• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AaronTheGeek
    replied
    Re: 36" pompeii in WI in the winter

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    This forklift was rated at 6000#, with the oven estimated at 2800#. Note the rating is at the lowest point with the boom retracted. We loaded it, but it got sketchy.
    By extending that boom you change the center of gravity significantly. The the length at which you had it extended to load it on the trailer probably dropped the rating to 2000#.

Equipment is generally underrated. For example, we lifted the base (5000#) off of the forms with a small telehandler rated at 4000#. We had to keep the boom all the way in, but it did it. The forklift I will use doesn't have an extendable boom and would probably lift 10000# though it would probably be unsafe to lift it very high.

If all else fails there is a guy a half mile down the road that runs a sawmill with a large front end loader. We've had him move stuff before and I'm sure I could get him to help me out.

So, in short.......I'm not worried about it.

Aaron

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

This forklift was rated at 6000#, with the oven estimated at 2800#. Note the rating is at the lowest point with the boom retracted. We loaded it, but it got sketchy.

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
    I got to looking at your build. How many yards of concrete did it take to fill your base? What kind of fork lift does your friend have? I fear that you are going to exceed the lifting abilities of your fork lift and get stuck with a finished oven in your garage. Hope I'm wrong.
    I hope you are wrong too. The forklift is rated at 9000 lbs.. There is 1.37yds. in the base which comes in just under 5000lbs.. 200 firebrick will be about 1600 lbs., and mortar 180lbs., which brings it to 6780lbs.. I'm not sure how much everything else will weigh, but I'm guessing the overall weight will be somewhere around 7500. At the most 8000lbs..

Leave a comment:

• Faith In Virginia
    replied

I got to looking at your build. How many yards of concrete did it take to fill your base? What kind of fork lift does your friend have? I fear that you are going to exceed the lifting abilities of your fork lift and get stuck with a finished oven in your garage. Hope I'm wrong.

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Here is a quick sketch of what I'm aiming for. I'm not sure on the colors yet.

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Up we go! I can see that it's going to be increasingly hard to keep the dome bricks from sliding. So far so good though. Getting the mortar to the right thickness is key.

I'm not getting as fussy with tapering the bricks like a lot of people do. I'm simply cutting the bricks in half on an angle. The arch bricks take a little more work, but they aren't turning out too bad.

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Got the hearth and soldier course bricks cut and laid out. Now I'm waiting for a friend who has some experience laying brick to come help me get started with the mortaring. This is getting exciting!

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Aaron,

To give the warm fuzzies, here a picture of a brick I used in my build. Mine were stored in open storage for several years and I have had no issues. If you are really concerned, when you cut the brick in half for your dome you can place the cut side in. As for the floor, I still think you are okay. Check some of the brick that came from the inner portion of the pallet and if they are the same I would say that is the characteristic of the this particular brick. If they are better, save the better faced ones for the floor and use the others for the dome. IMO
    Ahh, now I feel better.

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Creative on splitting the CaSi..........I can't tell for sure from the pics but the center on the nut on the angle iron on your IT needs to be the center of you brick, ie 2.5" brick, center should be 1.25". Also take a grinder and taper the botton of the angle iron at 45 degrees, it will help with moving the IT after the brick is placed. Good luck
    It is in the center. Thanks for the tip on the 45.

Got the floor and some half bricks cut. Will post pics later.

Aaron

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Creative on splitting the CaSi..........I can't tell for sure from the pics but the center on the nut on the angle iron on your IT needs to be the center of you brick, ie 2.5" brick, center should be 1.25". Also take a grinder and taper the botton of the angle iron at 45 degrees, it will help with moving the IT after the brick is placed. Good luck

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Aaron,

To give the warm fuzzies, here a picture of a brick I used in my build. Mine were stored in open storage for several years and I have had no issues. If you are really concerned, when you cut the brick in half for your dome you can place the cut side in. As for the floor, I still think you are okay. Check some of the brick that came from the inner portion of the pallet and if they are the same I would say that is the characteristic of the this particular brick. If they are better, save the better faced ones for the floor and use the others for the dome. IMO

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Thanks! That's what I needed.

We got the CaSi board laid out. The box that the Board came in had 27 sq. ft.. Not enough for two layers but too much for just one. So, we cut a few of the 12" wide pieces in half (width wise) and then, with a hand saw and a jig we made, split them (thickness wise) into two 1" pieces. I think the extra inch of CaSi will make a difference in regards to heat retention.

I got my IT made too. It didn't take as long as I thought it would(1hr).

Sorry for the poor photos....I didn't have my camera and had to use my phone.

Leave a comment:

• Polo
    replied

Your bricks are fine. Good to go, as they say.

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

I don't want to be impatient but.....does anyone have anything to say about the bricks?? I can't really move ahead with the project until I know. Sorry if it's a stupid question but since I paid about $360 for them I don't really want to use them only to find that they are worthless later. After looking at some older fire brick I have and seeing a some of the same kind of cracks I'm beginning to think it's normal.

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it!

Thanks for your help guys! You all have great builds and I've got a lot of info from reading your threads. Hopefully I can help others when I'm done.

I've started my "Sketchup" sketch on the base to kinda help visualize things. I've designed with 3D CAD professionally but, for some reason I don't feel like making a model of the oven. I think there's enough models and info on this forum to go by.

Attached are some pics of the fire brick I got. As you can see there are tiny cracks covering the surface. I'm hoping this is normal and not damage from freezing or something. (They were stored outside) I just don't want the surface popping out when they are heated. Anyone see anything like this before?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Aaron,

Karangi Dude has extensive floor temperature reading at various points. You can look on his thread but if I remember right, the temperature at the bottom of his floor brick was well under 1200 F.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X