Pompei on a trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompei on a trailer?

Hi there, I am debating between buying a mobile unit or make one my self. Does anybody here built a pompei on a trailer? I do not know if the bricks will stand the road, maybe a modular will be better, any ideas, suggestions? thanks
    nico

Re: Pompei on a trailer?

Our company has made ovens on trailers for mobile catering. For our first model, which was built in the summer of 2010, and is on the road today after hundreds of events and thousands of miles, we used (and still use) refractory concrete reinforced with stainless steel nails. Our first oven used a soapstone hearth, our second and future ovens will use the same refractory concrete we used for the dome. We used the pompeii plans for the dimensions of the oven, and built a sand form (see kiko denzer's build your own earth oven) book for full info on that technique. It is certainly do-able if you have construction, welding, and mechanical skills and have thought through the implications of putting 1000+ pounds of concrete on a trailer. Have fun!

Comment

No casting materials, whatsoever?

Comment

I've heard reports of brick ovens rattling to bits, so a modular is probably a better choice. I made my mobile oven dome in a single one piece casting for this reason and it has stood the test of years of firings, customer over firing abuse and corrugated roads. Regarding the floor, if you make it with castable in one piece it will crack because of uneven heating. If this doesn't bother you go ahead, otherwise engineer the cast into smaller sections to allow for the uneven expansion and contraction.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

thanks guys, I think I will go modular, buy a precast and get it assemble on the trailer....

Comment

Originally posted by johngalt View Post
            Our company has made ovens on trailers for mobile catering. For our first model, which was built in the summer of 2010, and is on the road today after hundreds of events and thousands of miles, we used (and still use) refractory concrete reinforced with stainless steel nails. Our first oven used a soapstone hearth, our second and future ovens will use the same refractory concrete we used for the dome. We used the pompeii plans for the dimensions of the oven, and built a sand form (see kiko denzer's build your own earth oven) book for full info on that technique. It is certainly do-able if you have construction, welding, and mechanical skills and have thought through the implications of putting 1000+ pounds of concrete on a trailer. Have fun!
            Just a quick question about your reinforcing, steel nails?? How does this work? Where are they placed? How many?

Comment

I bought an oven from FornoBravo to put on my trailer. I wish I had done a Gooseneck trailer instead of a regular hitch because my tongue weight is heavy (although still within limits... keep in mind I have a DRW F350 to tow it).

Some pics of the build process attached. We cured it too fast and put a crack in it, but that is only visible at temps (can't see it when cool). I have towed it for a year since then and there are no new cracks or issues.

Comment

Originally posted by phippsj View Post
                I bought an oven from FornoBravo to put on my trailer. I wish I had done a Gooseneck trailer instead of a regular hitch because my tongue weight is heavy (although still within limits... keep in mind I have a DRW F350 to tow it).

Some pics of the build process attached. We cured it too fast and put a crack in it, but that is only visible at temps (can't see it when cool). I have towed it for a year since then and there are no new cracks or issues.
                So did you build it from bricks, or was it a cast dome? Any reinforcing at all?

Comment

Originally posted by newaqua View Post
                  So did you build it from bricks, or was it a cast dome? Any reinforcing at all?
                  It was a Modena 2G120 from Fornobravo.

Comment

very nice set up!!

Comment

Love the set up! I am putting one of the back of an F-450, What did you use under the oven for cushion from bumps and road vibration if anything?

Comment

Love the set up! I am putting one of the back of an F-450, What did you use under the oven for cushion from bumps and road vibration if anything?

Comment

Working...
                        X