Problem with transition to arch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with transition to arch

I made a few calculation and build errors and am concerned with the transition of the first couple rows to the arch. (see photo). My solution was to fill with pieces of firebrick. Will this be a problem in the future?

Re: Problem with transition to arch

I'm a little confused because you have pic's in the gallery where you are way beyond this point. What I see in this pic should pose no problem, all the forces here are verticle. You also have it in an area where no one will notice it.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Les.

I finally got around to posting some pictures. When I originally encountered the problem I just figured I would cut and fill it with brick and mortar. I started second guessing myself on row 6 after looking at other builds. A little late. I appreciate your feedback. Any other advise after looking at my pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by CoyoteVB View Post
        Any other advise after looking at my pictures?
        It looks pretty good on your higher courses but I do not see the transistion to the arch. These things are pretty forgiving, I think you are good to go. BTW, the joints are looking very clean.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hi Coyote,

How did you attach the tool to the floor, or are you going to insert firebrick/plates later in the build?? I can't see if there are already firebricks on the floor?!

Kind regards,

Erwin

Comment

Hello Erwin-

I attached the IT tool directly to the firebrick floor that I ground smooth. It is hard to see in the photos. I used a masonry screw. When I laid out the floor the center was an intersection of bricks so the screw fit in the joint in the center. The tool I made was from a sliding door lock. About $12 US. The only modification I needed to make was tapping a 1/4 inch thread in the top to secure the "L" bracket. Everything else was included. I added a washer to allow it to move freely around the dome. See attached image.

Brian
            Last edited by CoyoteVB; 11-26-2012, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Hi CoyoteVB,

That's the way to do it!

I was afraid that you attached the tool to a mdf-floorplate and I saw no seams......
              Unscrewing the tool is no problem, but removing a full circle plate without seams would be virtual impossible..

Glad to see that you connected the tool directly to the firebricks!

Kind regards,

Erwin

Comment

Hello Brian,
                If it is not too late (I don't know how far you have gotten with your inner arch / dome transition), I would highly recommend that you bevel the inside edge of your inner arch. There are numerous threads here that discuss this subject. I have attached a couple pictures from RSandlers 36" Pompeii Oven in DC (to illustrate what I mean). There are many other threads that go into this in great detail.

I did not do this myself, and my oven turned out fine, but marrying an inner arch with a vertical inner face and a horizontal top to a spherical dome requires alot of "fancy cuts" - usually in two planes and not completely through the brick. The beveled arch provides a much neater transition.

The fact that you are using an IT should make this easier too.

If you decide not to bevel your inner arch, I would try to avoid using small bricks to fill the gaps. I found it worked better if I cut larger bricks complete the dome/arch transition. Just my .02.

Good Luck,
                AT

Comment

Never mind I just saw the picture you posted of the top of your dome. You have obviously gotten past the dome/arch transition...sorry for the confusion.

If nothing else, maybe this will raise awareness on this subject to somebody who hasn't gotten this far yet. Frankly, I think it is one of the few subjects that are not covered in sufficient detail in the FB Plans....But then again, discovering these little problems is part of the fun right?!

Congratulations on your dome completion.

AT

Comment

Thanks AT. You are correct. Cutting each brick to fit the arch took about about 4 hours. Beveling the inside of the arch may have been easier, quicker and cleaner.

Comment

Hi ATK406,

My oven will be build like you showed in the pictures. That's the way to do so and I didn't see it anywere in any plan I've read.

Thank you very much!!

Kind regards,

Erwin

Comment

Working...
                      X