchipster.

~Aaron

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

That's looking very nice Aaron. Good luck with the move.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X