Dome completed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome completed.

Thanks to some nice warm days here in Austin, I have completed the dome. Next step is the vent and chimney, then the facade. Hopefully this will be ready to go by the time the evenings get warmer in late March. You can refer to my blog for a few more photos of the construction.

I cut each brick into thirds, to make the walls approximately as thick as the floor (3 inches), and of a comparable thickness to some of the commercially manufactured ovens.

I used a quater-circle form to set the angle of the first nine rings of bricks. With the buttery-smooth Heat Stop 50 mortar, these rings were self-supporting. On the ninth ring, I had a little trouble keeping everything in place, so I made a set of styrofoam vanes to hold everything in place.

It is a hemispherical dome, with a radius of 21 inches.

-Chris-
    I'm building a Pompeii Oven in Austin, Texas. See my progress at:
    Il Forno Fumoso

Re: Dome completed.

She's beautiful. Eccelente.

What is your venting plan? Metal, constructed from brick, or cast?

Take care with your curing; it would be a shame to see a crack in that great work.
    James
    Last edited by james; 02-10-2007, 10:47 AM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Way to go Texas. Is anyone keeping a tally of forum user built ovens and the states/countries they come from? Texas has gotta' be up there. Hey, any chance of a photo looking back at the opening arch from inside the oven? It's not an oft seen angle.

Comment

I could look into a mapping application. Could be fun.

Does that seem like a good idea?

We also have ovens all around the world -- Asia, Europe, South America, Australia, New Zealand, the Middle East and the Carribean off the top of my head.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

That is really impressive. I've been advocating 1/3 brick ovens for a while:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...thick-215.html

I think this is a really good idea. I'm also interested in if your pompeii cracks: most pompeii builders use a portland/sand/fireclay mortar because of the expense of a real refractory mortar like heat-stop 50 (I think they call it that because it's fifty bucks a bag) I used a cut-every-brick method to keep my joints below the recommended 3/16 inch maximum. I'm looking forward to seeing how your dome behaves with bigger joints on the exterior.

Keep us posted.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Mapping Application is at Frapper

Originally posted by james View Post
            I could look into a mapping application. Could be fun.

Does that seem like a good idea?

We also have ovens all around the world -- Asia, Europe, South America, Australia, New Zealand, the Middle East and the Carribean off the top of my head.
            James
            (M) James, and redbricknick,

Consider a visit to Frappr Maps - My Maps

Several FB Forum members are also members of that site which shows the locations of "Frapper" Brickoventampa registered users. I'll try for a more direct link and perhaps a map.

Ciao,

Marcel
            "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
            but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

I will certainly take care to cure the oven slowly. I was fortunate enough to find a clay products manufacturer, who sold me four 50 lb bags of Heatstop 50 for $32 each. I used about 110 pounds in the project. The package says joints up to 3/8 inch are allowed. Near the top of the dome, where joints became larger, I tucked a brick chip into the joint for good luck.

The concrete block base will be covered with a limestone block veneer. Whether or not to include an arched entry to the wood storage or an angle-iron entry will depend on my developing masonry skills. The clay tile chimney will be supported by an arched brick vent. The upper portion of the oven will be clad in stucco, and finished out in a “Mission” style, with rounded corners and little alcoves, where candles or flowers can be placed.

I bought 140 firebricks for the oven. I used up all but a handful. The extra pieces and offcuts fill up half of a 5 gallon bucket.

There's an 8-foot fence near the oven, so I'll be going up about 9 feet with the chimney.

The sketch of the finished design:

-Chris-
              Il Forno Fumoso

Comment

Go the arch. Your masonry skills are more than adequate grasshopper.

Comment

(M) Testing this URL for Frappr

Frappr Maps - My Maps

Ciao,

Marcel

Comment

What do you think of Frappr? Does anyone know the folks who set up the the map on it from Tampa? We could talk with them about making it bigger, or do a new one through FB.com.

Hmmmm.
                    James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I entered myself in that map, but the interface seems a little clumsy.

I browsed the arch section of the fornobravo website, and found a lot of examples of brick and stucco mixed with what appears to be limestone block. I especially like this one:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/pizza_oven...ch/arch16.html
                      -Chris-
                      Il Forno Fumoso

Comment

Brickoventampa "heads up"

Originally posted by james View Post
                        What do you think of Frappr? Does anyone know the folks who set up the the map on it from Tampa? We could talk with them about making it bigger, or do a new one through FB.com.

Hmmmm.
                        James
                        (M) I got this from the Frappr > brickoventampa site:

brickoventampa
                        Welcome to the Brick Oven World Map! This map is dedicated to brick ovens all over the world.
                        TO SEE THE WEBSITE DEDICATED TO THE OVEN I BUILT IN TAMPA, CLICK HERE: BRICKOVENTAMPA

If you have your own oven or are in the process of building your own, please add yourself and include a picture of the oven. WHEN ADDING A PICTURE, MAKE SURE THE SIZE IS LESS THAN 1 MEGABYTE IN SIZE. (Otherwise, it might not show up). If you are having problems, please contact me (use the "Contact Admin" link at the top). Cheers, August Vanderdonckt (aka brickoventampa)

897 171 124 3
                        (M) I gave August Vanderdonckt a heads up for FornoBravo

Ciao,

Marcel

Comment

I received an e-mail through Frappr Maps.

Hello,

My name is August Vanderdonckt, I'm the person who originally started the brickoventampa Frappr Map.
                          If you would like to see changes to the map, let me know, and I will see what I can do.
                          It's been a while since I looked at the map (it has a life of its own), I would be more than happy to take a more active role again, if needed.

On a side note, I recently baked 61 pizzas in one evening in my oven and it was a blast! I will try to update my own website soon as I have added some long needed landscaping around my oven.

Cheers,
                          August Vanderdonckt
                          Wood Fired Brick Oven Tampa

Comment

Hello! I was trying to zoom in, to see who had listed their oven in Texas, and the map kept jumping to other countries! Other than that difficulty, it is fun to just sit and watch random ovens pop up all over the world.

-CC
                            -Chris-
                            Il Forno Fumoso

Comment

I know what you mean about the clumsy-ness.
                              Unfortunately, most of the layout is dictated by Frappr, not me.

To keep the map from jumping around, click on the red button on the top left of the map. This should make it stop jumping around.
                              Took me a while to figure that one out myself.

Cheers,
                              August Vdd

Comment

Working...
                              X