Rickaroonie's 42 in build in Coomba Bay Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rickaroonie's 42 in build in Coomba Bay Australia

Well I've only gotten as far as putting the oven floor down. There the tiles at 300 by 300 by 75 so there pretty heavy to move around and cut. Was very sore at end of day. Not sure when I can get back into it as work and other commitments are taking priority.
    Photo's attached so far.

Rickaroonie

Comment

Where are you using the insulators, the reds dont from here look like they are?
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I hope they are insulating fire bricks. They have a tongue and groove joint like many insulating bricks, but this is the first time I've ever seen red ones.

Insulating fire bricks are usually designed for high temperature applications and therefore have a very low iron content (red)
        Last edited by david s; 03-16-2013, 02:43 PM.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

From here they look like wire cut red clay bricks.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

They are insulating brick, the ones Karnagi told me about. They're super light compared to a regular brick. They were more pink when I purchased them but turned red after getting wet from rain.

From the photo showing the oven floor over the insulting brick, I'll be starting the soldier course directly on the insulating brick.

The concern is appreciated guys.

Rickaroonie

Comment

Looks good. Those IFB are interesting. I haven't seen them before.

Maybe you had planned this, but if not, you should chamfer the back of your arch bricks to meet your dome. It makes the transition to tie the two together much easier .

See GianniFocaccia's build
              Last edited by deejayoh; 03-16-2013, 03:23 PM. Reason: add link
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Before you jump in with the soldier course check out the discussion on "share your crack stories"
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Here is my take on insulators, they weigh about .5 of a kilogram if that and are full of holes.
                  To find out yours dont perform properly after the build is way to late.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Yes, those look like an extruded wire cut product. They may have some insulating aggregate if they are light weight, but they are not made like normal insulation firebrick which rely on a chemical reaction in a mold and are then sawn into shape.

Comment

Hi all

My two bobs worth. I went to Firebrock and refractory in Melbourne. They had some cheap insulators. They were pink in color. Mark explained they were made from diatomaceous earth. So rickaroonie is it possible your IFB are similar product.?

I didn't get them, as calsil was the way I wanted to go, but what you have purchased looks a almost exact match.

I researched it and believe if they are they will do the job. The ones I saw were left over from a major furnace build.

Am Guessing If Alright For That Purpose Should Be Ok For Wfo Assuming This Is The Case.
                      Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-17-2013, 02:03 AM.
                      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Hello everyone,

Been too busy to get back to anyone so sorry about that. Even no time for the progress of oven. I've had the last 2.5 days and leaving for Melbourne in the morning so cant get back to oven for at least a couple of weeks.

I've added some photos of the last bit of progress.

Comment

Geez your yard looks great, we're just starting to get a bit of rain after a long hot summer here in SW Vic!

Your oven is coming along nicely, very good work!
                          Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

Nice arch, good to see it worked out prior on the template too.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Your arch looks very good, nicely thought out, it will pay major dividends as you build your dome.
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for that guys. I think the arch will of been the hardest part of the build. I'm not that good with compound angles. I dont think you can tell by the photos but the back of the arch needs a bit of grinding, though i'm pretty pleased with the outcome.
                                I'm not looking forward to the top bit of oven where the bricks want to fall in. Haven't yet decided how I'm going to tackle that one. And not to worried about the flue arch now as I've had some experience with the first arch. Just wish I had more time for the build. That's life I suppose.
                                Hopefully back into it after next week.
                                Thanks again for all the compliments.

Rickaroonie

Comment

Working...
                                X