Share your crack stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Share your crack stories

I don't know if that is the cause, probably more likely the firing thing--your floor bricks are still movable right? Probably a combination of everything! The pros would know, just have to get their attention!

Now you need to work on the fix... As brickie and stonecutter suggest, maybe you need to work 20 or 30 years perfecting the technique of flicking mortar with a great deal of accuracy. Then you can do your repairs successfully by filling the cracks when they unexpectantly appear--without even having to get inside the oven! But try to keep your eyes peeled for the occasional "full moon". That is the most difficult to get out of your mind!

All joking aside, keep asking the pros... or maybe better yet, search the archives--you never know what is there until you look deeper. That way, you keep the "wolf" at bay! So it can answer more important questions???

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
      This reminded me of a guy I worked around a while back. Same problem and no matter how hard you tried not to see...you did.

We called him spackle. More of a sheetrocker term but you get the idea.
      Wouldn't "moon beam", "high beam", "low beam", "running lights", or "harry" be better? At least it would be more descriptive of "phases of the moon?"

Yuck! Don't get me going, have touble sleeping as it is!

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
        Wouldn't "moon beam", "high beam", "low beam", "running lights", or "harry" be better? At least it would be more descriptive of "phases of the moon?"
        No.

He never showed his whole posterior, which nullified any term given to full exposure, and as for the extent of hair covering said posterior, I never cared to look longer than a millisecond.

The nickname was not only a name....it was a suggestion. Like this, "You need some spackle, Spackle."

In his case, the name was perfect. And it never ceased to produce belly laughs from everyone...except him of coarse. You would think he would buy longer tailed shirts...oh well.
        Last edited by stonecutter; 02-17-2013, 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

or a size bigger pants, suspenders or a belt!

Comment

I think I will just fire it and bake another pizza. If I have a complete dome failure it will probably be speculator. I will post a picture of my dilemma shortly.

Comment

Gudday
              Not having "best practice" doesn't mean your oven will not work.
              Use your oven and see what happens first. I recon it will still works cracks or no cracks. If they upset you on the outside of the dome enclose the whole dome and fill with pealite. Out of sit out of mind.

Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks Dave.

I attached a photo of my situation. You can only see cracks from the inside of the oven. I fired it up last night. I don't think they got any bigger. At some point, do I fill with mortar or just let it be a trademark of my WFO?

Comment

Gudday
                  Think again .....I have gapes between my bricks which at one stage I didn't like so ..... I ignored the one set of advice to ignore it. I liked the one that said crawl in with a piping bag of mortar . I did manage to crawl in to my 12x 20 entrance to discover ones torso blocks both light and air. Scared the hell out of me.
                  But I"m stubborn as well as stupid. So I ventured back with lamp and extraction (shop vac ). Filled a small space above the entrance and to one side and retreated to see if it would work.
                  The mortar fell out,I stopped worrying about , and set about cooking and eating and enjoying my oven

Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once

My Build
                  My Door

Comment

Originally posted by CoyoteVB View Post
                    Thanks Dave.

I attached a photo of my situation. You can only see cracks from the inside of the oven. I fired it up last night. I don't think they got any bigger. At some point, do I fill with mortar or just let it be a trademark of my WFO?
                    I have never really understood why a soldier course is recommended. Usually cracks in the dome begin at the base, which is the weak point of the dome and want to travel vertically. By doing a soldier course you are merely encouraging this to occur. The only advantage that I can see is that you get a little extra height at the perimeter of the dome. That could be achieved by laying two normal courses without leaning them in on the dome radius profile and laying them in bond. Is the soldier course recommended in the Pompeii plans and if so can anyone support it's advantages?
                    Last edited by david s; 02-19-2013, 03:47 AM.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Gudday
                      I built with a soldier course cause it was in the plans....but now I agree with you david s and most will ......but it's still in the plans

Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once

My Build
                      My Door

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                        Gudday
                        Think again .....I have gapes between my bricks which at one stage I didn't like so ..... I ignored the one set of advice to ignore it. I liked the one that said crawl in with a piping bag of mortar . I did manage to crawl in to my 12x 20 entrance to discover ones torso blocks both light and air. Scared the hell out of me.

Regards dave
                        Hi Dave

i resemble those remarks ......as an aside. I once renovated a bathroom and my plumber mate wanted me to crawl under house to put in a support under the shower base [hate that]. I panicked as there wasn't a lot of room he came under like a bloody rabbit and i got out, well tried too.

The access to under the house was only 4 bricks high. Got in easily on the way out i got half way [head outside, thank god] but got stuck and panicked. layed there for nearly 30 minutes to try to calm down before i could wriggle out. when you panick your chest expands.

It was the biggest my chest has ever been

So i understand how you may have felt squeezing into that small space, no light [or air] i had light and air but still scared the shit out of me.. as i couldn't move the more i panicked the more my chest expanded.

the funny thing was my mate couldn't get out either........ as there was this fat man blocking his exit. LOL
                        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                          I have never really understood why a soldier course is recommended. Usually cracks in the dome begin at the base, which is the weak point of the dome and want to travel vertically. By doing a soldier course you are merely encouraging this to occur. The only advantage that I can see is that you get a little extra height at the perimeter of the dome. That could be achieved by laying two normal courses without leaning them in on the dome radius profile and laying them in bond. Is the soldier course recommended in the Pompeii plans and if so can anyone support it's advantages?
                          Mick,
                          Perhaps your reinforced concrete on the outside of your dome has contributed to its strength at the base. The Pantheon in Rome is the largest unreinforced concrete dome in the world. To overcome the problem of weakness at its base they made the walls some 6 metres thick, then as the dome got progressively higher so the walls became progressively thinner. They even adjusted the mass of the aggregate for the upper walls by carting in pumice stone (lightweight volcanic stone) from Pompeii, hundreds of kilometers away.

The long vertical joins in the soldier bricks at the base of oven domes would surely be weaker than shorter ones.
                          Dave
                          Last edited by david s; 02-19-2013, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Yes, I did soak my bricks. I soaked them in a bucket until there were no more bubbles. I think sometimes up to 10-15 minutes.

Comment

Mortar is weaker than brick so as the crack wants to run vertically the soldiers provide an easier path. If the dome were built without mortar eg a one piece casting you still get a vertical crack starting at the base. My own mobile oven is a case in point. That's one reason I now make the dome in three pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone
                                I could even make an argument for a soldier course being better,
                                Its all about lateral thrust, the enemy of brickwork.
                                A soldier course is 230mm high as against a brick laid flat at 86mm high, the higher up you go the greater the forces.
                                Soldiers are inherently weak.
                                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X