Mike's 36 in Central Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike's 36 in Central Florida

I have lurked in these forums for about 2 years, absorbing knowledge, saving money and gathering supplies to build my oven.

My 16 year old son is helping me and I am using parts of the process to reinforce life lessons like "building things square and level" and "why do I need to learn math in school?".

We dug a hole for the foundation and leveled out the ground, added 1000lbs of gravel and built some 6 inch forms for the slab. After tieing in some reinforcing mesh and rebar, we did some math and figured out that we (he) needed to move the first 48 bags of concrete off the huge stack in the garage and out to the backyard.

So it began...

Re: Mike's 36 in Central Florida

I dropped about 17 pictures in my album - here are a few recent pics to let you know where I am in the process.

Structural slab is poured for the hearth, just need to find FoamGlass or Insblok19 (or both) for my hearth within driving distance.

Wondering if I can use a "bridge saw" or if I should go purchase a new HF saw.

A few pics....

Comment

Looks like a great start, including the help of a strong back. A bridge saw will work fine if you have one, but if you have neither, get the chop style over the bridge.

Comment

I put pics of the bridge saw in another post - the head tilts so I can bevel my bricks, just wasn't sure if there were reasons to NOT use it and buy the HF saw.
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ase-18759.html

Comment

Looks good I plan and starting my build soon maybe I can buy the tools you will not need anymore.

Comment

ahh to have help... priceless. Good luck with your build. I'm about a month or so ahead of you with my 36". I'll pop in every now and then to see what's new.
            Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

I am back! I should be building again this weekend - had a few "setbacks" during the last 5 months. I shattered the bones in my right hand on January 2nd and then threw out my back in March. I have not been "allowed" to work on my oven for the last 4 months.

I bought the new 10 inch saw from Harbor Freight - was on sale for $199 and I had a 20% off coupon!

Bobnealy - if you want my mixer, let me know - it's only had about 90 bags thru it

Comment

Originally posted by MSoucy View Post
                I am back! I should be building again this weekend - had a few "setbacks" during the last 5 months. I shattered the bones in my right hand on January 2nd and then threw out my back in March. I have not been "allowed" to work on my oven for the last 4 months.

I bought the new 10 inch saw from Harbor Freight - was on sale for $199 and I had a 20% off coupon!

Bobnealy - if you want my mixer, let me know - it's only had about 90 bags thru it
                I think we can work something out on the mixer I will be in touch.

Comment

MSoucy, sorry to hear about your "set-backs". Please keep us up to date on your progress. Your oven stand looks terrific...and eerily familiar .

Your approach to "life lessons" is is also familiar to me. I had all of my kids involved (ages 5-12)...what I wouldn't have given to have an able bodied 16 yr old around when I was mixing 4 yds of concrete for our slab ...Just the same we had a great time building the oven and now that we are using it - at least twice a month (it's usually a week end thing), the joy just keeps on coming.

Keep up the good work. Keep your son involved (have you used any design software yet?) and enjoy every minute of it...even when your back is aching.

Regards,
                  AT

Comment

any update

Comment

Working...
                    X